The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
caught a snook this morning! it's catch and release on them, but got a pic. similar to catching bass, they run several times, fight good. and tasty, I hear. slot limit, 28-33 in. but red tide concern closed snook and drum.
IMG_20200402_084855.jpg

caught a cooler full of catfish, though. going to fillet, brine, smoke and make fish dip out of most. either fish and chips or suburban social club style for dinner tonight! the saltwater cats are good. taste like silver cats; look kind of like them, too. for years heard they inedible. turns out they are just catfish. but don't tell the locals! :lol:
IMG_20200402_085538.jpg

Jack same way. clean them right, blacken in a little butter/oil, and you can't tell it's not mahi.
20200211_185754.jpg

snapper like crappie; i'd like to try my coconut crusted snapper recipe on crappie, bet it's just as good. gonna go to istokpoga one of these days and catch some specks (crappie). they got slabs in that lake!

Attachments

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3DHUSKER said:
Where are your parents little guy?
pike? muskie? where's the walleye? :lol: I don't know much about northern fish, except the in laws live on gull lake in minnesota and always rib me about walleye!

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice slab! makes me want to go back to lake istokpoga this winter! https://www.sharetheoutdoors.com/2020/0 ... ophy-bass/ speck and bass fishing doesn't get better than there.

I grew up around the corner from this place. https://trailsendfishingresort.com/ who else wants to rent the cabins there this winter and have a fish bro? excellent flying field about 8 miles from there, by the way. sebring r/c club. would be a hoot to rent all the cabins out for a week and party! hell, you wouldn't need a local guide! me and thom both know that lake. he grew up at mossy cove fish camp. http://www.mossycove.com/

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3DHUSKER said:
Fake bigmouth carp.. :lol:
awesome! caught a lot of largemouth on rough river lake, but they were a joke compared to going out on my dock on istokpoga after a rain. under 3 lb., throw it back. blue or purple worm, plug, spoon with rind. didn't matter, hit the edge of the weeds with it, bang! :lol:

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
couple pics of istokpoga bass. shallow ass lake. lot of cover. lunkers. and really, the shellcrackers- redear sunfish- are about the best tasting fish out there. size of crappie, taste of bluegill.

yeah, next jan-feb we need to rent a cabin or 2, maybe get that n.f.f. ad3d to come over. and burn the specs up! :lol: where's thom?

who's in? week of fishing and warmer weather, flying field within 8 miles, and the place has history- same cabins as when I was a kid. lot of mana there, happy people for years. good vibe.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3DHUSKER said:
Catfish anyone
mmm! smoked some salt water cats yesterday. makes the best fish dip!

i use this recipe to smoke. https://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked-catfish.html

and this dip recipe

2 8-ounce package light cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated onion 1/4 cup onion, diced small
1 cup multicolored Florida bell peppers, diced small (i prefer anaheim or poblano. jalapeno good if you like hot- the cream cheese mellows the heat.)
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste
3 cups smoked mullet meat, flakes off the bone
3 tablespoons chopped parsley Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

I usually half both recipes. is awesome. mullet isn't much different than catfish, they both work well. try it, you'll love it! have plenty ritz or saltines handy!

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
my next door neighbor's is... and the one across the street- they are rebuilding it now! and I got a dock.

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
the mangrove snapper were running in the canal today! 3 hours, caught a shitload on chunks of pork.

reminds me of when the crappie run. and as you can see- they look like crappie... with teeth! one of the s.o.b.'s bit my thumb when removing the hook, drew blood. he's gonna be extra tasty! i'm gonna seviche these i think. seviche fish tacos ae awesome!

i use this recipe, avocado optional. https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table ... che-recipe

Attachments

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
not bad! but 3 hours in the backyard and some pork chunks hard to beat for an evening!

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
3DHUSKER said:
That looks good... I need to try it.
it was delicious! :lol: made the ceviche instead of salsa... about same recipe, really. left avocado out, prefer it like salsa recipe with 6 limes and added some fresh pineapple- they were on sale at savealot for 1.99, and I want to plant a richard "wrongway" bahman memorial pineapple patch in the backyard so need the tops... anyway, the acid and sweetness of it added a lot to the salsa, we ate it all before dinner! and the top is planted.

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
looks like krabby patties tonight! wohoo! blue crab is awesome. bitch to pick, but makes krab cakes that are delicious. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/82347 ... trending_b

I like salmon patties with mac and cheese and peas. but these beat the hell outa those!

by the way, they are mean bastards! definately crabby. will pinch shit out of you if they have a chance!

Attachments

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
yeah, one was about 6, other slightly bigger. claws just the right size to grab a finger. and they can reach anywhere you grab them except for the back leg close to body. me, i use metal tongs. grab them and drop them in the pot for an 8 minute boil, and start picking! lot of garlic in water, and melted butter for dipping suits me. lot of seasonings work. haven't caught any stone crab here, but little seafood place around corner sells live blues, stone crab claw,smoked mullet, and nice size frozen shrimp. they got stack of pots, catch about everything but the shrimp; they big white shrimp, probably mayport.

didn't have enough for pattiers, settled for crab dip! https://www.food.com/recipe/blue-crab-d ... &scaleto=2 is delicious.

bought one of these online, super cheap. like 4 bucks. tie a filleted fish carcass in it, and toss in. check whenever. recycling at it's best!

get a lot of crown conch and whelks in it too, edible and saw a ceviche (conch salad) recipe for them, but haven't tried. small and sandy, would have to put in a bag or something and hang several days in clear water to clean them out, i think. have tried bashing them and using for sheepshead bait- there are several that cruise the seawall and taunt me, haven't caught one yet! if I had fiddler crabs probably could. they say scrape oysters off dock pilings with a shovel and use those or shrimp, but as long as mangrove biting, why bother? hear they tasty, though.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
from feisty to tasty in 8 minutes! the stalks are lemongrass. planted some i got from the chinese store produce section a couple years back. brought a sprig here. now a big bush, like pampas grass! never tried it in crab boil, we'll see!

Attachments

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
haven't made a crab storage cage yet! had them in cooler. caught 2 nice snapper this morning, had to ice them down so the crabs had to go for a hot bath. got almost 4 oz. of meat off of them, froze it. yeah, big crabs. 2 more and it's crab cakes!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts