The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Cheap Charger???

976 Views 21 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Ulf
Hey Bros, I'm really trying to talk myself into buying a good charger for LiPos.

First off, my first choice is the Astro Flight. It is $125 to $129 in many places. Anyone know of a cheaper source for this charger?

Second, is there a cheaper alternative that still gives a 100% charge and a safe charge? I need to charge 3S liPos at 2 amps from a 12V source.

Thanks,
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Frank, look on RCGroups or post a wanted thread. The Astroflight is really worth the $$ and will cover all your future needs. Cause you know that once you go electric you will be hooked.
There are two of the Astros here, and both pilots swear by them. One dude also uses a Triton, and he says there is no comparison.

I have two other NiCad/NiMh chargers, so another multi charger is unwarranted. The Astro looks the way to go.
The best way to save money is to buy the right thing the first time. :wink:
I have 2 Astro 109's and 2 Apache chargers. I like the small compact Apaches very much, and they are about $50.

But, I do appreciate the display and discharge capability of the 109. The only thing I'd improve would be to be able to adjust the discharge rate so I could do more accurate capacity measurements under actual load tests.
I looked at the Apache and E-Tec ($50 All-E-RC), whick appear to be all but the identical.

These really do a 100% charge? What voltage do you get on a hot pack?

All-E-RC has Tritons for $115. That's getting better. That charger looks to be good too, but the Astro still looks great.
Damn! Triton for $110 at BPP!
I've got the Apache. I'll check a pack fresh off the charger. Haven't done it yet.

I've got this charger, and an El-cheapo that I picked up. I like both of them, for different reasons. The Apache does up to 4 cells and I can hook it up to my car battery or field box battery (I have a motorcyle battery in it) at the field. The cheap one has an AC wall-wart power supply and only charges at 425mah and only does 3 cells, but it will bring an under-volt pack up to voltage so the Apache will charge it. It will also 100% top-off a pack.

I'll check the voltage off the Apache tonight.
BPP Triton at $110 and free shipping...

Looks like I'm gonna try a Triton.

Anything to worry about?
http://www.battlepack.com/chargers.asp

has the Astro 109 for $113. Show this URL to Hobby Lobby and they'll knock 10% off of that.
Can I just call them in the morning, or e-mail the link and wait for an answer>

I'd rather have the Astro...
Just pulled an E-Tec 3 cell 1200mah pack off the Apache and it read 12.53 volts.
My POS Hobbico can only cram 12.2 in any of mine... If the $50 deal works, then why not?
I have some Apaches..It puts like 95% of the charge in, then it will eventually put it all in after another 30 min. or so. If you're not at the field, just leave it on a little while longer to get it all.

Just call Billy Hell! Tell him the url, I'm sure he'll treat you right. But if the b-p-p price is not a sale, they will take 10% off of that and match the shipping, I think. Hell, I might get another if that works! :D
HL doesn't have the Triton, Apache, or Astro in stock.

For double the money, how much better is the Triton? I usually charge the LiPos the night before flying, so the time for the last 5% isn't huge either. If I wanna fly, immediately after a charge, I'll just expect only 95% of a flight.

I do not need the NiCad/NiMh option. I have both a charger and a cycler for those.

Both seem to charge Lipos at about the same rate. I only need 2 amps.

Is the Triton just cooler with all the bells and whistles? Don't need bells, don't care for whistles.

If I go with BPP, I'll order tonight, as the free shipping deal actually expired on 10/31, but dude says he will honor it until the site updates and no longer shows it. That happens at midnight tonight.

At BPP
Apache 4 cell charger $49.90 with free shipping, or a Triton at $109.95 also free shipping.

I'm so confused! :?
See less See more
I bought the Apache 1500 because a 3S1200 was gonna be the biggest pack I'd ever own. Then I got the Apache 2500 cause a 3S 2500 was gonna be the biggest pack I'd ever own..but it won't work off my power supply, so I got an Astro 109, surely it'll charge anything I'll ever own...but it won't charge 10S lipos :shock:
ChuckAuger said:
I bought the Apache 1500 because a 3S1200 was gonna be the biggest pack I'd ever own. Then I got the Apache 2500 cause a 3S 2500 was gonna be the biggest pack I'd ever own..but it won't work off my power supply, so I got an Astro 109, surely it'll charge anything I'll ever own...but it won't charge 10S lipos :shock:
Yep, I hear ya Chuck. I bought a Shulze 6-330 two years ago. It'll charge a 11S lipo. I wonder when it will be "not enough"? :shock:
OK! OK! OK!
I ordered an Astro Flight charger. $110.58 shipped. I have to wait, as they are out of stock, but mine should ship on 11/19.

This thing better make coffee too!
TailTwister said:
This thing better make coffee too!
It doesn't make coffee, but it will shake it's ass at you to make you feel better!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.