321 - 340 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Impressive building speed... :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
Lectrictech, that's impressive build speed right there. BTW, the CHOBro(formerly VA ProBro) is scheduled for May 18 in Charlottesville.

calendar.php?view=event&calEid=295

I've only managed 1 more flight on mine so far. It was still a bit windy and I was in a very tight space. I decided that my next flight will be using a 3S pack as the 2S pack provides just enough power and in tight spaces it gets a bit uncomfortable at those uhoh moments. The plane does amazingly nice rolling moves. Almost as well as my GBR50 Bipe. I really hope I can get some additional flights soon with a bit more space and less wind. I am very impressed with this plane though and the lack of pitchiness and hunting that foamies typically exhibit is oh so nice.

jetinteriorguy's Stix is now 1 piece and I just finished putting a bit of paint on the EPP motor mount so it'll match the rest airframe. Servos should be available soon and then I'll get it RTF.

·
Registered
219 Posts
These are nice, with the laminating film its so easy to repair them and recover. I've been flying 4 others in clear, hate to waste too much time on a nice colorful finish only to dork it in in 2 or 3 flights and have to redo nice covering. I have been flying them indoors for the most part and being transparent has not been a problem. However outdoors at >100' its only a guess as to which side is up. I also need to go down on batt size. I'm running 3s 750 and it makes it heavy. Im gonna order smaller batts. On the current 4 under construction I moved the tail servos back one bay to pick up a little more aft CG. This is definatly a fun plane, kinda like a june bug on a string.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just finished 4 batterys here at the airport over the grass. I tried the 2s but not enough go power. I'm running the SG50 servos cause 44's were out of stock and I havent broke one yet. Emax 2812 motor also seem to have good power. VH has this stuff cheap enough that I can have 6-8 ready to fly so I can save broken planes till I get enough to be worth repairing at a time. I thought with some of the crashes I would have broke a servo but not yet, just airframe parts. I use only metal gears on the bigger stuff but I dont think this plane has enough inertia to hurt any thing. Gonna try outdoor again Wed. supposed to be nice maybe a bit more windy though.
10-4 on the CHOBRO, I planned on going last year but ended up flying some people to Kansas City. This year no excuses I'm goin

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
I just managed to grab a flight before dark as well. I tried a 3S 500mah pack this time. The power is saweeeeeet now. The increase is weight of .75oz is certainly noticable, though. I liked it a bit better with the 2S packs, but the power was just not there. I really like that this planes carries through moves like snap rolls and waterfalls, foamies just don't. This thing also stops a snap instantly when you release the sticks and you should see the snap rolls at high speed, OMG wicked. In nearly calm wind this time I found that I have a touch of pull to the canopy in KE and flips are not quite as tight as I'd like. KE spins take some work to get into and work out much easier at 1/2 or less throttle. At WOT I could not get a KE spin it just rolled out. I think part of that was due to it being so fast at WOT my fingers couldn't keep up. At WOT this thing is dang quick. It responds instantly to every control input though, sure wish my brain could, :lol: :lol: .

I've got a bit more setup work to do, but I really like this plane so far.

I was thinking about getting a 3S 350mah pack to try, but I'm not sure it's worth it to save .25oz.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did 2 more flights with battery back at cg even though the batts im using are heavier it still is fun just not really good with power off. I think lighter batts will help. One prob I'm having is keeping the batts attached. Viloent manouvers tend to loosen the covering with velcro and the structure is too weak to use velcro straps. May try some wing pockets on the next version

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
How did you manage to get the CG even close with the battery at the CG? Heavy motor? My 2S 350mah pack was at the motor mount and the 3S 500mah was half way from the motor mount to the wing. I even moved my tail servos up to the TE of the ailerons.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yea Clay, when I get in the mood to build I can really go through some wood. Thanks for the quick shipping and quality wood. If my servos and tubes had been here all 4 would have been done.

Bronco, my motor and prop are 59G and I had moved the motor back approx 1" to help. I tried a 2805 but just too slow so i am trying 2812 which is only 10G heavier. Much better response for getting me out of tight situations. the 4 latest i've moved the servos back as far as I can and with some 3s 350's it should be about right.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
Lectrictech said:
Bronco, my motor and prop are 59G and I had moved the motor back approx 1" to help. I tried a 2805 but just too slow so i am trying 2812 which is only 10G heavier. Much better response for getting me out of tight situations. the 4 latest i've moved the servos back as far as I can and with some 3s 350's it should be about right.
Ahh okay, that makes sense. My motor is 24g, not sure what the prop weighs I'll check that tonight, but I doubt it's 35g LOL.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
whtbronco said:
Lectrictech said:
Ahh okay, that makes sense. My motor is 24g, not sure what the prop weighs I'll check that tonight, but I doubt it's 35g LOL.
My prop and motor are 30g combined. My 2S battery is 27g so combined they weigh about the same as your motor. So that makes sense why you could put the battery on the CG.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
How much control throw do you guys have on your Stix3d?. I have about as much throw as I can get, but the roll rate is a bit slower and loops are bigger than I would like. I only have a couple of flights on it (and normally outdoors with some wind), but it is flying pretty well. Mine weighs about 7.3 ounces with 350 mah 2S LiPo. I'm using a T-motor 2006 (discontinued model) and JR S185 servos.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
I have all the throw I can get already as well. The roll rate on mine is very nice, rudder is actually plenty even though it's limited by the elevator. I would like a bit more elevator throw, but the servo are already protesting at full throw so it's not really an option. I did have to open up the fuse to clear the elevator though, 1/4" depth notch up and down. I am going to push the CG back just a touch and see if that will tighten flips, loops at full elevator are nice and tight though.

I have the same servos in mine all around. I think in that size range the S185 very well may be the best available right now. Mine have been abused for several years now and remain flawless.

Mine is up to about 8oz now. It was 7.5oz with 2S, but I needed more power so I went to 3S. I'm turning an 8x4 GWS DD prop now.

Going to 3S and a smaller prop would likely loosen yours up some with the higher rpm. Won't do much if anything for the 'rons though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bob Scheppele said:
How much control throw do you guys have on your Stix3d?. I have about as much throw as I can get, but the roll rate is a bit slower and loops are bigger than I would like. I only have a couple of flights on it (and normally outdoors with some wind), but it is flying pretty well. Mine weighs about 7.3 ounces with 350 mah 2S LiPo. I'm using a T-motor 2006 (discontinued model) and JR S185 servos.
Get some of Zam's arms! They'll help! 8)

321 - 340 of 367 Posts