The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Crazy what used trailers sale for,2006 6x12 ok looking 2000 bucks. So ,at my age and health,knowing i wont use one that much,what to do. Get a 5x8 cheappy ,all i need,or use my truck and be happy. Really, cant loose much,the resale value staying so high. Cant decide guys,guess need get on phone,see what deal is out there. :dk: :dk:

·
Registered
14,051 Posts
Buy something big enough to carry all your shit to the field, but not that big that it will cost you a fortune (at 10-12mpg) to tow it to ProBro's that are 500+ miles away from you.
In 2013 I drove mine close to 15,000 miles to different ProBro's in CO, OR, ID, NM, TN.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thats a lot of miles Gus,your right about not to big,at least for me. Big box on boat trailer,that could work. One of the biggest draws is a place to hang them planes,ready to go. I guess like a mobile shop,or shop extension. Just an old man getting lazy,any way you go its work,but i do like it. My son said,rent a uhaul,guess that would work a few times a year.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just rented a trailer,5x8 from u haul. 4 days,80.00 plus tax. Best way to test out if a trailer is the way to go. Like a future wife,test before you buy. lol But think a small camper be best,wife, good as she is,dont take to tents,well,i like a good bed to. Plus,miss out on the night fires.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Very good Plug. You'll love NashBro!!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Sparkplug, I will be at Nash and you can check out my trailer. I was at Eldon 2 years ago when you were in Missouri but I camped the far end of the field where you were hanging out.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
You can also check with your local RV dealer get one of those 20 year old beat up pop-ups that got traded in. You can store your airplanes in there. That’s what Zamfir‘s uses.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi guys,i rented a u haul 5x8 last nash trip,did good but dont like the 5.0 height and my mid size truck was near all it wanted. Now looking at 6x10 trailers to get the 6.0 height. Does the v nose help in wind drag,or the 5x8 was flat nose and had lots of wind drag,is there a big help by having a v nose. I know,get bigger truck,got a 3500 ram cummings 6 speed,cant drive no more,cant push clutch,sucks.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The V-nose probably helps a little, but not enough that I've noticed anything great. Prowler on here and I both have 6x12 vnose; his however, has a dropped top of the V, so it angles down at the front as well. I think his pulls a little easier than mine, but you're dreaming if you think you'll get anything like 40% better mileage. I've pulled my 6x12 to many fly-ins, both with gassers and diesel, and if you want to drive 75mph, you're looking at 10mpg with a gasser, maybe 11-12 with a diesel. Before anyone jumps my shit about diesels getting 20mpg pulling, mine was with a bone stock '01 Cummins, running 75mph all across MT to the Athol ProBro. 11 the 1st year with the Cummins, 10 the next year with my '14 GMC 5.3 gasser, A.D.3D co-driving. Three trips to Iowa with Prowler's 6x12, once with Ozzy's 5.3 Chevy (11-12), once with my 6.2 Chevy (11), and once with my '21 GMC 3.0 Duramax (13). This is with Ozzy driving angry; we never went less than 75-80 the whole way. If you're willing to drive 65mph, expect more like 13-15+

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks Wyo69cowboy,no i was talking 40 percent wind drag. I drive conservity get 23 mg on 2012 canyon with 5cy. Got 18 pulling 5x8 uhaul with flat nose. Like holding 2 4x8 sheets of ply in the wind,lot of drag. Thats all my truck realy wanted,so if 6x10 v nose be about the same it be ok. The weight was ok,just wind drag. My 2001 3500 ram with cum and 6speed and 411 gears gets 20mg. Gross weight on trip to fla,with 18 wheel truck on trailer was34,000,got 14mg driving 65 or so. pulling small camper 17mg. Shame i cant drive it much,bad ass truck,135,00 miles,not broken in good. And pull any thing,even moved a mid size track hoe a few times,that was pushing it,just cause you can dont mean you should. lol I do drive easy,it helps on fuel.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well,think i bought a trailer,5x10 v nose,7ft high. Went to get it,guy in army selling it did not have all the paper work done. But deal still still on,so guess its mine. Looks a bit strange with the extra height,but nice not to duck your head ,better on my back to. Trying to stay as small and light as can,and still get the planes moved.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
Yeah, you get better miles per gallon with a lower ceiling, but the extra room is nice. I originally ordered my 5X10 with 4 1/2 food ceiling, but they made it 5 foot. I have been very glad to have that extra half foot.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Your right,most 5 wide trailers are 5ft high,most of us be 5.8 or so. After renting the u haul last nash,it was 5ft high i did not like bending over as i carred a plane,watching my feet so not to fall on it all. This one is bit taller than i needed,but like Cartman,i can hang stuff overhead.😁 Hoping its not to big a fuel sucker,i be afrade high gas be with us a lot longer. Got to find some sparkplug stickers to put on the sides.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts