The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actually, it’s been so long it’s either a WMPFor a Fancy Foam model. They are all about the same. I’m going to try a VH Giles 202 next time I need one…..maybe another 10 yrs. from now.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
That looks good. Sounds fun (y) (y)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Went to charge and fly 202 today,did good but left extra batts on charger last 20 days. Not charging as its auto but even after it turned off must have drained batts,the charger does not see them. Good they not big batts,just forgot them. Had some new grafteens,550 ma,charged them up and flew but they were weak,i was easy on them. Got home,put sto charge on them,seemed ok. Do they need break in,never had batts act like that. 202 was great as always.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
No break in for lipos. They come at storage charge, then charge up and fly.
I never heard of leaving the batteries "on" the charger. I wouldn't do that.
I like to charge my batteries to fly and then I fly to storage charge rate (as opposed to flying to low voltage rate).
Doing that I've got years of life out of my lipos.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The day before i went to hospital i flew and put batts on sto charge,for got them so they been sitting 20 days on hitec charger. I be guessing it slowly drew them down,it,the hitec charger says no batt when i plug them up. Had 2 new batts for 90 days,never used,charged them up and they were poor. I did store them outside,i may have killed them to. I am guilty of being bad to my batts,and pay the price for it,

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Guess i need check all my batts to see if the SC cold got to them,put them in shop on the coldest days,just dont like leaving them there. Shucks,never got to low 20s this year.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Two strikes here..
First strike..... you are not, by your own admission,savvy on lipo batterys.

-2 you buy a shitty charger and hope for the best!!

-3 you burn your entire lifetime assets down to to the ground because you dont know what you dont know!!!😢

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Two strikes here..
First strike..... you are not, by your own admission,savvy on lipo batterys.

-2 you buy a shitty charger and hope for the best!!

-3 you burn your entire lifetime assets down to to the ground because you dont know what you dont know!!!😢

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
No break in for lipos. They come at storage charge, then charge up and fly.
I never heard of leaving the batteries "on" the charger. I wouldn't do that.
I like to charge my batteries to fly and then I fly to storage charge rate (as opposed to flying to low voltage rate).
Doing that I've got years of life out of my lipos.
THIS

Do not leave your lipos charged. That’s a lot of stored energy and it will degrade the battery leaving them at full charge for 24+ hours.
Charge less than 24hrs before you fly and after you’re done bring them all to storage charge. I set my timers to get me very close to storage charge anyway so I don’t have to put them back on a charger.
Contrary to popular belief, it isn’t usually the dead lipos or puffy lipos that catch fire. It’s out of balance lipos that usually burst. Don’t charge over 2x their capacity (4.4amps for a 2200mah) and balance them atleast every dozen cycles.
I keep my lipos in a lipo bag and those bags in a metal toolbox that I leave on the concrete floor in the garage just incase.

·
Registered
182 Posts
THIS

Do not leave your lipos charged. That’s a lot of stored energy and it will degrade the battery leaving them at full charge for 24+ hours.
Charge less than 24hrs before you fly and after you’re done bring them all to storage charge. I set my timers to get me very close to storage charge anyway so I don’t have to put them back on a charger.
Contrary to popular belief, it isn’t usually the dead lipos or puffy lipos that catch fire. It’s out of balance lipos that usually burst. Don’t charge over 2x their capacity (4.4amps for a 2200mah) and balance them atleast every dozen cycles.
I keep my lipos in a lipo bag and those bags in a metal toolbox that I leave on the concrete floor in the garage just incase.
what he said…. plus re-balance/storage charge your lipos when sitting idle for a long time. They continue to discharge slowly over time. Even new in the box that have never been charged before. I didn’t fly for a few years and kind of forgot about them sitting in the Lipo bags. It was an eye opener for me. I lost quite a few lipos.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Ouch,you guys hitting hard. I do bal charge,always storage charge after flying. Never get them but warm while flying. My big sin,fly them to low of charge and store them in the cold i think,that was my question,do you guys store batts outside. I keep them in a big jab saw can,steel. And i thought hitec chargers be good,it talks,blinks,dings to make sure you be nice to them batts. OK,i killed them 2,but,i was up to my ass in gators. The new ones i dont know,will test more. Good news is there small,cheap packs.

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
I don’t think cold will kill them. I’m not sure what the freezing point of that liquid in the packs is though but I always left mine in the garage in winter here in Kentucky and I don’t recon I lost any or had any puff due to cold. Of course they don’t perform well in the cold but it shouldn’t kill them. But I’m sure someone here knows more about that than I do. That’s just my experience.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
According to a big battery testing thread on RCG, the electrolyte in lipos won't freeze until it gets down to about -40C, which also happens to be -40F. Some on that thread swear that storing lipos in a fridge or freezer makes them last longer. The catch is that you need to let them fully warm up to room temperature before charging them.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Should be good in s.c.,i do see power loss when packs are cold,warms up there good as ever. No chance my packs freezing,my rocks either. I ant going where its neg 40,well,maybe on tv,even then i will have a fire in stove and dr meds close to hand. lol

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
I seem to remember that discussion.
I definitely see a lost in both power and flight time before freezing in batteries even if kept warm in the car or jacket before flight.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
🙄🙀I recall that to,cant remember where. How many store there packs outdoor temps,how many keep them in there shop. But,not fare to judge on my two packs,could been on hk floor for a year,then set 90 days here. Plus,rcg says freeze them.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I flew those packs today,they were ok time wize but much weaker power wize. Put it up to cheap packs,or plug got took,they were suppose prem packs. These were liperior ,well you buy and try. Most of the other brands have been good enough for the money.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
OK,i be a dummy and dont know why. Charged up some packs,went flying. Surprize,took one of the new poor packs to try,shucks,it did fine this time. My other bigger packs were fine also. Did it take 4 flights to get it going,dont know but i charged them all the same. So,if you get a slow one give it a chance,who knows.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts