The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an easy finish to put on the floor in my workshop. The flooring is 5/8" plywood and has a light texture to it to prevent people from slipping.

The original idea was to maybe just put some peel and stick vinyl down but you need to do surface prep (minor) and then roll it. Not a big deal other than I have buy a roller for it and it just adds up.

So now the idea is some kind of floor paint. I know this stuff is for concrete but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the wood. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Seal-Krete...oxy-Actual-Net-Contents-1-0-Gallon/5001750859

Another option is just to do floor paint with anti-skid properties. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-HE...aint-Actual-Net-Contents-126-fl-oz/1000990840

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm looking for an easy finish to put on the floor in my workshop. The flooring is 5/8" plywood and has a light texture to it to prevent people from slipping.

The original idea was to maybe just put some peel and stick vinyl down but you need to do surface prep (minor) and then roll it. Not a big deal other than I have buy a roller for it and it just adds up.

So now the idea is some kind of floor paint. I know this stuff is for concrete but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the wood. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Seal-Krete...oxy-Actual-Net-Contents-1-0-Gallon/5001750859

Another option is just to do floor paint with anti-skid properties. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-HE...aint-Actual-Net-Contents-126-fl-oz/1000990840
Ben we just put Luxury Vinyl Planking throughout most of our house. Prices vary widely so you'll have to shop around. Ours was pretty much toward the upper range but it has since been discontinued at Lowes. We have a store here named Ollie's Discount and I saw our same flooring waaaayyyy cheaper. It's interlocking and easy to put down. also flexible enough to settle down on any imperfections in the floor. Oh and there's no glue. It's called a floating floor.. Hope this helps

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have seen some deck restore paint advertised on TV, and it is designed for wood. If it were me I would get some 2 foot carpet squares.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Why not just vinyl roll,easy to put down,easy to clean,cheap. No glue,tack the ends by wall. That is,if this is a work shop. If we see a 80in tv,frig and easy chair,well,could be a MAN CAVE.lol

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I've laid a lot of flooring.. of it were my shop, I'd go with the floating vinyl planks. Holds up great, no glue, goes down quick. Shops looking great!

Reactions: ben_beyer

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I had looked into that too and ran into the same problem as with putting down rubber mats. It's more money than I want to spend lol.

I think I'm just going to go with the floor it came with and put down an anti-fatigue mat at my work bench.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Yeah, I had looked into that too and ran into the same problem as with putting down rubber mats. It's more money than I want to spend lol.

I think I'm just going to go with the floor it came with and put down an anti-fatigue mat at my work bench.
That I can understand. Stuff can get pricey. Those anti fatigue mats are great. Just don't do the peel and stick tiles, or any other peel and stick options. They just don't work.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The biggest thing, if it matters is bare wood stains when oils are spilled on them,like glow fuel. My shop is floor is ply,built many motors in it,still ok,other than stains. I to dont think paints will hold up,roll vinyl be next cheap upgrade,floating wood be nice,but i would just mess it up.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The concrete sealer might work, but if the plywood flexes at all the sealant will probably crack. I would go with your 2nd option and just paint it and add some sand or traction stuff so it's not slippery. I think it may have been in the stuff you linked, I just didn't look that close. I've got a large shop and a garage and I've been contemplating some kind of coated flooring. My shop is 40 x 80 and the garage is 30 x 30 and the garage definitely needs something on the floor!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts