The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
341 - 360 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
Lookin' good tcipolla. One thing to do is add a small piece of tri-stock to the joint at the front of the canopy area. That stick needs a bit more support. I broke mine there assembling it. I added that piece on jetinteriorguy's and it is much, much stronger there now.

So I put 4 more flights on my Stix3D 27 yesterday. I really like this plane. The only things I can't seem to get it to do is flip well. It just pulls through a small loop. The other is elevators, it just won't do them. I pushed the 3S pack back as far as possible(1" back) to move the CG, which didn't actually change it much. I am going to try the 2S pack again to move the CG back and see if it'll help. Other wise it's a great flying plane. KE flight is outstanding, almost as good as my GBR50 Bipe and on par with my MadCap 50. I really like high speed snap rolls with it. They are hard and fast and stop instantly when you release the sticks.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Thanks Brnco. I'll add that in. There's a few spots I feel I should add some support even though Ron said not too at the beginning of this thread. I don't want to add any unnecessary weight though. Also, I'd like to point out to you, that you were right about not putting landing gear on my skeeter 30, no need for 'em, so thanks!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Revy said:
Bob Scheppele said:
How much control throw do you guys have on your Stix3d?. I have about as much throw as I can get, but the roll rate is a bit slower and loops are bigger than I would like. I only have a couple of flights on it (and normally outdoors with some wind), but it is flying pretty well. Mine weighs about 7.3 ounces with 350 mah 2S LiPo. I'm using a T-motor 2006 (discontinued model) and JR S185 servos.
Get some of Zam's arms! They'll help! 8)
The arms I am using are plenty long. I think I have a bit of binding from my hinges once I get to "extreme" throws. I just need to work them more and free them up.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
tcipolla said:
Thanks Brnco. I'll add that in. There's a few spots I feel I should add some support even though Ron said not too at the beginning of this thread. I don't want to add any unnecessary weight though. Also, I'd like to point out to you, that you were right about not putting landing gear on my skeeter 30, no need for 'em, so thanks!
Glad to help. BTW, the tip about reinforcing that 1 spot in the canopy came from Ron. I don't think you need to reinforce anymore of it though for flight load or durability. With that said I did add some 1/32" x 1/8" strips to the long TE runs on the rudder, elevator, rons on the second 1 I built. I could not measure a difference in weight on my scale so it was pretty minor. it kept them from bowing in when I shrunk the covering though.

When I build another I will use slightly harder balsa for the TE's.

In flight I have tried to destroy this thing, but I am convinced it can't be done. Well maybe Jake could do it, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

It's far more predictable in the wind than any similar size foamy I have flown. Well done Ron. :tu:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Alright, added some tri-stock, and, well, I couldn't help myself, added a few more cross braces in some of the open areas on the fuse, namely the first bay on the bottom side of the chin, and I added a vertical piece in the canopy area. Just handling it I can see myself breaking it while completing the rest of the build. Not doubting Ron's design, just for my own ADD/OCD.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
I understand. It's hard to beef them up, even harder until you've built a lot of slabs. Just be careful on the little ones as it does add up and weight matters. A stick or 2 won't matter though. Once it's covered it gets much stiffer and easier to handle, trust me on that.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
whtbronco said:
I understand. It's hard to beef them up, even harder until you've built a lot of slabs. Just be careful on the little ones as it does add up and weight matters. A stick or 2 won't matter though. Once it's covered it gets much stiffer and easier to handle, trust me on that.
Definitely. This is only my 2nd and a half slab (E-Yak on the bench at the same time). I just know how I am on the equipment sometimes so I figured I'd throw a few more pieces in there to stiffen it up a bit. Not going overkill though. This thing is little, I thought my skeeter 30 was small. Going together pretty easily, specially now since its just cutting sticks. Definitely want to get the scroll saw for future builds. This has me wanting to do the 41 size next.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
It'll be interesting to hear how it performs compared to the stock ribs. The lightening holes in the ribs look good.

Make sure you get the cross bracing in the wing. It's critical for strength.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
looks good! I have one that just needs the gear installed..I should get on that here someday!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Looks good. I like the clear wings to show off the frame work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well that little thing is a blast to fly.
It's also the smallest plane I've built. And being so small, it's also the first plane I attempted to fly in my back yard rather than the soccer field across the street.

My back yard has 45 foot pine trees all along the borders. :oops:

I have to find a longer stick.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
TomM said:
Almost. Just gotta install the guts.
Did you use wood instead of foam on the motor mount ? I need to break out the scroll saw so I shot TriFlyer a PM to get the plans .

Your lucky to have a soccer field across the street . Most of our fields are at schools . The schools all have fences around them now so shooters can't get in . So its a park or the flying field now .

·
Registered
186 Posts
MikeMcChiken said:
TomM said:
Almost. Just gotta install the guts.
Did you use wood instead of foam on the motor mount ? I need to break out the scroll saw so I shot TriFlyer a PM to get the plans .

Your lucky to have a soccer field across the street . Most of our fields are at schools . The schools all have fences around them now so shooters can't get in . So its a park or the flying field now .
I did a weird experiment of making a ply sandwich out of 5mm foam and 1/32" balsa for the center nose section. Had to scuff up the foam first, or the TiteBond glue just peels away from it. Then I epoxied a square of 1/8"ply for the motormount. A 2cell 800ma mounts right behind the motor ( you can see the top on the other side of the fuse)
I used a regular Hitec 6 channel rcvr, but took it out of the plastic case and wrapped it it thin tape, then stuck it in the wing leading edge. That probably saved a few grams. I used cheap 5 gram towerpro servos with wire pushrods.
The balance point is acceptable @ about 3/8" behind where the plans show, but I'd like to get it a little further forward. If I replace the tail wire pushrods with bamboo or cf, and move the 10A ESC more forward, that would do it.
stix27nose.jpg

I used very light "doculam" covering and still managed to warp the ailerons, so be careful there. I didn't sheet the wings because i hate sheeting. The wing seems very strong without it once it's covered. The extra "spars" you see are just really thin strips I glued in to help break the curve over the ribs. They warp with the covering, but help smooth the profile a bit.

Control horns were made of 1/16" plywood, glued into the balsa. I could save more weight by soldering longer servo wire and getting rid of the extra extension wire, but I just wanted to get this thing flying. I'll start another next week and refine it proper.
stix27underwing.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Well I decided to build one of these. Some of you may have already seen my build thread I started on it. Really digging the lines of it. Just need to get some lightweight covering and I will be all set as I have everything else for it.
Here is my thread.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35918&view=unread#unread

Attachments

341 - 360 of 367 Posts