The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey bros
Just made a post on life batteries and where to get them thanks again for your help. Getting back into the hobby after about 5 years due to illness in the family. I have seven planes I'm putting new receiver batteries in they are the old NIMH,, and life batteries. Just wondering what all you other brothers are using for receiver batteries?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
LiFe all the way for me. Usually use a 2200mah from Value Hobby. I fly mainly gas and use a single battery for receiver and ignition. Never had an issue with noise and it saves weight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought an A123 pack from this company.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Only life batteries for me on all of my glow powered planes. Sport type non-3D usually get a 700 life. 40-60 3D profiles get an 1100 life. The size is determined by flying three full flights, then checking how many milliamps were used by seeing how many milliamps it took to recharge. Then double this milliamp amount, and choose the smallest life battery that can handle this amount.

Example 1: My Tower Kaos 40 ARF uses about 80 milliamps per flight, or 240 milliamps for three flights. Doubling 240 results in 480, so a 700 life battery can easily handle six flights, even though I always recharge after no more than three flights.

Example 2: My Primo 60 uses about 150 milliamps per flight, or 450 milliamps for three flights. Doubling 450 results in 900, so a 700 life battery can't complete six flights, but an 1100 life can. Again even though it can theoretically handle six flights, I always recharge after no more than three flights.

Reactions: Montana3D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys looks like LiFe is the way to go. .Dave Thanks for your post I remember you taught me that a few years back kind of coming back to me now..Do they make little life batteries for little fommies to?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I've never seen a glow powered little foamie. They have all been electric powered, so the receiver power comes from the lipo and the BEC inside the ESC. No need for a separate life battery to run the radio.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've never seen a glow powered little foamie. They have all been electric powered, so the receiver power comes from the lipo and the BEC inside the ESC. No need for a separate life battery to run the radio.
Here's one from the Crak Yak designer himself--Norvel .09, I think...
:)

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks for posting that!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Interesting. I've never seen nitro on a foamie like that. Would like to see a photo of his setup, tank placement, etc...

Funny thing. Ive got a crack yak. I've flown it a lot. It's OK. But, honestly, some of the cheap blue fan-fold planes that i was building when foamies first came out flew just as well, maybe better. Bro's like Jeff Williams were posting fan-fold foamie plans on this site. I built a few of them. They flew fantastic and cost about $10 to make. Crack Yak is about $65 (?) and flies "OK" in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
look how good a 202 flies,how i dont know. Maybe we need to revisit then fanfolds. OR, doug just remembers the past as golden.lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Only life batteries for me on all of my glow powered planes. Sport type non-3D usually get a 700 life. 40-60 3D profiles get an 1100 life. The size is determined by flying three full flights, then checking how many milliamps were used by seeing how many milliamps it took to recharge. Then double this milliamp amount, and choose the smallest life battery that can handle this amount.

Example 1: My Tower Kaos 40 ARF uses about 80 milliamps per flight, or 240 milliamps for three flights. Doubling 240 results in 480, so a 700 life battery can easily handle six flights, even though I always recharge after no more than three flights.

Example 2: My Primo 60 uses about 150 milliamps per flight, or 450 milliamps for three flights. Doubling 450 results in 900, so a 700 life battery can't complete six flights, but an 1100 life can. Again even though it can theoretically handle six flights, I always recharge after no more than three flights.
Thanks for the info and example of how you determined enough capacity.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I been converted to,the life are cheap,light and do the job. A good charger is needed,but for all our batts do for us,not so much to ask. McDDD was right again,life batts work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts