Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Glitter Mini

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to wake this site back up with a new design. Been learning to use Autodesk Inventor for work and in part of the learning process I grabbed some of my RC gear to learn to model them and went ahead and shrunk the Glitter down to a 32" flat plate foamie.
Vote on a name idea or if you have other ideas I will add them to the poll. Will let the poll run for a couple of weeks.

Specs
32" span
29-1/2" long
Use your electronics out of a value hobbies foamy setup
I'm going with four 5 gram servos so I can have ailerons on separate servos.
Building mine out of 9mm depron that I have on hand
Weight of my foam parts for one and the electronics out of my old crashed giles is right at 8 ounces so figuring around 8-1/2 ounces after glue and paint is added. Was hoping for under 8 but oh well.
sending the second one to jake for his opinion and if we are happy then I will post plans for it to be built out of 9mm depron or EPP as well as a second set based around dollar tree foam for those that want cheap.

Will add more pictures as the build progresses and hopefully jake will add some as well.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dhooks said:
If a piece of foam would wake this site up, wild Fred would be holding court from a large yacht right now.
LOL A bro can try though can't he?

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wild Fred said:
there's foam construction with eps that flies like dog poop, and there's flat plate foamies that are the best thing since the lamyak. i'm buying new sails for my yacht this week, by the way...
Thanks for the high regaurds.

:D

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the stripes on the bottom of the wings and tail this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paint is done and started some of the assembly. Got spar glued into the elevator and the stab glued to the horizontal portion of the fuse. The rest is just pictured dry assembled to check the fit. I'm happy so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
allen said:
Which solution are you going to go with to deal with the tail twist? Z-cut reinforcement like vh & twisted foamies? or a bunch of cf lattice work?
I'm hoping this thing being 9mm depron that it wont have much tail twist and I can say it doesn't feel like it has much with just a dry assembly. If it does though and its bad then I will do carbon fiber lattice.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doug G said:
Looking good Chris! :tu:
Thank you sir. Just glad I have the motivation to work on some stuff a little bit.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
BalsaDust said:
I'm hoping this thing being 9mm depron that it wont have much tail twist and I can say it doesn't feel like it has much with just a dry assembly. If it does though and its bad then I will do carbon fiber lattice.
I miss these things. The tail was always 30-45 degrees behind the nose until we copied 45 degree, z cut foam reinforcements.

old23.jpg

black-and-yellow.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12,514 Posts

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got some more work done. Used the router base for the Dremel to cut the main spar notch as well as the servo pockets. May be going a little overboard recessing the servos into the wing some but I thought it looked nicer that way.

No progress will be for a week or so though as I will be in Texas for a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
BalsaDust said:
Got some more work done. Used the router base for the Dremel to cut the main spar notch as well as the servo pockets. May be going a little overboard recessing the servos into the wing some but I thought it looked nicer that way.

No progress will be for a week or so though as I will be in Texas for a week.
Nice Chris :drink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts