The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
Some love them some hate them. They only way to know is to try it out.
I like mine even though it was heavy. It flew clean and was a good windy day flier. I didn’t particularly choose it over any other slab any other time but a breezy day. That was probably because of mine being 5lbs or more.
There is no bro approved slab that sucks. Just some that have a niche with some bros.

Reactions: Hansen88

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I love mine. I am very fortunate that Brutus built mine from contest wood and it came out super light. He also covered it with a scheme I came up with.
I used a 4S 818 KV Motrolfly with 2 2S 2700's in series, and I also used 1 oz. Savox 1250 HV's all around. All those things paid off as my LY came out at 3 1/2 LB ready to fly.
McDDD, Cartman and a bunch of Bro's have all flown it and like it. It is one of my fav planes.
Toy Aircraft Airplane Toy airplane Plant

Reactions: Hansen88

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool,I think as soon as I can get my building area cleaned up I am gonna give it a try. I am gonna go nitro,I plan to use a Norvel 40 on it. What do you think of a 40 on it if it was built lite? I could also scale it down a tad maybe.

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
An Fp40 on a pipe with some micro servos covered in park lite covering might be doable.
but That said I had a sabre44 with a fp40 on a ccp and mini servos and it was marginal power at best.
id just stick With a 46-55 and it’ll be a rocket.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I wondered about that to but hope someone who knew more would say. If staying with the 40 would not a bit smaller plane be good. Do i remember a mojo 30,what other planes would a 40 do well on,no need to make success harder.

·
Registered
20,069 Posts
If you’re dead set on a 40, use the OS FP because it’s a bushing engine and much lighter. It’ll need a header and Coke can pipe (or butane can) which is hard to find sense Macs went bust.
wildfred had a lamsuk that is perfect for the 40fp. I don’t remember the wing span but it’s a little smaller than the regular lamyak. Do a search. If the admins haven’t deleted wildfred’s posts then his plans should be here.
If not then the plans can be scaled down to what ever its wing span was.
But a normal size lamyak and .46 even on a stock muffler will be great. I’ve become partial to the thunder tiger .46’s over OS’s FX and AX. They’re screamers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to give this Lamyak a try. Out of engines I have that are not on anything,I dont have any 45s but I have some 40s I want to use. I am going to scale this one down to around 40-42 inch span. I am sure it will be fine for me.My skills dont push a plane to its limits anyway. I say I am flying 3d but I too am mainly a stick banger. Also have fun with gliders,trainers,I like 1/2A anything. Grew up on 1/2A and still love those little engines. In my early 50s though I dont seem to be able to fly control line anymore without getting dizzy. I want to use the norvel 40 but I do have a fp40 not on anything either. I will see how the weight and balance works out and see which engine to use.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I believe scaling the prints down to 70% size is the right fit for a 40 nitro

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you can't build light it's likely you will be disappointed in the lamys. I've had a couple and decided that they aren't my style although I will admit that mine weren't light weights. When they get a little porky they tend to do things unexpectedly. Sold my last one to Island Runner, he had the same feelings. It was a lot more fun to watch him fly it than it was to fly it myself though!!

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
If you can't build light it's likely you will be disappointed in the lamys. I've had a couple and decided that they aren't my style although I will admit that mine weren't light weights. When they get a little porky they tend to do things unexpectedly. Sold my last one to Island Runner, he had the same feelings. It was a lot more fun to watch him fly it than it was to fly it myself though!!

I agree with Vince. I have had two. Lamyak 40 I thought I liked until I flew something else and I just realized the way the wing stalls on a lam wing is not for me. Second is on my chubcub and I do love the plane but it is quirky (but it is a high wing). I have a V2 short kit of the chubcub using an airfoil I know I like that will get built once I have a shop to work in again.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Trust in what these guys say,they never told me wrong and are here to help. Just my thoughts,the plans for a mojo 40 are here,scale it down a bit and have a winner. I have a mojo25,it flies very good,is el powerd,i bet the 40 scaled back a blt will to. Myself,i like a thick wing,it slows down things,the plane you speak of has a thin wing i think,but not sure of this,they are better in the wind. Norvel made 1/2a fun,do love a .074. Guess were trying to say,pick the best plane,takes the same money and time to build but some got more forgiveness than others. Thats why i like mojos,they got so much forgiveness for my ut ooos.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
LAM wings are not my thing either. They come out of hard maneuvers slow and take a lot more time to get back 'on the wing' flying coming out of waterfalls and harrier. They harrier great, and when 'on the wing' they are fine. It's that transition that I don't like. I had one at 5.25lbs and one at 4.25 lbs. The lighter one was certainly better, but still had that getting out of stall problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trust in what these guys say,they never told me wrong and are here to help. Just my thoughts,the plans for a mojo 40 are here,scale it down a bit and have a winner. I have a mojo25,it flies very good,is el powerd,i bet the 40 scaled back a blt will to. Myself,i like a thick wing,it slows down things,the plane you speak of has a thin wing i think,but not sure of this,they are better in the wind. Norvel made 1/2a fun,do love a .074. Guess were trying to say,pick the best plane,takes the same money and time to build but some got more forgiveness than others. Thats why i like mojos,they got so much forgiveness for my ut ooos.
Yes you are correct with all you say.I also like a fat wing and a floater. I know this plane is none of that but still I am going to give it a shot. Expand my horizons. I have built from scratch and in general dont need a build manual,but I found the manual for this one and it is pretty professional looking. I am going to scale it down and build it as light as possible. Maybe it will float my boat. A mojo will be in my future eventually. I am interested in the Burrito also. It is like a updated Morris the Knife. That plane was one of my favorites,but back then I didnt know nothing but loops and rolls so I never really ever gave it a workout.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Scaling to 41" is a good idea for a .40 glow motor. The absolute best plane in this class in my opinion is TriFlyer3D's Stix 41. Ask Heinz 57 - he built one on my recommendation and loves it. Cartman loves them too and has built several. Most of the reason that plane is so amazing is that it can come in at 2 1/2 pounds if kept light, and use TriFlyer's recommended E power system.
I am not familiar with the Norvel, but I am very familiar with the 40FP. I scaled a Chinn Yak to 41" and the percent for that plane was 87% of original.
Use a good 1 oz. servo to save weight. Mine came in at 2 3/4 lbs when it was done and it flew really good with the 40 FP. I had an unfortunate crash with it and also converted it to E power. After the repairs it came in at 3 lbs RTF. On this size bird you can REALLY feel the xtra weight and the plane doesn't fly near as well as it did at 2 3/4 lbs.
I think you can get the LamYak scaled down and built to be under 3 lbs with a 40 FP. Like the others have said, use a Moussse, Coke, or dollar tree can for a power boost and you will have a very good flying plane if under 3 lbs RTF.
Here is a pic of my 87% 40FP Chakk when it was new.
Water Plant Sky Vehicle Aircraft

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scaling to 41" is a good idea for a .40 glow motor. The absolute best plane in this class in my opinion is TriFlyer3D's Stix 41. Ask Heinz 57 - he built one on my recommendation and loves it. Cartman loves them too and has built several. Most of the reason that plane is so amazing is that it can come in at 2 1/2 pounds if kept light, and use TriFlyer's recommended E power system.
I am not familiar with the Norvel, but I am very familiar with the 40FP. I scaled a Chinn Yak to 41" and the percent for that plane was 87% of original.
Use a good 1 oz. servo to save weight. Mine came in at 2 3/4 lbs when it was done and it flew really good with the 40 FP. I had an unfortunate crash with it and also converted it to E power. After the repairs it came in at 3 lbs RTF. On this size bird you can REALLY feel the xtra weight and the plane doesn't fly near as well as it did at 2 3/4 lbs.
I think you can get the LamYak scaled down and built to be under 3 lbs with a 40 FP. Like the others have said, use a Moussse, Coke, or dollar tree can for a power boost and you will have a very good flying plane if under 3 lbs RTF.
Here is a pic of my 87% 40FP Chakk when it was new. View attachment 145819
Thanks for the input. That plane looks sharp! I like the transparent blue with the white.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Thank you.

Thick, Lam, Thin.... The more I am at this, the less I care. Light weight and good setup is far more crucial in my opinion than wing type. I cut my teeth on the thick wing - Morris, Mojo Chakk, so I am used to the ballooning after hard maneuvers. Lam is just the opposite - after a hard maneuver there will be a slight dive, that can bite you if one is too low and not ready for it. Some people, like Cartman and me, really like the Lam planes, I feel like they groove well. Most of my planes are Lam and a few thick wing. Thin wing is my least favorite, but a light, well setup thin wing plane can be phenomenal. Like Prowlers Primo built by Jeide and set up by prowler - it's one of the nicest planes I've had the privilege of flying!

·
Registered
458 Posts
As straightup said absolutely love the Stix 41! It’s my favorite slab to date! Comes in at 2.5 lbs loaded. used the servos and power 10 potenza motor from a flex extra QQ and it rips up the sky on 2200 3s battery’s. Was thinking about trying the same combo on Dougs slick 46 if it can be kept around 2.5 lbs
Vehicle Aircraft Toy Monoplane Airplane

1 - 20 of 25 Posts