The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
16381 - 16400 of 16404 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for the helpful tips bro’s! If I can figure out the difference with the stuff that doesn’t shrink I’ll get some on order. Digging through my stash last night I did find a roll of clear solar film and a roll of micro lite. Probably plenty enough for the little Stix. But would like to order some doculam since the other stuff is no longer available.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Ultracote Parklite would also be a good option. Don't go the route I did though. I covered my Stix27 in tissue paper. Flew great but could only fly in the heat of the day. Try in the morning or afternoon when it gets cool and humid and you could see the covering starting to sag as it flew.

Reactions: Heinz57

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
It is a small little plane but it flies great.
I agree with BalsaDust. I've flown TriFlyer3D's Stix 27 a bunch of times and it flys awesome! Ron told me that it was more work to build than a .40 bird LOL.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I agree with BalsaDust. I've flown TriFlyer3D's Stix 27 a bunch of times and it flys awesome! Ron told me that it was more work to build than a .40 bird LOL.
Yes it is a lot of work to build mainly for how delicate you have to be with it while building.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Made a little progress on the Stix 27 today . Ran out of CA and our closest hobby shop is in the process of relocating- I have to agree, this thing is a little tougher than the larger slabs, but still enjoying the build.
Cabinetry Gas stove Wood Kitchen appliance Kitchen stove

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
That looks great! (y)

·
Registered
490 Posts
sheet, you send me plans and tip/root tracing and I will make one or 2 just to piss jakey off! 😁 😁 😁

you pay postage, I send you one! what colors you want?

plug, you in on this?:cool:

ask ron if that's ok, he prolly good with it, but i don't wanna rip anyone off.
WF that would be awesome 🤘🤘I’m definitely in! always wanted to try some WF future foam! In any color 😎 I tried to cut a LY 40 wing once, but I wasn’t very good at it. Looking back through my messages with Ron, the Stix 27 plans as well as his sbach series are available for free to members of the hood. I’ll send you a PM

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Not a plane, but a really fun project. I have a young man in our church that plays a mountain dulcimer and is teaching a few of the kids to play. He will be leaving in a couple of months to go to grad school and wanted to make something as a gift to the kids. After trying in vain to order some dulcimers online (and the fact that they are $800+), he asked if I could help make some. I jumped at the chance because the kids are really great and also thought it would be a great learning experience. Had a bunch of walnut laying around so we chopped it up and had a buddy sand the pieces down to the 1/8" thickness we needed.

There are traditionally two main dulcimer shapes: the hourglass and the teardrop shown here. We originally wanted to do the hourglass design but I had a bear of a time bending the sides to shape without splitting. In all, we made 5 of them. The first prototype went to my wife who also wants to learn to play. It was also the one we made all the mistakes on lol. My friend wanted to personalize each instrument for the child to make it more special, so we made each one with a different sound hole design. The F note is actually for our minister of music. The bass is for the oldest boy who loves fishing. His sister loves horses, and his little brother is a huge lizard fanatic lol.

For someone who knew nothing about building instruments, they came out pretty good, and sound great. I'm sure a professionally built one would be much nicer, but for a learning instrument, they will do fine, and the recipients were very happy. Still have one more to build for my friend's mother.

Brown Musical instrument Bag String instrument Natural material

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
Awesome. I used to play a little. My home town had several dulcimer makers but they’ve all closed shop during the plandemic and never reopened.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Since my wife and kids are on vacation, I ran to an auto parts store on my way home from work the other night and got a bottle of Loctite 272. I should have enough to last the rest of my lifetime now...

The muffler bolts on the VVRC 35 are now secured with thread locker.

Today I was able to to do some actual work on the Raven and I got the elevator servo mounting holes drilled and CA'd. I also put the landing gear cuffs back on but secured them with some canopy glue. Lastly I glued in the control horn for the elevator.

As far as 30 minute epoxy goes, I'm saving the last little bit I have for the rudder control horn. My goal for tomorrow is to get the elevator hinges glued and I have "test" using a Robart hinge point to see if my hinge glue is still good.

If I'm able to glue the hinges, I'll just use finishing epoxy to join the elevator halves so I have plenty of working/clean up time.

Attachments

16381 - 16400 of 16404 Posts