·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Bummer man, well, on to the next one!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Anyone have long term experience with LiFe Batteries? I'm beginning to believe my failure with this airframe came from a battery failure. I'm totally aware of charging methods and tracking mAh. The battery is a LiFe 2S 1100ma and at the most I never used more than 300ma between flights. I'm wondering though if too much of a strain on the pack could have caused an UnderVoltage situation. I remember when this airplane crashed I had nothing and thought it was a loss of elevator effectiveness due to the swept wing but I remember having nothing, including no throttle as well.

I've been using a Life Pack in another airplane (Lanier Pro Cub) and have numerous flights with no problems. But I have standard servo's and very small tail surfaces compared to the swept wing airplane.

Thoughts.....

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Only LiFe pack I have had fail on me was due to me forgetting to turn my transmitter off one night. I got it to come back but it puffed real bad so I just don't trust it for anything other than testing purposes on the bench.

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
Never had an issue with LiFe or A123 Batts.

The A123 in my original EE60 is 4 years old and has hundreds of flights....

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Been using LiFe's for years, No problems at all, even a few I have left on in airplanes for a week just were dead and I just replaced them

·
Registered
19,916 Posts
I'm using a 1100mah life in all my gas and nitro planes with high torque servos. I fly them hard, no problems. But that's not to say you could have got a dud and it finally failed.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
...more info and did some testing..

I was using Turnigy 10C 2S 1100mAh packs

Last night I charged 3 packs
Tested one at a time in a standard profile running 5 STD analog servo's while hooked up to a meter.
Results for each pack were almost the same.
Static no load were around 6.67v
While jockeying all the servo's around like the little kid the voltage dropped to 6.4v instantly. While you might not think this is much after flying a profile wildly would put even more of a load on the battery.

This was the same result with all the batteries.

When I went to put the batteries away I put them in storage mode....the charger ended after 78 mAh.
Hmmmm. So I put a quick charge on them and they ended with a full charge after 45 mAh (roughly)

I'm going back to Nimhs for now.....lol

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
wagas said:
Ouch....Turfed it!
Flight report: I completely lost it. I had no control on the down line. No response from the elevator at all.

It maintained about a 35 degree angle all the way down from about 70 feet. It hit on the chin and gear. It hit so hard that it forced the switch to the off position (forward) and slammed the LiFe battery thru the bottom of the wing.
wagas said:
...more info and did some testing..

I was using Turnigy 10C 2S 1100mAh packs

Last night I charged 3 packs
Tested one at a time in a standard profile running 5 STD analog servo's while hooked up to a meter.
Results for each pack were almost the same.
Static no load were around 6.67v
While jockeying all the servo's around like the little kid the voltage dropped to 6.4v instantly. While you might not think this is much after flying a profile wildly would put even more of a load on the battery.

This was the same result with all the batteries.

When I went to put the batteries away I put them in storage mode....the charger ended after 78 mAh.
Hmmmm. So I put a quick charge on them and they ended with a full charge after 45 mAh (roughly)

I'm going back to Nimhs for now.....lol
Me thinks if you had nothing your switch may not have been full on to begin with and vibrated back closed? it doesn't take much of anything sometimes to get into switches and they don't work quite right? Or could the battery or switch just of come unplugged?

I highly doubt Life batts had anything to do with your crash. Go back to NiMh batts if you want. Might as well get a stripper pole antenna on AM Band while your at it. Also no need for a muffler. One of the flappers things over the exhaust port is where it's at when going retro! :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
capthis said:
wagas said:
Ouch....Turfed it!
Flight report: I completely lost it. I had no control on the down line. No response from the elevator at all.

Me thinks if you had nothing your switch may not have been full on to begin with and vibrated back closed? it doesn't take much of anything sometimes to get into switches and they don't work quite right? Or could the battery or switch just of come unplugged?

I highly doubt Life batts had anything to do with your crash. Go back to NiMh batts if you want. Might as well get a stripper pole antenna on AM Band while your at it. Also no need for a muffler. One of the flappers things over the exhaust port is where it's at when going retro! :)
LOL :drink:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Had to have been something power related. What that was is something you'll have to figure out. But that amount of sweep is not going to do anything that drastic to the elevator. Drop a wing yes. But with 3D throws if you were to just bury the stick full up it would just harrier and it would actually harrier quite cleanly similar to and edge.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Speaking of outdated things, capthis, thats a great idea .....and I'll even build a "Hots" to match it with. That will really round it out for going retro.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Tarzan said:
Had to have been something power related. What that was is something you'll have to figure out. But that amount of sweep is not going to do anything that drastic to the elevator. Drop a wing yes. But with 3D throws if you were to just bury the stick full up it would just harrier and it would actually harrier quite cleanly similar to and edge.
I agree on the possibility of it being power related. Just until I'm sure of what it is I'll use something other than the original switch and battery.

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
wagas said:
Speaking of outdated things, capthis, thats a great idea .....and I'll even build a "Hots" to match it with. That will really round it out for going retro.
You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't! :)

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
I think that needs to be your new avatar pic lol

·
Registered
16,994 Posts
TOAD0077 said:
capthis said:
wagas said:
Ouch....Turfed it!

LOL :drink:
and may as well fly jr so your radio can brown out when it gets more that 2 servo inputs at once on your brandy new L-4... :p

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, if you don't succeed try try again... Got it back together and since it needs a crap ton of nose weight I went E with a giant motor and battery pack! I need stronger gear for sure but other wise this is a pussy cat to fly. Moved the CG forward, plane is pretty fun to fly. Very stable and tracks nice! Will put it through it's paces, need to get the right prop on it.
Vehicle Aircraft Monoplane Airplane Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Hell yeah, lol, talk about a work in progress! Need to see some video! Nice build!! 👏

41 - 59 of 59 Posts