The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm recovering my old TopCap and had some oil soak on the patched(I said it was old!) sides and tail. I recall something about spot remover to get it out? or some concotion of cornstartch? Any help MUCH appreciated.....maybe she'll be ready for Cookville :p Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The homemande method is to make a thick slurry of conrstarch and alcohol and apply this 'pudding' to the affected wood. As the alcohol evaporates (rapidly) the corstarch will begien to draw the oil from the wood. Works fair and will get the worst of the oil out. But you must use pure isopropyl alky, not rubbing alcohol as it is only 70% alky with other stuff in it.

K2R dry cleaning soultion is supposed to be the best oil remover and one of our club members I believe said Ace hardware is now the distributor for K2R.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
There is one other method I have heard of but have not yet tried. Wet a paper towel lay it on the wood and press an iron over the paper towel. It should steam up and force the oil out.

Like I said I have not tried this but I hear it works.

K2R Spot remover works but it can be messy. It dries into a fine powder so after you get it all out go over the area with a tack rag, or even better brush on some balsarite.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use a heat gun first. Heat up the area and when the oil boils out to the surface, wipe with a clean paper towel. Keep doing this until no oil comes to the surface. Then start using the K2R. I've fixed maybe 4 planes using this and the heat is the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts