The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This xxl is big for a foamey,its like a mojo40. Dont fit on my table well. That 39in may well be better sized,hope it flys like a big 202,thats what it looks like,bigger,thicker,202. Bet i got Straightup drooling,maybe red niji to. lol

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
And while were here,would st size servos be ok. I have some 517 jr,or hitec 55 and 82 i think. Guess st servos would add 3oz,best i look in boxes see what there,a pack rat i is.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I'm enjoying my own West Mich plane.. I have the 39" McFoamy XL. It goes to the field every time I go.. Dave is right as usual on a good 13g servo for the plane. I have KST DS113's in mine and am very happy with them. Don't add 3 oz to the plane with servo's. Every gram counts with foamys. The 113 is 12g. Don't put standard servo's in it.
This pic is of Bro JRR flying my plane at the Eldon ProBro.
Sky Hat Sun hat Land lot Tree

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
JR 517: Too heavy. Too big. Too slow.
Hitec 55: Too small. Too weak. Nylon gears.
Hitec 82: Not a fan.

Get the EMax ES09MD servos. Then get four spares to keep in the box for your next plane.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
McDDD never steered me wrong,4 emax ordered,46.00 total. Cheap enough and good reviews to. I have to admit,i like the dig servos on 202,heck,im getting up to date,only 10 years behind. Nope,no open trans in my future,got to draw a line somewhere. And,straightup, i was talking about the plane, IF it flys like 202 ,we know what red niji thinking. I be just funnin now.

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
I’d recommend listening to MCDDD. I had a couple Sabre 44’s and I think I used HS-85’s which are metal gear. Not sure if they’re digital or not but I did get blow back on occasion so if Dave says the 09’s are good, I don’t think you’ll find a cheaper option.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Just like christmas😎

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
It's coming along Plug! You'll have fun with that!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My goal is,KEEP WEIGHT DOWN. I want a floater,as is,its very light if i dont muck it up. Rustum paint did good. Might even skip some of the cf. Them 1/2 leading edges dont look like smooth air flow,but leaving them as is,worked for them.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I wouldn't skip the cf if the directions call for it. I think you are talking about the truss bracing down the fuselage. Definitely do that bracing. Your plane will be stiff as a noodle if you omit that....

My McFoamy XL (almost identical to yours, except a couple of inch less wingspan) came out at 13.5 ounces ready to fly with a 800 mah 3S Lipo. It flys real light. If you come in at 15 oz. or so, it will fly real floaty.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I think the thickness is the same as yours. You said your wing span is 43"? My McFoamy XL is 39"
That is the West Mich paint job by the way..
Sky Tree Natural landscape Slope Grass

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
I’d like to try the WMPF Highlander but everyone on RCG says it’s hard to actually get it to fly well because of its size. Apparently to have enough power to 3D it needs a larger motor and lipo which apparently really hurt the on the wing performance. So I’ve been hesitant to buy one.
I had a UMX timber and I didn’t like it. It wouldn’t hover and flew too fast for my liking. I want to avoid the same characteristics with the Highlander

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is my 32” WMP with a kylon shorts paint job. After 9+ years and many repairs it still makes me smile. I love to put it up on a windy day and just hold in place. I used foam tac, but even it gets brittle over time. I just re-glued the elevator yesterday. I added a little extra bracing to it to stiffen it up a bit. I’m sure your 44” will fly great!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 81 Posts