The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to a NITRO NATION flyin in Georgia and along with Vinces nitro circus flying and this latest event I got to do a nitro setup and looking for setup thoughts.

I won this plane at their raffle and it came with a warning "DONT PHCKN MAKE THIS E_FAG" .. I'm thinking it will be a perfect platform, not Pro Bro but fun for sport and the grandkids who never flown nitro........ Although I did have two of them with me at this event and they asked why the engines always quit at landing :lol:

https://www.theworldmodels.com/store/?a ... il&id=3718

So Im leaning towards a 2 stroke on a beer can pipe, but I would not rule out the fun of a YS110 4C. I'm thinking of turning a 3 blade Graupner cause they sound awesome when spun up to limits.

So let me hear some thoughts on what direction would make this beast stand out in a NITRO NATION gaggle for 10 minutes.

81" wing
9lbs

YIKES

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
OS 120AX. Try the stock muffler first.
The BCP setup works great for 3D, but won't produce maximum HP since it's tuned for mid-range throttling. It would take some tinkering to get the BPC to get a max power boost.

The 120AX isn't a screaming engine so don't expect it to turn a 3 blade prop to it's limits.

The 120AX runs super smooth and has a tick-over idle. No worries about looking like an E-plane with a dead stopped prop on landing. :tu:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The BCP setup is gonna be hard to do if you don't already have a header--with the passing of Mac's, they're basically unobtanium. In that case, I think you're on the right track with the YS110/115. Run it on 30% and haul ass, and sound good too! :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Here's a video of the YS115 on 30% nitro, spinning a 14x12 APC 9900. The Gold class warbird guys run these on 50-60% nitro, 14x14 at 10k+ and 180mph, I believe. Other tidbits I've gleaned are that the same 115 will spin a Xoar 17x6 at 10k. My BCP'ed DLE20 turns that prop at 85-8600. The YS engines are hell-for-stout, if you are willing to pay to play--fuel, maintenance, and tuning :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well that be good but,not awesome,but i never had a big 2st,120 up. A 90tiger on pipe near 15,000rpm i have seen. Any big 2st that will turn up on a pipe out there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had YS 91 and YS 110 in a Raven, I know they had the same case mounting pattern, is the 115 in the same case mounting pattern or larger??? Those big OS 2c is interesting thought as well. Will check into some weight figures.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
YS Mike, YS…

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have an os120ax in a 9 lb pattern plane.header and tuned pipe.unlimited verticle on a 16x8 runs perfect.always taxi back towards the pits.c.j's hate me :D
I have a sick, low time ys 140 i will gift you........
You have to come and get it though.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
c/f said:
I'm thinking of turning a 3 blade Graupner cause they sound awesome when spun up to limits.

81" wing
9lbs

YIKES
Keep in mind 3 bladed prop will put too much load on engine so it won't develop peak power/trust especially on 2 strokes, which is ok for scale flying, but not for 3D if you looking for more power.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
BlockBuster said:
c/f said:
Keep in mind 3 bladed prop will put too much load on engine so it won't develop peak power/trust especially on 2 strokes, which is ok for scale flying, but not for 3D if you looking for more power.
That is the same for full scale. We rode in a 1948 Norseman for years in Canada fishing. The pilot / owner changed from 3 blade to 2 and he was amazed at the performance gain!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
YS POWER

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
YS115 is killer. It has just a simple needle LS/HS, easy to tune, like a two stroke now, but with torque.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
sparkplug said:
120ax with pipe,the sound make them back up and look.
You're not listening "The BCP setup is gonna be hard to do if you don't already have a header--with the passing of Mac's, they're basically unobtanium". If you know of a source for headers, sound off. The Lift had some 55AX headers made (I bought one), but never got to 120AX headers. Toad was gonna make headers, and I was lucky enough to get a prototype DLE20 header from him before he got run off/got butt hurt/depends on who you ask lol, but he's gone too

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
From what i saw,CF,not a man held back by little troubles,bet he can find,build a pipe and header. He did say awesome,so i take he will go the extra mile to get it. Lots of ways to go,thats why he ask us,yours is a good easy way to do lt,l do agree on that,and be fine. The rc cars use pipes,some of them may be reworked,see some on ebay for gas engines,and a header not that hard to make,i bought some prebent 1in tube bit back. Lot of trouble,but. :D :D

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
me being somewhat of an r.c. hoarder i may have an extra macs pipe for a 120 8)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
CF,what you got on your mind,i still think MCDDD was right,however you exhaust it. Lots of good thoughts about it here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts