The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a 3D foam plane what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I'd consider the Revolto from Twisted Hobbys to be near the top of the list of good 3D foamies. It's definitely my favorite foamie. It's similar in size and weight to a Sabre 35, and uses pretty much the same electronic gear. But the Revolto is a MUCH looser plane than the Saber 35. Lots of fun for experienced 3D pilots, but might be a nightmare for beginning 3D pilots.
Revolto by Twisted Hobbys

The Giles 202 from Value Hobby is also a nice flying plane. It's much smaller and lighter than the Revolto, and costs only a fraction of the Revolto. If you have never had a 3D foamie before, this is the one to get first.
Giles 202 from Value Hobby

Reactions: jibracer13

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd consider the Revolto from Twisted Hobbys to be near the top of the list of good 3D foamies. It's definitely my favorite foamie. It's similar in size and weight to a Sabre 35, and uses pretty much the same electronic gear. But the Revolto is a MUCH looser plane than the Saber 35. Lots of fun for experienced 3D pilots, but might be a nightmare for beginning 3D pilots.
Revolto by Twisted Hobbys

The Giles 202 from Value Hobby is also a nice flying plane. It's much smaller and lighter than the Revolto, and costs only a fraction of the Revolto. If you have never had a 3D foamie before, this is the one to get first.
Giles 202 from Value Hobby

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave I have had 2 3D foamie .That Revolto looks good .Would you recommended the 72g motor/30A ESC (PC72.5) setup which is heavier setup with more thrust.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I'm not sure about Twisted Hobby electronics package because I've never used them. I would guess you will want the more powerful package.
Mine has a Super Tigre .10 motor and a 40 amp ESC with a 3 amp BEC. Servos are EMax ES09MD digital metal gears. Lipo range for good 3D performance is 3S 1300 - 1500 (or 3S 1000 - 1300 graphene).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've got the same motor on my Revolto, 30A Hobbywing ESC, same servos in wing, and some nicer KST's on the tail. I've flown both the "light" setup of c/f's, and the heavier setup like mine and McDDD;s--I prefer the heavier setup for the Wyoming breezes, but you can get it too heavy--I flew it first on some old 1550 3S and a heavier 40A esc, and really didn't like it. After going to 1300 3S and the lighter 30A esc, saving a little over an ounce, I liked it better. It did weird shit when heavy: felt a little tip-stall-y, and shaky in upright and inverted harrier. It's a hoot once you get it dialed to your liking though--will damn near eat its own tail :)

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Jeff raised some good points about the Revolto. The heavier it gets, the less fun it is to fly 3D, unless the fun factor of the power increase makes up for the extra weight. I started out with a 1500 3S lipo but have now switched over to a 3S 1000 graphene lipo. The flight times are shorter, but the flights are more fun with the lighter battery. The EMax ES09MD servos are on my ailerons, but the tail still has TowerPro digital metal gears, which are working fine. However these TowerPro servos were purchased several years ago and recent reports of the newer TowerPro digital metal gear servos haven't been good. So avoid the new TowerPro servos and use the EMax 09MD instead.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Dave and Jeff thanks for that info. :) (y)
My Revolto is only 2 projects away in the Que. I have you guys notes saved on the tail rod reinforcements, and your other tips.
I bought Thunder Power 3S 875's 70C for my Revolto, I hope that's not too light, otherwise I do have 1000's and 1350's - both not graphene.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm currently using 1300 25C Rhinos and 75C 1000 graphenes--they are nearly identical in weight. I get about 30sec less flight time on the 1000's, but they do have noticeably more punch initially

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Speaking of foamies. This thing showed up today. Gonna be a hoot in the front yard and some float flying during lunch breaks off the pond at work
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Trunk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice balsadust

·
Registered
124 Posts
Reactions: jibracer13

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don’t forget to give Value Hobby foamies a look, the Slick 32” is a badass little foamie. I’m on my 2nd one in 5 years!
Toy airplane Toy Aircraft Monoplane Vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts