The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since there seems to be interest in continuing the OhiBro gathering, I'll officially announce the dates as Friday August 13th, Saturday August 14th, and Sunday August 15th. :rockon:

Same place, same style. Come Thursday afternoon if you want. Bring your own alcohol, ammo, and breakfast, I'll provide the supper time eats as usual. More than likely it will be pizzas on Friday eve and I'll probably do ribs and barbecue chickens for Saturday eve. We will plan on this rain or shine. If the flying field is under water, we can all camp and fly in my yard which sufficient for flying slabs and foamies and is less than a mile away at the end of the road. We can shoot at my brothers pistol range next door as well if needed. I also have a 100 yard range off my back deck. No more 1500 yard range off my back deck like my last house but I have a big pond so that kinda makes up for it! :|

Nearest address for those who have never attended is my house. 4931 Andrews Rd Rockford, OH 45882.

I will probably not get a porta toilet this year to save the $100 and just use my camper or you are more than welcome to run up to my house. Same goes for showers if you want one. Feel free to use my camper or run to my house. I will put as many steel plates as I can out on the Island and dam wall again and have some pistol targets and dueling tree set up again. Feel free to shoot what you want but I will will only have targets out to 200 yards +/-. We can put targets out on the 500 yard range if you want but the 1500+ yard range will be off limits for obvious safety reasons with so many people and kids and locals around.

Post up if you plan to attend so I can get an idea on food quantities etc.

Any questions, PM me. Hope to see you all there! :drink:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
HI VinceL,did you get my ck,i thank you very much. Wish i could meet you guys at ohibro,next time i hope. :tu: :tu: I want to see pics of you guys,beating up them planes.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
:tu: I'm there :rockoncool:

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I'll be there, sometime Friday most likely.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Updated change of plans for OhiBro.

As we all know by now, Mike "Timerider" passed away this Tuesday. I got a call from his motorcycle club last night and they told me his funeral service is August 14th at noon at their clubhouse and club grounds. I told them that my annual ProBro event is that day and I probably would not be able to attend. They were not happy with that response, asserted in a very firm way that I will be there, and said they were hoping I could get Mike's biggest plane and fly it over thier pond for his service. Not only that, they wanted to know if I had a way to "bomb drop" his ashes from an airplane into thier pond! :shock:

So here's the deal. My brother has a bus and I will drive it to Mike's service at the club leaving the OhiBro site around 11:00am on Saturday. I hope all the Bros will join me. I told the club this and they were excited at the idea of having as many planes in the air as possible. I am thinking we all bring foamies to the service and have a mass hover of sorts over the pond. They have a huge pond in the shape of a Harley Davidson emblem.

I am not the most skilled pilot by any means and I am hoping Vince will fly a routine with Mike's big Fake Wulf. I am going to pick up the Fake Wulf and his radio and some batteries tomorrow morning. I would rather someone like Vince or whoever is willing to wring it out and put on a good show in Mike's memory. Maybe we all do a mass hover with foamies after that flight.

Next part, does anyone have a bomb drop capable plane? I know PJ does but doubt he is coming. Anyone else who may be coming have something? Or willing to craft a bomb drop device in one of their planes and bring it along?

They motorcycle club grounds are at least 100 acres and have a big clubhouse and bunches of campers and plenty of room for all of us to fly over the pond. We will not stay there long. We will do our thing, watch whatever service they have for him and hopefully bomb Mike's ashes and we will go right back to the OhiBro site. If nothing else, and we can't bomb drop Mike, I can rig up a junk slab to kamikaze dive his ashes into the pond. Hell I don't know. Kind of a weird last request but it is what it is and I can't back out. Please post up if you are willing to ride along and fly a foamie or slab for this memorial service at the club. Hopefully all will come but I understand if you want to just stay at the OhiBro site. I am fine either way but I will provide the bus we can all fit ourselves and our gear in.

Who's in? And Vince, will you fly the honorary flight of Mike's Fake Wulf? Sorry for the change up in the OhiBro itinerary, but it is what it is. :drink:

Here is a pic of his club grounds during their annual party for reference. Not all those campers will be there, just the ones at the top of the pond. They rest is all open.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Josh, We'll make it happen. I don't need to be the pilot but I'm willing if the the consensus is I'm the right choice. I'm hoping Mikes FW will be available for some fine tuning prior to the service. There will be enough stress just flying nonetheless putting on a demo flight in front of his buddies at a strange location over water.

Now for the oddest question ever, does anyone have any idea what kind of weight or volume we're talking about in terms of remains? Or will this be symbolic with only the amount that can be carried in whatever drop device we come up with? I've done some pretty odd things in my life but this one is going to be close to the top of the list.

Somehow I'm pretty sure Mike is smiling somewhere. His bike club has the right idea, remember him and have a good time doing it.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Wow, bros, this is one hell of an honor we've been given! I would love to be able to fly in for this but my schedule will not allow. What an opportunity to meet Mike's homies and celebrate his life! :rockon:

ps. Vince is a great choice! :drink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
VinceL said:
Josh, We'll make it happen. I don't need to be the pilot but I'm willing if the the consensus is I'm the right choice. I'm hoping Mikes FW will be available for some fine tuning prior to the service. There will be enough stress just flying nonetheless putting on a demo flight in front of his buddies at a strange location over water.

Now for the oddest question ever, does anyone have any idea what kind of weight or volume we're talking about in terms of remains? Or will this be symbolic with only the amount that can be carried in whatever drop device we come up with? I've done some pretty odd things in my life but this one is going to be close to the top of the list.

Somehow I'm pretty sure Mike is smiling somewhere. His bike club has the right idea, remember him and have a good time doing it.
This is bad ass and I think you are the guy to pull it off. I also am wondering on the amount of ashes to spread. I think it would be easy to create a box that we can stick to the side of a slab to do the job.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I googled the weight of ashes. 4-8lbs is the number. That's probably a bit much for most slabs. May need something with a dedicated drop rig. Possible alternative could be a drop from a full scale plane if we can't come up with an RC drop plane.

Matt

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm not sure of the real weight. We got the same answer from Google but a buddy recently had a loss and the funeral home gave a much lower estimate. At any rate it's a significant load size wise. We just put a pound of four in a container that I thought of using. It's quite a volume. Not sure I would want more than that as aerodynamic drag. I think I can rig something up for my Kadet Senior strapped to the top of the wing easily, but about a pound is going to be the max load. If it all has to be dropped at once we need a different plan. Ultralight or powered parachute would be good options if available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What if we did multiple planes with drops? We could all line up and swoop down and drop one after another?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, another update. I was chopping the OhiBro field all weekend and never got online to see the responses here.

We are not going to bomb drop Mike's ashes now. Even though they told me we were going to, and that it was Mike's request to have it done, i guess some members of the club were against it as it is against the law. I had no idea there was such a law and since this service is open to the public, some members were worried of the legal parts of it. Short story is no more bomb drop. They will scatter his ashes in the pond privately after the service at a members only thing I guess.

I did go early Sunday morning and pick up the airplane they wanted us to fly. I went to pick up the Fake Wulf and they said "that isn't his biggest plane" and pointed to the other room and said this is the one we want you to fly for the service. They said he has never flown it and had just got it. It is a brand new Eflite 2M Draco! The thing is SWEET! They also asked if I wanted one of Mike's planes saying Mike would have wanted you to have one so I took his Fake Wulf as it was one of his best builds and the pride of his fleet. And what a fleet he had! He had 50+ more airplanes than I thought! He had two rooms filled with built and ready to fly airplanes. He must have liked building way way more than flying.

So I guess no bomb drop, do a flight with the Draco, and then a mass hover of sorts and we will be done.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well, one issue gone and perhaps even a bigger one now. I have no idea about the Draco but many of the newer Horizon birds come with fancy new electronic "assists" that can be quite problematic. We really need to get ahold of that airplane if they want it flown. To maiden something like that under those conditions would be potentially dangerous and something I don't think would be right to try. Please, if that airplane can't be flown prior to the service convince them the Fake Wolf is the best choice.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VinceL said:
Well, one issue gone and perhaps even a bigger one now. I have no idea about the Draco but many of the newer Horizon birds come with fancy new electronic "assists" that can be quite problematic. We really need to get ahold of that airplane if they want it flown. To maiden something like that under those conditions would be potentially dangerous and something I don't think would be right to try. Please, if that airplane can't be flown prior to the service convince them the Fake Wolf is the best choice.
Vince, I picked up and have the Draco and the Fake Wulf in my possession. I am reading the manual to the Draco as I type this. Yea, it is complicated. It has motor reversing, 7 different LED light modes, AS3X, Safe Select, all kinds of crazy shit. I am going to try to get the program for it downloaded onto Mike's Tx but never done anything like that before. I will hopefully have it ready to maiden by Friday of OhiBro. We can fly it and tune it as much as we need. Same with the Fake Wulf. Maybe If we can get both flying good, we can fly both for the service. I can fly the Draco and you the Fake Wulf. If we only fly the Draco, you can fly it. I just know the Draco is no 3D machine and I have been quite comfortable with the full flap flying and STOL capabilities of the Timber on floats I have and can fly the Draco mildly if needed and you can wring out the Fake Wulf. More realistically, with not much time to practice and tune, just you flying the Draco is sufficient. Really appreciate all the help! :drink:

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I picked up the Draco, it seemed heavy for a foam airplane but I really have no experience with Eflite or Horizon stuff other than the Timber I have. But just reading the manual, it says the Draco is 10 lbs. with a 6S 5000! What a porker.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts