The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Two steps back

2K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Sky_Dancer 
#1 ·
After going to a fly in this weekend and not doing any flying I've had to take a good hard look at my progress in this hobby and make some decisions. The fly in was the first time I've been to the field in a couple of months at least and the last time I went my only flight attempt with my GP Easy Sport ended up with the plane cartwheeling into a cornfield. I didn't clear the corn at the end of the field and my landing gear caught a stalk which resulted in said cartwheel. Luckily, the plane wasn't hurt except for a broken prop. I had only flown my Burrito for a couple of flights earlier this year when due to my brothers passing I had to quit flying for awhile. I live on a lake and I tried a Mariner seaplane which I torpedoed on the maiden flight.
I've been practicing on Realflight lately and trying to learn some 3d but when it comes to actual flying the truth is I'm downright nervous and almost scared. I feel just like I did when I first started flying and I really don't have that much experience anyway.
What I've decided to do is take a couple of steps back. I've been working all day on getting my trainer back in flyable condition. I think I'm going to start back flying it for awhile. I want to get back to where I feel comfortable again before I try to fly anything else. After that I plan on moving on to my Easy Sport and then my Burrito. I'm going to keep on practicing on the sim and I do have a new foamy on the way to replace one I messed up before it ever flew. As far as glow though, I think it's going to be my trainer for a little bit. I'll be a 3d flying bro someday but right now I think I'm in over my head because of all my lost flying time this year.
I wonder if anyone else has ever had to kind of start over after a long abscence from flying or maybe it's just the fact of me not having that much experience to begin with.
Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
Duuuuuude! I took nearly fifteen years off due to unforseen circumstances which turned into the normal situation. After retiring and finding I no longer had a purpose in life I decided to get back into R/C. I did it with an Extra 300 78" wingspan and a G-38 in the nose.
Now that will pucker your bunghole.
Took me about two weeks to get it all put together and all the shit installed and checked out. Ran the engine for days on the ground, rechecked everything a dozen times and finally decided it wasn't gonna fly itself.

Took it to the club field, got a buddy to check it all over for me, checked the balance for the twentieth time, fueled her up, started the engine and took that sucker off for one of the best times I ever had. I still remembered how and it was spectacular. Man that Extra would fly like nothing I had ever experienced. All I did was fly some BIG lazy circles for the first tank but after that I cut 'er loose and found out I could still do all the silliness I used to.

My point is, Don't give up. Fly your trainer until you get comfortable again and then move on up. It will come if you don't try to force it. Give yourself time to enjoy the sport and ease into it. Remember, this is for fun.

#3 ·
Fly the heck out of that trainer...just being in the air is great! Get your basic piloting skills down, but use all the controls when you are flying your trained. Get used to running the rudder and throttle on every flight, but practice all the basics like smooth take-offs, landing approaches, landings, that kind of stuff.

#4 ·
Dittos on the trainer....I actually fly a trainer a good bit teaching ppl to fly, Its fun just to fly without any stress. Plus the guys Im traing like to see a low inverted pass with the tail nearly dragging the grass. Youll be glad you went back. :D

#5 ·
I started off hot and heavy. I was pretty good from the start (as far as first time flyers go). I didn't really have a crash until the day the guy that was teaching me left for FL for a month. He said I was fine and to just fly. I had just finished a Great Planes Big Stik .40. I had also just put a .60 2 stroke on it. It's just me and a Camodian friend at the field. I hit the throttle and it ran off the end of the runway. Our field in on a hill so I couldn't see it. I figured I could go get it or hit the throttle. I hit the throttle. Well out of nowhere she rises straight up from behind the rise (I don't think I had seen a hover at that point). It got about 30 feet off the ground (full throttle) and BANG! I didn't know what it was at the time but the muffler blew off. Now it's running funny but still running at full throttle. Now I'm a little shaken up, the plane is now running over the main road in front of the field...I was flying right OVER the road, I was either on high rates or the speed was making the plane extra responsive. I would try to use ailerons to go right and I would be upside down, the I would try the other way and I would be upside down again, my hands are shaking, I'm still right over the road and I am freaking out. My friend is yelling, in his accent, TURN LEFT, TURN RIGHT, TURN LEFT, TURN RIGHT! Well at this point I saw it go over the biggest tree on the horizon. I figured that was it and gave it full up elevator. It dissappeared for longer that it should have and then IT WAS BACK IN THE AIR! I handed the controls to my friend but it was a dead stick and went over a creek and broke up good in a corn field.
What I found was the landing gear next to a car (it hit in a park parking lot). Evidently I did an elevator to the ground, bent the alum gear all the way out, the gear sprung back into position and blew the plane back into the and breaking the prop at the same time.
Well that little incident freaked me out bad. I would start getting nervous a mile before I got to the field. My hands would shake. I was really afraid I might hurt someone. I was only a foot from hitting a car.
How did I get back on the horse? I bought a Zagi, no one I flew with thought this was cool. It didn't make me nervous and I could crash it. It taught me a lot about flying.
The next real plane after that was the Duck. It was a profile and when it was dialed in I trusted it completely. What really made my fear go away was using a flight sim every day. After working with G2 everyday I noticed my fear really went away.
And that is my story.

#6 ·
Sounds to me like you're on the right track. :D There's a lot of circle jerks out there that moved up too fast, and now have a low skill level and a plane they wouldn't dare put in to jeapordy by trying something new. You've got the right idea, just compete against yourself, have fun, keep pushing the enevelope and improving youre skills and you'll get there.

#7 ·
Yeah...get comfy with the trainer. Then get yourself a SPAD and a foamy. Man, you'll learn sweat free flying and you'll love it. I was always kinda nervous about dumping planes myself.....a SPAD3D and a 3DX solved that problem! Now I just don't give a shit. And because of it....I'm a pretty darn good 3D flier (not compared to the rest of the Bro's of course) Just gotta loose the fear and live like you're gonna crash your plane every day. Having a few spares sitting around really helps!! :lol:

#10 ·
cropdusterdave said:
Yeah...get comfy with the trainer. Then get yourself a SPAD and a foamy. Man, you'll learn sweat free flying and you'll love it. I was always kinda nervous about dumping planes myself.....a SPAD3D and a 3DX solved that problem! Now I just don't give a shit. And because of it....I'm a pretty darn good 3D flier (not compared to the rest of the Bro's of course) Just gotta loose the fear and live like you're gonna crash your plane every day. Having a few spares sitting around really helps!! :lol:
Yes a Spad is a good Idea the "SPAD3DTank" is the one to go for, when you are ready. The normal SPAD3D I can break amazingly easy :lol:
"did I do that?"

#11 ·
Everybody does things in a different order. I have a buddy - an excellent pilot (combat & fast deltas). He & I were fun-flying Sunday & he's just about perfected his hover, but can't fly below stall speed (high-alpha, harrier) for shit. I can harrier all day, but I'm a few weeks away from a good hover. I assume he started with a trainer. I started wth a combat plane. The best advice - fly something until you're comfortable with it. Then do something with it that makes you uncomfortable. Keep pushing the envelope & keep flying...

Also - if you do build a SPAD... get a grish prop (Tornado, Tempest series). Then the whole damned plane will be pretty much un-breakable!

#12 ·
Its not uncommon to stop this hobby and restart it because of one of two reasons.

1. Frustration. Difficult to overcome a hurdle, out of time/lack of money.
2. Bored. Flying without challenging yourself.

The last time I stoped for 7 years because all of my planes got stolen...so I think that is #1. Imagine if you brought all your planes out on a single day and crashed them all....and destroyed the motors and receivers at the same time.

Try to make it FUN again!!
But crashing is part of the hobby. If you didn't crash...then it would be boring. I can't speak for everyone...but I started trying to do 3d because I wasn't crashing anymore flying in circles....doing all the regular tricks and flying even the fast planes.

#15 ·
cropdusterdave said:
Profiles are easily built/ repaired/rebuilt. Low turf factor.
In SPAD, its EDF. Emotional Debt Factor.

I think if your trying to learn how to fly and you've crashed like 4 trainers...well then you have a right to start thinking about getting depressed. You might be trying to learn 3D before your ready. If you only on the first trainer and it can still be repaired, well then....

BUCK UP to the BAR BRO and have another !

I'm trying to just give you a small kick man. I am sorry for your real loss...but try and imagine what your real brother might say. I know its hard...but don't feel sorry for yourself.

#16 ·
Well I wen to the field today! The good news is that I can still fly! The bad news is that I put my trainer in the dirt slightly nose first and now I got some work to do. Fortunately the damage isn't real bad. Here's what happened though...
I got home from work and loaded up the truck while I waited for my son to get out of school. When he got home we headed on out to the field and got set up. I had a little trouble at first with the cranky old O.S. LA .46 on my trainer because it had been sitting awhile but after a bit she fired on up. I sat the plane out towards the field and then proceeded to just do a bit of taxiing aroung getting a feel for everything and waiting for my jitters to settle. There was no wind, It was a perfect day for this. I lined the plane up down the center of the field , gave her some throttle and eased back on the elevator. She climbed on out but almost immediately wanted to bank to the right. I reacted a got the wings level. I got some altitude and started flying around in circles. Yes, circles. :) Remember I'm trying to get my legs back under me as far as flying. The plane wanted to climb so I needed to feed in some down trim. I still have a horrible time finding the trims without looking and that involves taking my eyes off the plane a split second. I did manage to get a little down clicked in without any mishap but the plane is still wanting to bank right unless I hold a little aileron to the left. No big deal I just kept it level and kept flying my slow easy circles. My nerves started to go away and I was feeling pretty good so I decided that it was time to try and trim the ailerons to get rid of that right bank. Uh oh had to look away from the plane again and that was the mistake. I got all out of shape and the thing starts to dive. I got too close to the ground but I managed to get it almost leveled out. At this point though I'm a little panicky and I cut the throttle . She sat down kind of hard into an area of plowed up dirt . I get over there and nothing looks to bad except for the fact that i now have an engine covered in dirt. I picked up the plane and started back towards the truck when I realized I was missing a wheel. I sat the plane back down and went to find the wheel. Maybe if I had seen it when I first picked up the plane I could have found it but by this time I've lost the place where the plane was so no luck.
Anyway, the nose gear got bent back pretty good and crushed some of the wood on the front lower part of the fuse. The side of the fuse is cracked away from the firewall a little on one side. Nothing that can't be fixed, the firewall still is good and solid. Main thing I know will be cleaning the engine. I'll definitely have to take it apart. I'll have to cut some covering away to repair the fuse. She won't be pretty but she will fly again.
I'm trying to look on the good side of things here and I learned some things. I can still fly. What I had learned so far didn't just disappear. There was a time when I first started that if the plane had banked to the right immediately after take off that I would have lost it right there. My reflexes were good and quick and I reacted well and leveled the plane. I did make an error in judgement by taking my eyes off the plane but when it got it out of shape I managed to right it and slow it enough to minimize the damage. Maybe I shouldn't have cut the throttle , I might could have goosed it and flown out of there but I panicked. Hard to say what would have happened.
I should have landed the plane and then addressed the trim issues. I'm just not experienced enough to be trying to find the trims and do a whole lot of that when I'm in the air, that should come with time and practice.
All in all, I actually feel ok for having crashed . I got to fly and at least the damage isn't serious. I appreciate the support form my bros and the fact that y'all take the time to read and respond. That helps a lot.
Thanks,
Michael

#18 ·
Actually , believe it or not, this whole deal today boosted my confidence. I'm fired up to get the repairs done and get right back out there. I probably will hook up with one of my more experienced friends as far as getting the plane trimmed out but other than that I feel pretty good. A lot better than I did when I was sitting here doing nothing but the sim and wondering if I could still fly the real thing.
Michael

#22 ·
Sky_Dancer said:
...so I decided that it was time to try and trim the ailerons to get rid of that right bank. Uh oh had to look away from the plane...
There was the mistake, Bro.
Never take your eyes of an un-trimmed plane - never... and Damnit :!:
I've seen the best pilots at our field ask somebody else to fiddle the trims when maidening a plane. You bet your ass I had help when I maidened my Pizza Box - every time after a major repair - and there were plenty. And with my Burrito - I had somebody standing by - but the damned thing was so close to balanced - in spite of the builder - I didn't need the help. But the point is - the help was there. You had your son there - right? Now there's one less mistake for next time.
BTW - didn't mean for that to sound so harsh - I just got bitched at & I'm looking for a fight :twisted:

#23 ·
Tater said:
I've seen the best pilots at our field ask somebody else to fiddle the trims when maidening a plane.
That's why I fly with cross-trims -- it makes life real easy if you've got to feed in some trim.

The starter of this thread shouldn't feel bad about going back a step. I've been flying RC for nearly 40 years, enjoying everything from pylon, RC Combat (back in 1981 when it wasn't even popular), aerobatics, gliders to sport ships -- and now 3D.

Last weekend I had a really bad day and felt like I was a novice again. I'd been 3Ding with reckless abandon the day before but suddenly found myself with a severe case of brain fade -- to the point where I was actually having to stop and think which control inputs to give when the model was on the approach and flying towards me. I even got it wrong a couple of times (thank goodness for planes that can turn on a dime!).

I packed up and went home for a few hours. When i came back -- I was just as bad -- so I gave up before I wrecked something.

Today I was back to normal, dragging the tailwheel along the strip and doing backwards harrier approaches in the wind -- but I think that sometimes we all have days or even weeks when even the basics become hard.

#24 ·
Well, the engine has been taken apart and cleaned and the repairs are complete to the nose of the trainer. All I need to do now is put some covering on a couple of places that I had to cut away and reinstall the engine and nose gear. I'm going to see if I can get a little of that right bank out of the ailerons and the climb out of the elevator while this puppy is on the ground this time. I hope to fly again on Saturday and maybe even Sunday too if I can swing it. I plan on spending most of both days at the field. Even though it ended in the crash, the last trip to the field sure got me motivated! Who knows, I may yet fly the Burrito again this year. I'm not going to push it though. I'm gonna fly this trainer until I'm really comfortable again.
Michael

#26 ·
Tater said:
xjet said:
...cross-trims...
Wha... :?:
I have the trim for my elevator next to my throttle stick and the trim for my ailerons under the rudder stick (the throttle/rudder trims are also positioned on the elevator/aileron gymbals so all the trims are effectively crossed up.

This means that if you're test-flying a bird and find that it needs a shirtload of (say) right-trim, you can hold it level (and therefore keep it in the air) with your right thumb while adjusting the trim with your left (since that trim lever is cross-positioned on the left stick unit.

I don't usually have too much trouble with badly trimmed birds but I've seen plenty of other folks shouting "can you come set my trims?" or who struggle to set the trim by alternately correcting with their thum then taking their thumb off the stick and stabbing at the trim. This little procedure usually takes several itterations and in the meantime the bird is all over the sky :)

Some of these people don't have the sense (or ability) to fly on the sticks until they reach a safe height where they have more time to dick-around with the trims either -(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.