The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been flying a goldberg extreme for about a month now and I have learned a lot. I can hover and do high alpha rolls and a few other basic maneuvers. I've been looking at some of the kits such as the burrito and sledge. Are these planes going to be signicantly better than the goldberg?I can't find any real specifics as to what these planes excel at over the other. I've read that the burrito is ideal for beginners. Does that mean that is limited in what it can do when compared to the sledge? I've read alot of the "what's the best profile threads" on rcu and they all seem to be the same. People say what they have is the best. I would like to hear from people that have flown several of these planes and what they have to say. I flt at the Cobb County Radio Club in Kennesaw Ga. There is one other guy that flys an extreme flight edge and that's about it for profile flyers that come out regularly.
I am pretty serious about the hobby. I fly on average 20 flights per week. I can see myself getting better and hope to learn all I can.

Jim

·
Registered
15,367 Posts
Welcome to da hood!

I wish I could help with your question. It seems to boil down to what each person likes in a plane. Some guys love the OMP FF540P, I have one and it's not my favorite. I like the Sledge, but one of the best 3D guys I know told me he doesn't care for the Sledge..he likes the OMP FF540P better. Some guys that have flown them all like the EF 540, some guys like the Burrito. I will say I know a lot of guys and the EX330 isn't on the top of many lists, but Matlok dug one out of the trashcan, re-built and re-covered it and flew the snot out of it.

Best advice I can give is try to get some stick time on some other planes and see which one suits you best. Come to Nashville in Sept. if you can, there will be a little bit of everything there and guys will give you the sticks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck that's what I was hoping to hear about the goldberg. I knew there had to be better and lighter planes out there. I think the sledge is the best looking profile I've seen and not just for a profile but good period.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yes, come to Nashville and get the straight stuff from the Bro's. I agree with Auger (can't believe i said that :shock: ) on there really isn't a 'best one size fits all' answer. I have an OMP Edge 540FF which I love. It taught me hovering, harriers, waterfalls, high alpha knife and more. Auger is probably talking about Jess R above. He makes the OMP Edge do anything in the book. BUT, it is not as nimble as some of the other birds out there. I got to fly Gator's EF Edge in Cookeville and it seems more nimble and less forgiving. I also have the OMP KatanaP kit (not ARF) and after many flights I can say the same of it. Very nimble and capable, but not nearly as stable and forgiving as the OMP Edge. I've saved some blunders with the Edge that the Katana would have busted my balls on.

I've flown the Goldberg Extreme and generally it's not in the same league as the OMP Edge or similar (I think because most of them weigh over 5 lbs). Not a bad plane, just behind the curve. Both my OMP's are under 4.5 lbs and there are some people with sub 4lb sledges around.

So pick your poison, there is no best answer. I'll always favor the OMP Edge as a great 'learn 3D' plane, but it suits me. Others will say the same of the Burrito. And the Burrito is a tough SOB, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Saw that numerous times in Cookeville :wink:

Just watch out for the guy trying to tell you the H9 Twist is the shiznit, he's the one that probably can't do an ounce of 3D :D .

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Sorry to say, that you are just going to have to fly a few planes this year. A Pro Bro fly in is the way to go. I've been a Bro since the early days, (I'm #43), but couldn't travel to a fly in until this year. I learned more about 3D in 2 1/2 days than I learned in the full year prior. Not only did I fly a few other planes, but had some "Pros" fly mine. You won't regret the money spent to get to a fly in.

As for the plane of choice... Damn, that's tough. I liked my EF Edge, except I couldn't harrier it worth a crap. Others could, but my fingers couldn't pull it off. I like the Katana ARF better, as I get a better harrier from it. It lacks the cool looks of the EF, and has cheaper covering (the next batch will be better), but it flies good. The best 3D plane I've ever flown is still the Mini 3D from Extreme Flight. It is the most forgiving plane in any attitude. Ten feet off the deck is still two mistakes high with the Mini. In the 40 size profiles, I love the Sledge, and I'm now building my second one. I'm kit bashing a bit, but I hope I don't blow it's good traits in the process. I'm getting to the Burrito this season if it kills me, and empties the bank account.

When you make it to a Bro fly in, just walk up to the flight line, and stand next to someone flying with a big freakin' grin on your face. Then hold out your hands for the box. Let me know how that works out for you... :lol:

On second thought, you might want to introduce yourself first. Then go with the guys to the bar. When Bros get shit faced, thet give up their best 3D secrets.

Good luck, and keep flyin'

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
TailTwister said:
On second thought, you might want to introduce yourself first. Then go with the guys to the bar. When Bros get shit faced, thet give up their best 3D secrets.

Hold on, Swany just pukes in that state :shock:

·
Registered
15,367 Posts
Jim D said:
TailTwister said:

Hold on, Swany just pukes in that state :shock:
Nah, you have to see him pour a pitcher of beer on his nuts first! :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds good. I hope to go to the Nashville fly in. Maybe as this profile flying grows, so will the number of fly ins.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
or mine, got a 540, burrito, and a 540 burrito... and a mini, edgeling, corsair, and who knows what the hell else by nashville? I'm getting the itch to do a custom with laminated fuse frames, going to go for 3.5 lbs....damn, I'm addicted!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts