The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I will also add that I'm not that good of a pilot so I'm not sure I would notice if one was not centering well. I certainly can notice how quick they are though. On all my other 3D planes I run zero expo on my rudder and all other surfaces are around 20-25%. On this thing I have had to add it to the rudder and all surfaces when in high rates are up to 50% expo. Overall the plane is great so far but I do need to find a different motor to get the power I would like to see.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
You fly quite well on your videos,and put in a lot of effort to be better. Biggest thing cheap servos do is poor center return,in the wind cant get the plane to go straight,to much or to little control with no middle to it. Only after changing servos on a poor flying plane did i understand how much difference it makes,and i be a poor pilot. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
The biggest problem caused by servos with poor centering is that the control surfaces never return to the same position when the sticks are centered, which makes it impossible to trim out the plane for hands off straight and level flight. No matter how often or how carefully the trims are adjusted, the plane will never fly straight on its own. Sometimes when the sticks are centered it will keep rolling to the left, then the next time it will keep rolling to the right. Or when the sticks are centered the plane will keep climbing one time, then keep diving the next time. The same thing happens in the yaw axis with the rudder, but it's harder to see. A 3D plane with large control surface throws and a neutral CG makes the problem even worse. The end result is that the pilot needs to make constant stick corrections just to keep the plane under control, and makes it very difficult to put the plane exactly where the pilot wants it to be.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You just described the experience i had with some corona brand servos

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Did they happen to be Corona-DS843MG by chance? I tried some of those and they had terrible centering problems, which makes the plane they are in fly like $#!+. 💩

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Not a fan of Hitec servos, so I'll defer to someone who has actually used them.

You won't strip a nylon gear servo in the air. But without metal gears, there's a really good chance of stripping the gears from ground contact or bumping the control surfaces into something.

That motor will fly it. But it will never fly a Revolto up to its potential.

I'm using a 3s 1000 mah Graphene with a Super Tigre .10. Flight times are around 4 to 5 minutes of fairly aggressive 3D. The 800 mah and that 400 motor should last even longer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not a fan of Hitec servos, so I'll defer to someone who has actually used them.

You won't strip a nylon gear servo in the air. But without metal gears, there's a really good chance of stripping the gears from ground contact or bumping the control surfaces into something.

That motor will fly it. But it will never fly a Revolto up to its potential.

I'm using a 3s 1000 mah Graphene with a Super Tigre .10. Flight times are around 4 to 5 minutes of fairly aggressive 3D. The 800 mah and that 400 motor should last even longer.
Thanks! Oh there will be contact with the ground ( and other hard surfaces) LOL
I'll order the MAX weight combo from TH. I was thinking keeping it light and floaty but,. Definitely want the power.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I first flew Bro c/f's Revolto at IowaBro about 2 or 3 yrs ago; it was basically the lightweight setup, but a little beefier. He had a drone motor of unknown kv, a Graupner ESC, and an 800mah 3S pack. Unknown servos. It flew great, but was a little too floaty for me, and they were only getting about 4min flights. I built my own, at the heavier end of the spectrum, but it still flies great. IMO, if I want super-floaty, I'll get a 32" Crak series plane; I prefer a little more weight for inertia and breezy conditions. McDDD was doing rolling harriers on the deck in about 5-8mph breezes this year at Iowa with his Revolto, and it looked floaty enough to me :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not to get too far off topic: years ago, I had a thick depron foamy that had cutouts in the control surfaces. Does anyone remember one like that? I cant remember the name or maker

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Dave let me fly his Revolto at Ottumwa and I could barely keep up with it! It's crazy!!

I'll have to set mine up tamer..

101 - 111 of 111 Posts