The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
I‘ve been flying an X20 for over a year now. It was a big change from my Hitec A9 but has been worth the effort. Ethos is their new operating system and from what I understand is similar to Open Tx. I’ve grown to be a competent but casual user. The radio is mind boggling in what it is capable of, 99% of which I will never use. Updates have gotten much easier since the release of Ethos Suite which pretty much will do it for you automatically. Given time and patience they’re great radios although the learning curve can be steep.

· Registered
7,240 Posts
I just upgraded from my taranis x9 Lite to the new RadioMaster TX16S MK2. Simply badass radio. Built in multi protocol module and full color touch screen. You can add custom Model images. It runs the new EdgeTX which operates almost just like OpenTX.
Auto part Gas Gadget Machine Motor vehicle

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Monoplane Toy airplane

Gadget Digital camera Reflex camera Camera lens Cameras & optics

Reactions: ben_beyer

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really liked the one I played with 2 years ago but that was when they were having the Gimbal drift issue. I looked at getting the Mark II version but got one of those mental blocks that I can't get over due to the Gimbals.

· Registered
7,240 Posts
I really liked the one I played with 2 years ago but that was when they were having the Gimbal drift issue. I looked at getting the Mark II version but got one of those mental blocks that I can't get over due to the Gimbals.
I have not seen any drift on mine as of yet. all the newer versions come with Hall Effect gimbals now as well.

Reactions: ben_beyer

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the base model which had the Hall Effect gimbals and I think if you upgraded to the next level sticks, that issue went away.

I don't fully remember and it was one of those things.

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just baby steps tonight by getting the TD6R bound to the transmitter. It's a pretty easy process but you have to register the receiver to the transmitter first and then bind it.

I'm going to use my Avistar as a test bed so hopefully tomorrow I can plan around with the images in the transmitter and do more of the setup.

Attachments

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for no new information the past two days. The internet at the house went down last night plus we had a Leadership change at work so I've been polishing up the resume and looking at possible prospects for a new job.

· Registered
710 Posts
I think Frsky is going to release an x20s special edition in red next month and I think I may get it. I was told there is a sim you could use to setup models like the companion app but I can’t find it.
Currently there is no sim like companion however Ethos Suite has indications that it is coming. Suite has made updating the radio and it's components very simple as well as getting custom pictures sized correctly for the radio.

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was hoping to test run the engine before doing the FrSky setup but given the weather, I'm just going to have to go for it.

It went pretty easy but I had to look up a few things that FrSky does differently than Futaba. It should be pretty close and I'll watch a few more videos on the setup procedure to make sure I have everything in the transmitter.

Next steps also include orienting and mounting the antennas.

Hopefully I can get some flights in on Saturday after the club meeting.

Attachments

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I tried to maiden the Avistar with the X18S yesterday after the club meeting but it wasn't to be. The Range check was fine and I had checked the battery for my glow ignitor on Thursday but forgot to grab an extra C battery just in case. So I couldn't get the motor to start and then had honey-do's to work on yesterday.

I was about to start to see about getting the motor to run this afternoon when our dryer stopped working. So I had to trouble shoot that in 15 minutes into it my daughter woke up from her nap and my wife headed out to go dry everything that was still wet.

It's life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts