The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While flying today in calm air i noticed just how jerky i be on mojo 25. I use 30 percent expo but noticed i only use the middle of the stick range on radio. Moving sticks to end points only for fast rolls and such. So my question,do you use most of the travel. Should i add expo,or reduce the overall travel. I know this is a personal thing,and each plane is to its own. The DR,says no expo i think,so to smooth it out reducing travel is only way i see to smooth out them servos. Just hoping to hear your thoughts on setup.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
30% expo is fine. I have been removing expo in all of my planes but its a personal preference. Any Glider I own has 0 expo in. my handful of sport planes have 10% in them and my 3D stuff has between 15-20%.

You shouldn't need to reduce control throw. Sounds like either you are being to jerky with stick movements or your mechanical setup is off.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you BalsaDust,just looking for a bit of insight,the cg is way back,but even if i try to be smooth at mid speed the al is touche. Plane flys great but i only move sticks 1/4 in or so,unless say i want a fast spin. So just asking if the guys use more travel on sticks,or stay near center.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thank you BalsaDust,just looking for a bit of insight,the cg is way back,but even if i try to be smooth at mid speed the al is touche. Plane flys great but i only move sticks 1/4 in or so,unless say i want a fast spin. So just asking if the guys use more travel on sticks,or stay near center.
Do be sure that your expo is in the proper direction. I've made this mistake when going between radio brands. On some smoother in the middle is + and on others it's -. Be sure that the graph that shows expo on your radio is flatter in the middle. I generally land at between 30 and 40% just depending on the airframe. It's simply personal preference, you can't be right or wrong, it's what works for you.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Spark ,most of my flying is done with less than an eight of an inch stick travel or banged hard over, so very small movements interrupted by full stick bang
Disclaimer, I don't fly on wing much, so this setup works for me. Others are different, please use what works for you.

My personal profile setup for off the wing flying, hover ,harriers, rollers ect
For a profile initial setup
CG at the rear range.
25% expo on rudder, at least45* throw
25% expo on elevator, at least 45* throw
25% expo on ailerons, with just enough throw to control a rolling harrier with the stick banged full over, usually less than 40*
Trim out the plane to hover, what?

This will allow it to hover and upright harrier almost hands off, but at a price. Inverter harrier will require opposite rudder and the plan will not fly straight on wing.
After a flight or 5 adjust throws and expo to get a balanced feel, what ever that means.

Video evidence of this setup

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats some nice flying and a great site to fly at. My setup is close to yours,and i think you exposed the problem,i be flying on the wing,nowhere near the 3d you are,i just ant that good. So i got a hot rod plane and slow reflexes. Thank you for imput,that was what i was looking for. When flying alone the learning curve is slow,great to watch you guys and get different opinions.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
If you are trying to fly that Mojo like a "normal" non-3D plane, then the stick movements needed will be very small......probably less than 1/4" of movement at the stick tips. But once you start learning to truly fly that Mojo in 3D flight, then you'll find out what all of that extra control throw is needed for.

My first 3D planes had 80% expo, simply because I didn't know any better. Later on I figured out that 80% expo was actually making the plane harder to fly, not easier. So the expo got reduced more and more as my 3D flying skills improved. Eventually I settled on 20% expo for all my 3D planes......plus 20% for all of my non-3D planes.......so every plane I now own has 20% expo.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Some old stuff from Chinn
learningto3dand3dwell-part1-5.pdf

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Didn't realize you where actually flying the plane not doing 3D. If that's the case then yeah it probably will feel jerky. Best advice I can give it stop flying it like a CG plane. You won't learn 3D if you don't try. I also advise doing it down low and close. Yes if you screw up you might smack the ground but at that point the plane isn't going to have a bunch of momentum when it hits. I found low and close you fly the plane more than reacting to the plane.

Reactions: jibracer13

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Good advice above--McDDD hit the nail on the head. Too much expo is as bad or worse than none--you're always playing catchup to the plane with your inputs. I personally have settled on around 40-45% expo on most of my planes, but it is definitely a personal preference on feel. Slower-reacting planes don't need as much expo as a loose, quick plane, i.e. the difference between a Mojo and a RadYak. You likely wouldn't like as much expo on a Mojo as on a loose plane like a RadYak or the foam Revolto. That little bugger has 50% expo for these old, slow thumbs, lol It's VERY quick on the sticks, especially on the tail. JohnNashville also noted a little less travel on ailerons; I've found the same: too quick a roll rate and I can't keep up on rolling circles, harriers, etc.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The read on Chinn was very good. Well getting the cj out of me is hard,old dog slow to learn. I was told while back to get a simulator,should have listened. So i ask,witch one do you guys prefer and do you still use . Tis a long road ahead i see,i do hope that other new guys lurking in the back ground will gain by my questions. My take on life,ask ten smarter men than yourself about anything,you gain so much,for so little. Top notch answers guys.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Things you will learn from flying your PBF:

How to get used to flying with large control throws.

How to coordinate the throttle and elevator controls to maintain a constant altitude.

How to coordinate the throttle and elevator controls to maintain a constant speed.

How to steer with the rudder during harrier flight.

How to reduce your fear of flying close to yourself.

How to reduce your fear of flying low to the ground.

How to reduce your fear of crashing.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No doubt the pbf will teach me much,at a low cost,mostly props. lol And best of all,not breaking wood doing it. BUT,dont know how much plug will get off couch so i be thinking a flight simulator for under the tree be neat. Thats why i asked witch one and if you guys still used yours,or got bored and let it sit. , Real flying cant be beat,if one will do it. I will say,i have got better,seldom do i break a prop now,and the planes last a lot longer. Like 2.4 overall,life packs doing great,shucks,now only 10 years behind. LOL Open t,nope not even ready for that. Hope i made you smile.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
My first sim was a Dave Brown RC Simulator running on a Commodore 64. By today's standards it was extremely crude and more of a novelty than a learning tool. The RealFlight 7.5 sim that I have now is actually pretty good at duplicating how an RC plane feels in normal flight. The 3D flight simulation is still good enough to learn some of the basics.

A modern sim such a RealFlight can be good learning tool, or a toy, depending on how you use it. The sim will definitely sharpen your flying skills if you spend some hours practicing. If the skills you gain from the sim save you even one crashed airplane, then it paid for itself right there.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought that would have the guys stirred up as to which one to get. got to help on cold windy days. I shall do some looking. How bout it guys,any building going on. And what of Dougs slick build.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Doug's Slick is an amazing 3D plane and would be a good beginner 3D plane as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts