The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
41 - 60 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
3DHUSKER said:
Wild Fred said:
looks like krabby patties tonight! wohoo! blue crab is awesome. bitch to pick, but makes krab cakes that are delicious. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/82347 ... trending_b

I like salmon patties with mac and cheese and peas. but these beat the hell outa those!

by the way, they are mean bastards! definately crabby. will pinch shit out of you if they have a chance!
How big do those SOB's get?
State of Virginia the legal limit is 5" wide shell and the average for them is around 5-1/2" wide. I have caught some over 6 before and state record for VA is one that was over 10" wide. As WildFred said they are some good eating but a ton of work.

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
yeah, one was about 6, other slightly bigger. claws just the right size to grab a finger. and they can reach anywhere you grab them except for the back leg close to body. me, i use metal tongs. grab them and drop them in the pot for an 8 minute boil, and start picking! lot of garlic in water, and melted butter for dipping suits me. lot of seasonings work. haven't caught any stone crab here, but little seafood place around corner sells live blues, stone crab claw,smoked mullet, and nice size frozen shrimp. they got stack of pots, catch about everything but the shrimp; they big white shrimp, probably mayport.

didn't have enough for pattiers, settled for crab dip! https://www.food.com/recipe/blue-crab-d ... &scaleto=2 is delicious.

bought one of these online, super cheap. like 4 bucks. tie a filleted fish carcass in it, and toss in. check whenever. recycling at it's best!

get a lot of crown conch and whelks in it too, edible and saw a ceviche (conch salad) recipe for them, but haven't tried. small and sandy, would have to put in a bag or something and hang several days in clear water to clean them out, i think. have tried bashing them and using for sheepshead bait- there are several that cruise the seawall and taunt me, haven't caught one yet! if I had fiddler crabs probably could. they say scrape oysters off dock pilings with a shovel and use those or shrimp, but as long as mangrove biting, why bother? hear they tasty, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
When I cook blue crab its normally 7-8 minute boil like you said but in the water I also pour a couple beers into, some white vinegar, and stir in lots of old bay seasoning. Then as soon as they come out of the pot I cover the entire thing in more old bay. Wife likes to dip it in melted butter as well but I just prefer to taste all the old bay.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Co-worker brought me a gallon bag full of Crappie fillets yesterday. Looking forward to frying them up.

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
from feisty to tasty in 8 minutes! the stalks are lemongrass. planted some i got from the chinese store produce section a couple years back. brought a sprig here. now a big bush, like pampas grass! never tried it in crab boil, we'll see!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Two blue crab isn't gonna go very far. Not even snack status.

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
haven't made a crab storage cage yet! had them in cooler. caught 2 nice snapper this morning, had to ice them down so the crabs had to go for a hot bath. got almost 4 oz. of meat off of them, froze it. yeah, big crabs. 2 more and it's crab cakes!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Nice ones husker and jeide!

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
jeide said:
My grandson holding his 20lb Pike, 42" long from a pond in Longmont, Colorado
Nice one. :tu:

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Madhusker said:
A keeper.
Who dat? LOL Sucks when the kids catch the only target species. Nothing wrong with a shark bite though. :rockoncool:

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
600 acre lake near my house for 3 hours of Bass fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Stockton lake Walleyes....... yum. Also some other fun fish.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 222 Posts