The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
17,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, I've had this motor for a couple years, had it in a ripmax zephyr that would hang on the prop with a 9-6e and a 3000 6 cell nimh.

what is a good setup for this in a 3d; prop size, do i need gearbox, battery setup, plane setup (e-taco, hopefully?)

I am fairly ignorant with electric setup, mostly fly glow; HOWEVER... I know enough about electric to ask the guys doing it how they do it- and listen to 'em! :D

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have never used this motor, however if you put a gearbox on it the prop dia. will increase and pitch should decrease, that will help on the 3d stuff.
If possible go to lipos that will help the most

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Ron, I'll be happy to point you to Motocalc or another power prediction software. motocalc's free for 30 days.

First though, we'll need some more info:

a) do you have any other requirements (other than this motor, and 3D, for example, do you have a battery pack you also want to use, etc.)

b) whats your cost limit here?

c) do you have the equipment/patience for LiPo's already, or do you need to get it? remember this for the cost issue.

d) how long do you want to fly on a pack?

------

besides all that, max spec RPM is 20k, which is miraculously the same as 11.1V -> 3s lipo. you'll want it geared down around, say, 7500 rpm, which would be like 2.66:1 gearing, but lets dig that back to 2:1 to account for voltage sagging.

so motocalc is showing me that an APC 12x6E will kick out about 48 oz thrust at 7500 rpm and 29 amps

a 12x4 (graupner, but i used the same prop constant) would be at 45oz thrust and 24 amps

both of these are going to need a lipo pack that can kick out 30+ amps, something like a TP2100 10C 3s2p or a tanic 3s2p 2500. both'll run around 9 ounces and $160 or so.

on the other hand, 3s voltage or even 300W in *could* be pushing the limits of this motor, i cant tell.

how much does a taco weigh, empty? it'd be nice to know how much room is left for power gear.

-barrett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts