The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
16301 - 16320 of 16446 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Its as dark as tube is,looks like i be sanding alot. The wood is very light with no grain,did not know balsa could be that light,is that why it burned so much. Built to plans,the tube has 3/16 extra play in slot,guess thats why i read to use g glue,fill and tape over. Was thinking to leave tube exposed,so fill with epoxy i guess.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I was taught to lay the tube on the plan, and stack tight to it,shimming the wood to keep it flat.too much glue is🐷
At least use micro balloons with the epoxy

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I didn't like all the SFG's just being white foam. Taped them all off and took a black sharpie to them. I feel it cleans it up a lot.

Aircraft Toy airplane Airplane Vehicle Monoplane

Toy airplane Aircraft Toy Airplane Model aircraft

Reactions: Motowncali

·
Registered
59 Posts
Will do. I got the Timber X to satisfy my appetite for something to putter around with, but I just don't much like the way it flies. Was watching a video of a Lazy bee where the guy rarely got over a foot off the ground flying figure 8s with touch n go's at walking speed or less. Looked like a load of fun. The build seems a little involved with the laminates curved pieces and the weird wingtips but maybe those things could be updated with some more CNC parts.
I've put a couple hundred flights on mine. I pop a stock servo every few flights. Once I unlocked the AR637TA in it and played with the settings a bit I really started to like how it flew. 3D is greatly improved and hovering is a breeze. I still like to grab it and do some night flying here and there.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
I'm finally getting back to stuffing my multi-year Skeeter-36 project. I put a Mojo top on it when I framed it up, so I call it a Mo-Skeeter..
Aircraft Automotive design Wood Wing Space
Picture frame Wood Couch Rectangle Creative arts
Aircraft Airplane Toy airplane Toy Monoplane

Reactions: Xpress

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Looks good, Jeff!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
A buddy of mine flew my crack beaver and loved it even though he isn’t a 3D pilot. He ordered one for himself and brought it to me a week ago. Got it finished up today and even flew it once before passing it off to him during my lunch break tomorrow.
Toy Aircraft Airplane Vehicle Aviation
Plant Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Monoplane

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Im doing my first ever scratch wing build . This is a Defiant 42" . A lot of my friends have home built wings and they are fast and durable . I'd like it to be able to cruise about 100-110mph . These BadAss motors are great if you guys have never tried them . I'll be getting one soon for my Chin Yak I have had sitting in the bones for a few years .
Shade Triangle Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Reactions: BalsaDust

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
I saw your video you posted on RCG also. Looks fun! Nice work on the skis!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Photo dump from the AJ Raven build. I've had a lot going on with Christmas and work. I got the horizontal stab glued in and started working on mounting the engine to discover the standoffs were not tapped deep enough for the bolts.

Then I discovered that the standoffs were too long so I had to order some different ones. I still need 2-3mm so I cut some wood spacers from lite ply and the next step is to sand an angle on a side for 2 of them before I seal them up with thinned epoxy.

Oh and this is from my wife's MacBook now since IT has changed allowances a few times now and I went from being able to upload photos when not at work to everything being blocked unless it's a Company Written App or approved Microsoft Extension/Service.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I got the new standoffs and the threading for the bolts wasn't cut deep enough. In hindsight I should've just ran to Ace and see if they had some 5mm x 22mm bolts but I didn't.

The local big box stores don't carry anything like that so I drilled out two of the standoffs and tapped them deeper. After doing this, I was finally able to get them to sit flush up against the spacers on the firewall. Just 2 more to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
That's sharp!!!

Reactions: BalsaDust
16301 - 16320 of 16446 Posts