The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Help with Balsarite liquid

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  lomcevek1 
#1 ·
My Balsarite liquid (in the can) is starting to thicken up a bit. Does anyone know what I can mix in to thin it a bit?? :?:

Thanks much,

JW

#2 ·
The smell indicates that MEK is the thinner agent to use. I could be wrong. I never try it. Take a sample to test.
Have a nice day.

#4 ·
The Methil Ethil Ketone is an agent used to thin the dope used to cover ultra ligth airplanes so you should be able to find it on an Ultra ligth airplane shop.

#13 ·
MEK is nasty stuff. The PPM count to cause headache, nausea, dizziness is really low. It stinks to high heaven. and has a cumulative effect on your liver and kidneys if breathing vapors, or absorbed through the skin.

SO Do not breathe the vapors, and DO NOT USE IT TO CLEAN YOUR HANDS !!!!!!!!

#16 ·
lomcevek1 said:
MEK is nasty stuff. The PPM count to cause headache, nausea, dizziness is really low. It stinks to high heaven. and has a cumulative effect on your liver and kidneys if breathing vapors, or absorbed through the skin.

Ya I had a good dose of MEK in the sevice, about 5 gal dumped down the front of me, it made a nice ring on my skin where my belt was, and I was ill for a day after.
I stayed away from it after that.

#17 ·
rcairnut said:
lomcevek1 said:

Ya I had a good dose of MEK in the sevice, about 5 gal dumped down the front of me, it made a nice ring on my skin where my belt was, and I was ill for a day after.
I stayed away from it after that.
OUch man that doesnt sound good at alll........

#18 ·
A knowledgeable builder once told me that balsarite was really just model airplane dope. I thought he should know cause he's the best silk and dope guy in the area (a dying breed).

Not sure if he meant butyrate or nitrate dope though, but I think one of those thinners would work.

I guess that's not much help though to a bunch of guys who use only heat shrink covering.

#20 ·
John Wells said:
OK, I went to Home Depot and bought an innocent little can of that shit and check out what one little drop did to my hand. Thirty seconds after it touched my skin....SON OF A BITCH!! I never knew what hit me!!! :lol: :lol:

JW
Nice stuff! But most of the guys I knew that used it did not have your reation. I wasn't quite that bad with a bath of it. I'd say you have a strong alergy to it, and I would also say have someone else do the handling for you or better yet just find a differant way to get the same job done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.