The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Anything new with pbf

7K views 118 replies 16 participants last post by  sparkplug 
#1 ·
Just thinking should i try a MCCDDD pbf,never been close to one.🛰🚀🛸🚁⛵ yep.

#7 · (Edited)
Nothing really new, but here's the link to my old PBF webpage.
Dave McDDD's PBF Webpage

Here's a link to the PBF plans. NOTE: The plans have been updated to show the fin/rudder size has been increased to 8"x8" with a 4" rudder.
Dave McDDD's PBF Plans

Here's a video of a PBF from about 12 years ago. Engine is an OS 25FP spinning a Grish 9x4 prop. All up dry weight is just a little over 2 pounds. If you have a 25 size engine that runs and throttles very well, it would be a great choice to put on a PBF. Also notice that inverted flight is no problem.
PBF, OS 25FP, 9x4 prop

Here's another video of an overpowered PBF. Engine is a Thunder Tiger 42GP with a mouse can pipe spinning a Master Airscrew 10x4 prop. Dry weight is 2 pounds, 6 ounces.
PBF, TT 42GP with MCP, 10x4 prop

#8 · (Edited)
Earlier this year I built an electric version of a 24"x24" coroplast PBF, but there isn't enough weight in the nose to correctly balance with the square wing. So I ended up cutting off the front corners to get it to aerodynamically balance. It's fun to fly, but the 25 glow powered version will literally run circles around it.
Asphalt Toy Floor Road surface Flooring

#9 · (Edited)
About 10 years ago I built an electric PBF out of blue core fan fold foam. It's powered by a 2826 size motor, about 1000kv, spinning a 10x3.8 slow flyer prop. With a 3S 850 it weighs 11 ounces. On a calm evening or indoors, it flies great.
Wood Rectangle Font Material property Gas
Wood Font Material property Rectangle Gas
Table Aircraft Monoplane Propeller Wing

#10 ·
Definitely do a PBF Plug.. Such a blast! I had 40 and 25 sizes. Both had good qualities. They'll teach you to hover and harrier better than anything else. The indistructability is the best quality of them. My fav maneuver ended up being a full power dive followed by a last minute pull out. Sometimes going right into the ground and cartwheeling off. So fun!!

#11 ·
#13 ·
Hahaa Chelo. Good video. That was a good low level example of the dreaded inverted PBF death dive at the end... I know that maneuver well!!

#14 ·
Spark Plug. I have a PBF here in the Garage. I'm packing for Nash right now. It would need a .40 size glow motor installed. I'm willing to bring it, if you're interested in buying. It has servos installed. Add your RX, RX battery, and Engine, ready to fly.

#20 ·
No training / extensions needed.. It's indestructible... Learning to fly it, planting it in the dirt, laughing your ... off, putting a new prop on and tossing it into the air again is all part of the PBF experience.. Repeat / enjoy. Just remember that it is not a speed plane. If you fly it fast it will do weird things (including crashing). Fly it slow, nose high and on the prop - you will have a blast.

#23 ·
Tell me more about the 25 size engine you have.

You really don't need special servos. Standard size work fine. A Futaba 3003 or 3004 only weigh about 1.25 ounces.

#25 ·
The key to a PBF that is fun to fly is keeping it light. A coroplast PBF that weighs around 2 pounds dry is LOADS of fun to fly, which is why a bushing 25 size engine works so well. A typical ball bearing 25 size engine adds another 2 ounces of weight and ends up weighing the same as an OS 40FP, which is why a lot of PBFs are powered with a 40FP.

Keep in mind that a bushing 25 powered PBF will still be way overpowered, but much easier to learn to fly than a heavier version.

#26 ·
I've got about 6 different versions of the PBF, Paintball targets,Streamer combats, Full Contact Combats w/ UHMW Spines (indestructible), Hot Rod version (MVVS w/tuned pipe) ect They are a blast to fly in close space
If you don't use that left thumb other than throttle...lol, it'll be a challenge! It WILL teach you Rudder and make a better pilot out of ya.

Lom
Now, Get up there and "Get Ya Some"

#27 ·
Well shucks,no 25 to be found,hard to believe. So heres a quick list. irvine st 20 enya 35ball enya 15 veco 19 k b 25 fp40 . I have some 1/2 oz servos,if i understand keeping weight down is were its at,will a 15 be big enought. Lots of plus vibes on this,you guys not setting plug up. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.