The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions for a motor that will turn a 12 x6 3 blade prop for a sport model on 4s. I’m not smart enough to figure it out on my own, but I’m smart enough to ask the gurus here😁. What else do you need to know? This is for a guy in my local club. I told him I’d ask the bros…
TH

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
If you are going on a sport model your likely going to need to go 6 s so you don’t have a 17” prop.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
If it must be a 12x6 3 blade, for power purposes you calculate like it's a 13x6.
How much does it weigh with recommended battery?
Motrolfly 3620-1000kV would be good up to 7lbs. Can't go wrong with their motors.
I may have a slightly used one but I can't remember the kV if it's for 4 or 6 cells. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Spinning a 12x6 three blade on 4S isn't really enough info.
How much does the model weigh?
For a sport type plane you're going to want a minimum of 100 watts per pound, and more likely 150 watts per pound.
Then you can choose a motor that will handle the required amount of watts.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Not sure it counts as a sport plane, but it could to some. The Eflite Timber Evolution runs 3-4s and an 11x7.5x3, basically a 12x6x3 equivalent. Much more info is needed.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
So, I had the Eflite Beaver 25E. Had the recommended Power 32--that motor was about 800w on 4S. I used a 13x6.5 APC for a while, and switched to a 12x8 Master Airscrew 3 blade for the looks. Performance was similar; the 3 blade pulled a little more amps, but was still in that 800w range on 4S. That plane was 66" w/s, about 5-5.5lbs. Performance was very good, but not ballistic--would run of of steam on a long vertical upline...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts