The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again guys, so I recently finished my mojo 40 and I love it so much now I'm building the mojo 65 from scratch.

It says to space the wings 1" apart in the plans but the 1/2 balsa sandwiched between 2 1/8 ply only comes out to 3/4" do I need to space them 3/4" or is that a misprint?

Also the horizontal stab gets sheeted top and bottom or just top? Lastly it doesn't seem there is a whole lot of meet at the attachment points, has any of them ever blew the wings off in a hard snap or something?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Start by reviewing ..........

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6402

Do a search on the 65. There are a few mods that have been done over the years.

The wings are removable so the spacer is only used during construction.

The wing tube holds the wings just fine.

Sheet the horiz on 1 side only.........It is recommended to add some carbon on the trailing edge.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Doesn't matter, wings are removable.

Edit: shit PAR beat me

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I would recommend building the root ribs and sheeting them with a flat jig cut slightly smaller then the rib or similar, I used 1" MDF, I found R1 very hard to keep flat so I ended up with gaps between the wings and fuz on my first on I buit

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Simple jig for the root ribs.

Wings can also be bedded to the fuse with a epoxy and micro-balloon mix before covering to eliminate any unsightly gaps. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I'm coming along on my scratch mojo 65 it's been a fun build, at first I was overwhelmed it being more complex than the 40 but it's really been a breeze. The fuse is almost done and feels pretty heavy is this normal? I thought it would be flimsy but it's Rock solid. Wings are done except ordering the wing tube.

So I was wondering how it handles with a dle 20, seems a lot of people are using this motor, how would it compare to a mojo 40 with 55ax? I kind of wonder if I screwed up spending all this money on the 65 when the 40 is a blast already. Am I wasting my time or is the 65 really better than the 40?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It's a different slab than the 40 size for sure. The fuse may feel heavy if you're used to smaller builds but believe me, it is a very robust slab. I've cartwheeled mine and the first flight after putting the DLE on it I lost radio and it went in to failsafe. Needed some repairs and a new wing, but the fuse just needed some CA.
It's not going to have the pull of a 40 with a 55ax but it's not bad. Around two and a half minutes is a full throttle pull for example.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
imblaze89 said:
So I was wondering how it handles with a dle 20, seems a lot of people are using this motor, how would it compare to a mojo 40 with 55ax?
I kind of wonder if I screwed up spending all this money on the 65 when the 40 is a blast already. Am I wasting my time or is the 65 really better than the 40?
The 40 size Mojo with a .55 is crazy bro power. With a DLe .20, I believe you will happy with the power, but it is not like the .55 in any way. It won't spool as fast and you won't have 5:1 power to weight.

With a big stab, you will need to fly it out of mistakes. They are bigger, they don't tend to wind up in maneuvers. I still want a bigger Slab, but after having a couple of the larger slabs, I have gone back to the 44-55" slabs cause they are more fun to me. Not as much $$ on the line while having fun. You need to find what makes you happy, nobody can tell you what size slab you need, but when you find it, you will know.... :rockoncool:

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
YS 170 :wink:

<--------------------

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I'm afraid of that the 40 is going to be irreplaceable. Anyway quick question does the anti roll pin glue to the fuselage or one of the wing halves

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
imblaze89 said:
That's what I'm afraid of that the 40 is going to be irreplaceable. Anyway quick question does the anti roll pin glue to the fuselage or one of the wing halves
I put a little thin on the dowel at the center and let it dry, sometimes it takes a few drops of glue to make it a tight fit in the fuse. If it ever breaks, I can remove and replace easily.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm almost done with the mojo, and I'm really wondering where I'm going to put the radio equipment. Some put it in the wing and some stay in the fuse. I have no idea where to put it I didn't even cut all the holes out in the fuse since I built it from scratch, I guess I still could but I don't know how I would mount the battery. On my mojo 40 it's all in the wing and the extra weight causes problems with knife edge and all.

Also wish kind of hinges/hardware do people use? I would like the badass horns that just pivot, instead of the nylon with 4 holes but I don't know who makes em or where to get them . Anyone help me out?

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I would put everything in the wing. Its the easiest way to me. You engine will hang off the right side of the fuse so put all your electronics in the left wing to help counteract the engine.

I bought two sets of these to use on my stix60 when I build it. They seem nice.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/grplho2pcs11.html

·
Registered
3,614 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea wwrc is very proud of their stuff, I may try the dubro or something similar. Good idea on those connectors, I've never seen those. So should I use the robart style hinges? I've used them on a couple arfs before but anytime I try to use them on a build I can never get them drilled right so the control surface is in a bind, any trick to doing these? What about ignition, just strap it to the side of the fuse?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Robarts will definitely work. Robart makes a nice little drilling jig thats pretty inexpensive. Put a piece of thin foam behind your ignition and tywrap/velcro it where needed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I second the recommendation for the WrongWay hardware kit. It may not be the cheapest option, but it is good quality and easy to work with.

Note: Just a happy customer....

1 - 20 of 101 Posts