The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Sledge Nose job

596 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  WessCo
Hey all you sledge drivers.

Anyone ever move your motor WAAY back before? Since Nashville, I've been experimenting, and I like it with 3oz of tire weights under the skid. I'm looking to remove the weight, so the logical step is to move the motor back. I'll need to cut into the balsa filler between the mounts, and remove a few inches off the front for prop clearance. I'm also moving the tank inside the wing to the standard location shown on the plans.

Will chopping 2" of the nose off the plane hurt the KE (much)? It flys great now, but I figure it will get 4 oz lighter and be right at 4 lb 3 oz. Otherwise it will be 4 lb 7 oz.

I e-mailed Jeff but he must be busy. Any opinions? It's building weather out there now, but this weekend may shape up to try it out.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
offtopic:

Do you get that spinner with the GK version? I'm considering a Saito 82 GK for my burrito :twisted:
Nope, that spinner isn't stock, unless they left it out of mine :eek:

Hey Windy, I've done a Nose Job on my Sledge, Saito .91 up front. It's not been a problem, except I only went back like 3/4 inch and wish I had gone more. From your pic I'm thinking you might be headed for glow igniter problems, the wing gets in the way. With my Burrito I ended up putting a remote igniter on it. But the Sledge just needs a short igniter, so far.
It will change your moments some, but I don't think it will be enough to kill the performance..... I always prefer moving something around as opposed to adding weight.... I'm assuming you already have the battery and RX in the trailing edge....
IMO It's going to get a lot more short coupled moving back that far, spins will be faster and tighter but hovering will become much touchier. I would suggest making a battery pouch on the non exhaust side of the fuselage towards the tail and installing your battery there. slaon had the battery strapped on the tail of his EF edge with the saito 100 and it didnt look to suffer any problems from it
My battery is a 1020 mAH lipo, so it's not worth moving anywhere. I've got a lot of foam around it and it won't fit next to the RX in the rear anyway.

Already bought a sullivan head lock for the glo igniter in anticipation of no wing clearance anymore. Thanks for the warning Gordo. Did you get one? Where did you end up mounting the remote Ni-Starter jack?

The spinner is Dubro. The color used to match the valve covers, but they're fading with age now.
Put the elevator servo under the stab. My first Sledge was like that. OK, my second one is too... :lol:

Moving one servo couldn't be too much more work than cutting down the nose, right?
making the tail short couple would hurt the hover, are your servos in the tail? i dont think you will notice 4 oz that much anyhow
The Burrito has an extremely stubby nose..... Hover's like a mofo.... I think it's really the high point of the wings airfoil to the center of the stab distance that makes if feel more short coupled.... Short coupling the tail and the nose are very different. Although I think you're right about the spins speeding up Tom.... Probably the loops will tighten up too.

Knife edge should stay pretty clean with the tapered wing and the fuse area not changing very much....
Thanks for all the comments. The servos will go in the tail of my Mojo (as designed) when I finally get time for that project.

After all that work routing the pull pull stuff, it would be a shame to move the servos to the tail at this point. I may do that after all if I end up needing more weight back there.

The plane uses all contest balsa for sheeting, so that's why it's so nose heavy. I did this to myself!

I am looking forward to tighter waterfalls and loops. That's the only thing I miss about this plane that my 4D actually did better. I think putting the engine close to the CG is a very GOOD thing for agility, as I think most of you are saying. I was mostly worried about losing area ahead of the wing which helps in KE flight.
Wind Junkie said:
Thanks for all the comments. The servos will go in the tail of my Mojo (as designed) when I finally get time for that project.

After all that work routing the pull pull stuff, it would be a shame to move the servos to the tail at this point. I may do that after all if I end up needing more weight back there.

The plane uses all contest balsa for sheeting, so that's why it's so nose heavy. I did this to myself!

I am looking forward to tighter waterfalls and loops. That's the only thing I miss about this plane that my 4D actually did better. I think putting the engine close to the CG is a very GOOD thing for agility, as I think most of you are saying. I was mostly worried about losing area ahead of the wing which helps in KE flight.
I think the shape of the wing has a lot to do with KE.... So you'll be okay hacking the nose some.....

I've been following Latch's post on the 4D.... That looks like one cool bird!! I wish I had known about it when I was in the throws of learning 3D... Nice work on the design of that bad boy!!
Take off the Spinner it weighs 1oz then you can remove 1 oz of tail weight.
Total = 2ozs havent had to move anything yet... :D

Just my .02
I've done this! Over a year ago I cut the nose off my sledge so I could move back my Saito 72. Everything worked real well but I could no longer use a standard glow driver. The Saito Glow plug is at an angle making it very hard to start the motor without a remote glow driver. I put an OS SX 50 on my shortened nose and everything is fine. The plane tracks like before.
Wind Junkie said:
Did you get one? Where did you end up mounting the remote Ni-Starter jack?
The one I used was an MPI brand, and I mounted it right on top of the engine on the fuse. But that was on the Burrito, as Paul said notoriously short nosed.

FWIW I think the Burrito has the tightest waterfalls/loop of any plane I've seen. So shortening the nose may make it better on the Sledge. But I don''t see the loss of area being a serious varriable. It will be interesting. Bill pointed out to me that I didn't take off nearly as much as you.
wind junkie, I have been out of town, I PM'd you back. Jeff
Wind Junkie said:
Hey all you sledge drivers.

Anyone ever move your motor WAAY back before? Since Nashville, I've been experimenting, and I like it with 3oz of tire weights under the skid. I'm looking to remove the weight, so the logical step is to move the motor back. I'll need to cut into the balsa filler between the mounts, and remove a few inches off the front for prop clearance. I'm also moving the tank inside the wing to the standard location shown on the plans.

Will chopping 2" of the nose off the plane hurt the KE (much)? It flys great now, but I figure it will get 4 oz lighter and be right at 4 lb 3 oz. Otherwise it will be 4 lb 7 oz.

I e-mailed Jeff but he must be busy. Any opinions? It's building weather out there now, but this weekend may shape up to try it out.
I did take about 1/2" off the nose of my sledge and I don't think it hurt the flying characteristics at all....I did not do 2" like what you are talking about so I do not know how that would affect the plane.
My Gal is back in action: 4 lb 4.25 oz with the pants. The pair weighs 1 oz and they're for the fall season. They keep the mud off the wing bottom. (Gotta keep the "Gator flag" pretty ya know).

Attachments

See less See more
Here's a side view so you can see how neat and compact she is:

Attachments

See less See more
Waterfalls are MUCH better than before. She snaps right around just like my 4D did. The short nose is the key.

Attachments

See less See more
This is the best flying 3D plane I have. Knife edge is still excellent. It's almost perfect just the way it is now. Almost no coupling.

It's going to be a lot of fun tweaking her so I can try to be as precise as you'all.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.