The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
2181 - 2200 of 2224 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Oh shucks,my old flying buddy came by today,has not flown in 20 years. Took him to field,flew 202 and mojo25,he was impressed by the el flight. Last flight of mojo,i had beat kind hard on it,the batt came off,this with velcro backing and a strap. Plane not bad hurt,batt got dented,dont trust it so its trash. Guess got to rethink batt hold down,it slid up through strap with velco on back of batt,must be some big g force going on. So,what to do,use two straps 180 to each other.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
ChuckD said:
Velcro on fuse and battery :tu:
And not just stuck to the covering. I remove the coving under the Velcro, and use medium CA to glue it to the fuse. That with a strap, and you won't sling a battery.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
FlightCrazed said:
ChuckD said:
Velcro on fuse and battery :tu:
And not just stuck to the covering. I remove the coving under the Velcro, and use medium CA to glue it to the fuse. That with a strap, and you won't sling a battery.
What this guy said right here. Velcroed to the fuse and a single strap is more than enough. I have supported up to 2200mah 4S packs this way and have never slung a pack off a plane using this method.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That be what i use. But,because i move batt 1in fore and aft for balance, the strap is not centered on batt all the time. When i got to plane the strap was closed,so even if not tight on batt,the batt had to slip out,even with velcro. It was not slung off,but sliped upward,i guess it was not held to velcro tightly. I am going to rethink batt mount,i have 50 flights no problem but now feel must be on edge. The fact i move batts is no doubt the problem,cant strap them down as well. Am thinklng 57 rubber band run top to bottom would help,or a long velcro strap. Just a warning,theres more force being applied to batts than we think,WF had old strap give up bit back,did not think much about it at the time,wonder how much g force is being applied to batts. Good to hear from Chuck D,hope you come to nash. :tu:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I Love it when the batteries come flying off! not! I have crashed so many times that way.
My last set up which has worked for a long time is velcro and I found some zip ties that have a quick release lever type thing and I zip tie them on. Now they dont come off!
Flew my VH sabre 40 today what a treat! I got it used and kind of beat but what a nice profile 3s 2200 setup actually all the gear from an UL Slick that Mo built I had crashed. (actually the ESC killed it! oh well) Man I wish VH were still producing these. They were great disposable planes and now not so disposable!

Managed to burn up a cobra motor yesterday in a Sabre 35. many flights on that thing! Feel like I should get a trophy for that!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well,i be not the only one. I shall search for better way. The main point was the g force must be greater than i ever thought,a warning to all,i truly thought the strap and velcro was plenty,i guess a extra strap not much to ask,more so if you move batts to change cg. Its the little things that take us out,mostly.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Were you pushing that motor hard,or it just was time after many warm flights. I think the glues give up on magnets after hot runs and time works on them. Me to,now that i think about it,know i glowed red and slung a few parts in my day. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
sparkplug said:
Well,i be not the only one. I shall search for better way. The main point was the g force must be greater than i ever thought,a warning to all,i truly thought the strap and velcro was plenty,i guess a extra strap not much to ask,more so if you move batts to change cg. Its the little things that take us out,mostly.
One strap should be more than adequate it just needs to be in the center of the battery.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
One should do it but things happen. I move batts to change cg,say wind be strong,a foward cg helps plane penetrate better,or using smaller batt. My fault i agree,but never would i have thought a batt with velcro would slide,not pull off,slide up,just never crossed my mind. Guess i be saying,if you like your planes a lot,check your setup,i had 40 flights before this came about. WF had his strap break,would two not be smart. There must be larger forces on our batts than i ever thought,but what do a plug know.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The club had a meeting yesterday and a decent number of people were out. I was going to take something to fly but given the chances of rain and how wet it was out there, I was glad I didn't.

One of our older club members has a Godfrey Laser 200 kit he built 30 some odd years ago and recently converted it to electric. He wanted me to fly it for him and I made a very short re-maiden on it. We had to cut it short because after I lifted off and was climbing, he remembered that he had forgotten to tighten down the wing bolts. I carefully brought it around and landed it and one of the wings had shifted 1/4" out. The landing gear was not really setup for our grass so it broke one of the nylon bolts holding it on causing it to turn slightly and nose over. When it did that, it also broke loose at a joint for the gear thus making a second flight not possible.

I told the owner that if he ever decides to sell it to let me know though.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Fo sho sparkplug. Especially after he told me the wings weren't fully attached.

I'll say one thing, IMAC and Pattern really taught me to be smooth with the sticks :lol:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
35 years ago,while flying at clubs field,a man pulled up,ask if he could fly,i said sure. He pulled out a case,like a big gun box. Open it,was a glass pattern plane,about 6ft wing,flawless,put together and flew the straightest lines i ever saw. Like it was on a string,up and down he went. Told me,reduce your rates,then reduce again,smooths things out. I must say,was not 3d,but very much something to behold,at the time i did not understand just how good he was. All things a man does leaves its marks,on himself and others. Bet you were good at pattern flying,3d came easy after that. Hot and wet for all this week,need the rain,but dog gone its muggy,feels like fla on a good day. :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
747 Posts
One good thing to come out of the FPV racing drone guys is they shucked 160gram batteries all the time and ended their heat race. To combat that they now have silicone backed velcro straps and silicone sticky pads, like for pet hair cleanup, this silicone will actually get grippier as the battery temp increases. It's all I gear up for, I hate velcro on my batteries ..............

OH and they created turtle mode, that lets the motor burst backawards when upside down and flip itself back over and get airborne again. mother of invention, no RC plank or heli flyer ever had a need to keep from shucking batteries..... :rockoncool:

https://www.google.com/search?q=silicon ... AnoECAEQBA

https://www.google.com/search?q=silicon ... cCegQIABAA

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks cf,say these hold better than velcro,new had to be better way of holding batts. Its a bad thing to watch a plane go down,no batt,nothing you can do. If you get a chance,and dont mind,a pic of your all out super trailer for those who never have seen it. I did for just a minute,to much to take in. Plug say,lock them batts down,extra something be needed. Though no one commented,the g loads on batts must be large,i think more than we would expect. Need a math guy to answer that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I got out and put 3 flights on the DeJaVu since it's the only thing I have flying currently yesterday. It was hot but low 90s so bearable. Other people were out flying including a pretty cool older guy who got bit by the FPV bug.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The slower times on here are a invitation to read old post. Back when many of you were starting,or still new to the game. Many have gone,some come back,not a easy game to play indeed. Still,a great bunch of guys overall doing what they love,building awesome planes,flying to the edge,over some times. I have enjoyed the ride so far,hope to see you at nash,should be a show i will remember.

2181 - 2200 of 2224 Posts