The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
281 - 299 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Was a time here you would have had two pages of replies is short order. Alas now I have a job lol hahaha. Used to be a lot more interest and activity seems like. This FAA crap has kinda put a damper on things for me and I can only assume others feel similarly. Lots of things to wonder about and what will they come up with next to make it harder? And most importantly, FISHING. I got big back into fishing haha.

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
I’m building mine, finally. For future references I’ll post more wing and fuse pics as I get some done. I really don’t get much time anymore with the kids out of school more often than in and my work schedule.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If I had to do it again and you can manage hauling it around w/out the removable wing option, I'd build it with a fixed wing! I have had nothing but issues with those "Small" wing bolt tabs de-laminating or cracking away from the mating rib from vibes from the Saito 100. And, personally I built and flown a fixed the fixed wing version, I just thing it flys better . The MOASS flys the best... Knife Edge ALL Day long with NO coupling.

Lom Sky Plant Vertebrate Tree Shorts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Very cool Lom! My feelings on removable wings are the same as yours. All my RW wing planes are getting the wings glued on permanently.

Good to see Woodpilot posting (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
I’m limited for transportation so this has to be RW.
I could cut new root ribs with larger tabs from a little thicker wood or even laminate the back of these with CF.
more ignore the tabs altogether and run a bolt through the middle like the OMP’s did. I did it that way on a couple other slabs I made RW and didn’t have a problem. I’ll think about it as I lay it up. Not sure when I’ll get working on it. Been rebuilding my Jeep all week and I’m not finished yet with snow on the way so it comes first.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I still like the removable tail,glue wings on. As WF said,the wing joint is highly stressed. Now how be the best way i dont know,but i be hoping to see some thoughts on good ways to do it. Plus,its a easy place to fix if it breaks a few inches behind wing. And would make it easy to move when needed.

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
People have tried removable tails but no tube, no love. Cut a tube and it’ll always be weak there and your argument holds no water because the fuse is just as stressed as the wing root in the flying we do and the Dorks we have. It’ll break there all the time and always need repairs. The wing root doesn’t. Sometimes it can fatigue the fuse or root rib, those are way more easily remedied than the fuse.
We’ve been there, tried that and not revisited it because it isn’t a better solution.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Now i be new to 3d,but think the flight load would be much less on tail than wings,the landing load would be higher,unless you are smooth. The tube is a great thing,but when is it needed,did the planes of past break in half while flying. The tube is for dorks,and it works,one in the wing might help also,but one thing at a time. My point,a intended break point behind wing,to reduce damages during dork and to help in moving plane. Yes one part planes are lighter,stronger,easier to build,just better overall. But,for those who cant move a big one two parts it must be. So i ask,how best to try. A thought,how about some short guides,with strong magnets to hold together,it need to hold under air loads,hard landings not so much. Just think on it you smarter guys than plug,and any and all thoughts welcome. I mean,its cold out side,lets think on it,how else can we improve but by trying new things after a bit of thought. Just how high are the flying loads on the tail,in which direction.

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
Like I said, it’s been tried several ways before and it’s never really been feasible but I’m not going to argue with you if you actually think fuse loads aren’t a thing.
If it works for you that’s great. Build something up and give it a go.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Now i be new to 3d,but think the flight load would be much less on tail than wings,the landing load would be higher,unless you are smooth. The tube is a great thing,but when is it needed,did the planes of past break in half while flying. The tube is for dorks,and it works,one in the wing might help also,but one thing at a time. My point,a intended break point behind wing,to reduce damages during dork and to help in moving plane. Yes one part planes are lighter,stronger,easier to build,just better overall. But,for those who cant move a big one two parts it must be. So i ask,how best to try. A thought,how about some short guides,with strong magnets to hold together,it need to hold under air loads,hard landings not so much. Just think on it you smarter guys than plug,and any and all thoughts welcome. I mean,its cold out side,lets think on it,how else can we improve but by trying new things after a bit of thought. Just how high are the flying loads on the tail,in which direction.

Your overthinking it. Removable wing has always been and will remain the easiest and stronger way of doing things. the fuse of a slab is just that, a slab. A wing has much more thickness and bracing to make it rigid and strong. Fuse needs to remain one piece with a tube and will be easier to fix than if it was a removable tail. Standard mojo if you cartwheel it, then yes the fuse will flex. Generally though you can cut a little covering away, wick in some thin CA and packing tape the covering back in place.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
I’m limited for transportation so this has to be RW.
I could cut new root ribs with larger tabs from a little thicker wood or even laminate the back of these with CF.
more ignore the tabs altogether and run a bolt through the middle like the OMP’s did. I did it that way on a couple other slabs I made RW and didn’t have a problem. I’ll think about it as I lay it up. Not sure when I’ll get working on it. Been rebuilding my Jeep all week and I’m not finished yet with snow on the way so it comes first.
I would recommend instead of the method the mojo's used to be removable wings that you just do the standard wing tube with a through bolt going through each root rib.

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
That’s likely how I’ll do it. Have to see how much room I have to work with once the wing is built up. Still haven’t had time to lay it up yet.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I'm with Chris on this.........skip the tabs. Cut an extra hatch if you have to and bolt from the inside.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would recommend instead of the method the mojo's used to be removable wings that you just do the standard wing tube with a through bolt going through each root rib.
Exactly what I ended up doing with mine after several attempts of repairing those PITA tabs! but still prefer the fixed route..
Lom

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'd have to pull the plane from the ceiling and remove a hatch to check..been more than a day, can't remember shit anymore. I'm still using those useless tabs. I just added the internal one for belt n suspenders insurance. Maybe this weekend I can check.
Lom

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Jake....Maybe consider a cross bolt in front of the tube and a tab glued into the fuse and a couple small nylon bolts through the wing. Something like I did on my Whorehawk....
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Engineering
Wood Engineering Parallel Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Plank
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Flooring Wood stain

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have a tower uproar,it came with a metal tang with slots locked in fuz. Slide wings on,tighten captured allens bolts,it squeezes on metal tabs locked on wings,so tab on tab squeeze together. I bounced many times,never came off. Will take pic if it will help.

281 - 299 of 299 Posts