The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
16361 - 16380 of 16404 Posts

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Not building currently but the wife and I did go see the new Top Gun at the local drive in last night. Damn good movie.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Tree Rectangle

Reactions: Heinz57

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
^Cool to see it at a drive-in!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
^Cool to see it at a drive-in!
Yeah it was. Only down side was it was a work night and 1-1/2 hour from home so I didn't get home until almost 1AM and needed to be up tp go to work by 5AM.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
you know you're getting old when... you take a woman to a drive in, and actually see the movie! :p :p

Yes sir. I guess being married means you don't have to sneak around for the hanky panky stuff.

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
Tire Aircraft Automotive tire Asphalt Aviation

Table Toy airplane Vehicle Aircraft Toy

I un-built an OMP bighorn.
it was one of the finest ARFs I have assembled. It was very nice and clean. Great PNP setup out of the box BUT it tip stalled like an old over weight fatty cap232! It finally went in yesterday trying to land without flaps.
absolutely no washout in tbe tiny wings. Aileron reflex helped but didn’t stop it.
I wouldn’t recommend one.
doesn’t look too bad in the pictures But everything but the stab is broken. Everything. Firewall, cowling, hatch, windshield. Wings and flaps, wing tube. Fuse. It’s all a loose bag of balsa. They can’t take a hit into soft dirt like a slab, that’s for sure.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
That's a bummer, and bummer to hear about the tip stalling. I kinda wanted one of those, since EF discontinued the 65" 4S size TBM. However, that's why I love the TBM so much--it really doesn't have any bad habits. You can harrier around upright or inverted, no wonkiness. Put the crow out, and I can fly around high alpha at a walking pace in a 50' box. I have the 84" and 120" TBM--something the size of this Bighorn would be neat, since I have a few 4S packs I could use, from my TimberX, which I also hate--that also is a tip-stalling POS

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
I never liked my timber but it did slow flight much better but sucked at 3D. The big horn did great tumbles and super stable hover but needed to be flown like a big fat nitro turd on the wing. No small field or slow flight stuff.
It’s a pound lighter than the timber x but it doesn’t show it.
I hate for the motor and servos to goto waste so I’m thinking about getting the OMP super decathlon. But if it flies similar I’d have wasted another $300. So far I can’t get a real flight report from someone I deem able to have an opinion. All I get online is opinions from CJs.
I’m still pretty well burnt out on scratch building so I don’t want to build a slab for it though I think a slick 46 would probably be perfect for the big horns setup.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What about the Eflight Draco? It’s kind of along the same line as the Bighorn and Timber. Just curious has anyone seen it flown one of OMP Edge 540 60”? They are about $100 cheaper than Extreme Flight and look decent.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
you know you're getting old when... you take a woman to a drive in, and actually see the movie! :p :p
I just about peed myself I was laughing so hard.. So great to have WF back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Gomer has (had?) a Big Horn and it also flew just like Jake described. It's fairly small and light, but it flew like it was carrying a couple of bricks inside. Not really much fun at all to fly.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
As for the Draco, I test flew one for a club member. The detail they went to to duplicate the real Draco is very impressive to see! But overall it didn't really fly very well. Better than Gomer's Big Horn, but not worth the $600 price tag. I guess I was expecting it to be something like a thoroughbred version of a Timber, but it wasn't.

Reactions: chips303

·
Registered
20,112 Posts
If you squint, it’s mint 👌

I fixed it today and it did the same thing. Snapped to inverted when pulling from a 45* down line to flair for landing with 35* of flaps.
The leaves came from me tossing it back into a hover and flying through a tree just to make sure it was good and dead so it doesn’t hurt anyone else ever again.

Aircraft Vehicle Toy Toy airplane Monoplane

Aircraft Toy Vehicle Monoplane Propeller

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Monoplane Toy

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
As for the Draco, I test flew one for a club member. The detail they went to to duplicate the real Draco is very impressive to see! But overall it didn't really fly very well. Better than Gomer's Big Horn, but not worth the $600 price tag. I guess I was expecting it to be something like a thoroughbred version of a Timber, but it wasn't.
I flew a club member's for a minute or two; didn't wanna smash it. It's kind of a heavy turd as well; great scale looks and scale flight, but like McDDD said, not much fun. There's all kinds of planes that fly "scale" that don't cost $600. Dracos for sale all the time on FB for about $4-500--tells me no one really likes them that well...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey Bro’s- I’m debating building a Stix 27 for some backyard bashing :) can someone please give me some pointers on doculam for covering? Thickness? Best place to order or can it be purchased at staples? I know nothing about the stuff and never used it. Some of the links I found searching were old or dead… thanks for any input

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I don't know the thickness, but the stuff I have is definitely thinner than regular covering. Thinking maybe 1.5mil? Not sure though. It goes down similar to the regular stuff, but if I remember right, once it's stuck, it's stuck. It can take a lot of heat to get bad wrinkles out, but will burn through if you get it too hot. Lots of guys actually spray paint the adhesive side for color, but I didn't have very good luck doing that. Probably used too much paint and the adhesive couldn't get through it. Made it a LOT heavier, too. An airbrush would have made a big difference, I'm sure.

Good news is, it's cheap, so if you screw up, it won't cost you a ton!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I have done a few slabs with doculam. The key to painting the inside is a very light coat, otherwise it will not stick. I just used rust oleum rattle cans and it worked fine.
I will look to see what the thickness of mine is when I get home. There are also some varieties that guys had trouble with but can’t remember their issues, maybe it would not shrink, can’t remember.
I will see if my box still has all the info on it.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I've done a few with doculam. Got mine from Amazon. I did get the wrong stuff first, didn't shrink, like Doug said. Can't quite remember what the difference was. I'll see if I can look back and see what I bought. It's been a few years.

Reactions: Heinz57
16361 - 16380 of 16404 Posts