The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I was at the field I was having trouble with a new to me DLE55. I swapped my DLE35 for the 55 on my Revolto, but left the ignition from the 35 on there for the time being. Engine started and ran great with no problems at all. However, the angled cap on 35 ignition didn't fit too well on the 55 so I swapped them out. With the ignition that came with the 55, I only got it to start once but it quickly died. Couldn't get it to pop again.

At home, I took the plug out and rotated the prop and there is a spark, but it seems pretty weak. Wondering if I have an ignition issue. The 35 ignition is a DLE A-02 with a 4.8-8.4V voltage range. The 55 is a RcExcel A-02 with a 6-12V range. Using a LiFe pack for power. Would that make the spark weaker on the 55?

·
Registered
779 Posts
LIFE packs are known for low C ratings and they are being used routinely in turbines some claim the low C rating is a problem with Kero starts which is a brushed motor, ECU, ceramic igniter all pulling off battery at once, which they overcome by a much larger pack like 4000MAH.

I'm not saying there bad, but size quality and low C rating can cause low volts. I'm still ol'e school and stick with A123
EDNano A123 Batteries

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. However, I've been using these packs for years with no issues. And the DLE35 ignition seemed to be working fine. This is the first time I've tried the 55 ignition since I got the engine. Previously ran it on the 35 one, which worked great.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I'd check the battery voltage under load. Make sure it is delivering the full 6v minimum required with the 55 ign box. I think what c/f was getting at was being at the 6v min for the ign the amp draw is going to be higher.

·
Registered
14,051 Posts
This is what I have on my DLE 65

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Revisiting this topic....

I want to take the Probolto with the DLE55 out to the field tomorrow but I still haven't sorted out the ignition issue. Want to try a 2S lipo to see if it makes any difference in the cutting out, but don't have any on hand. Since the ignition is labeled 6-12V, would a 3S lipo with a storage charge on it be too much? My other option would be to disconnect one cell but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
Just use the balance plug. There’s one + and three -
The middle - would give you two cell voltage
Pull the middle wire from the male end of an extension and you’ll have a connector.
check all I said with your voltmeter.

Reactions: joebob
1 - 8 of 8 Posts