·
Registered
12,341 Posts
I have pics of J with a PBF... ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I never made any plans for an EPP PBF. But a PBF isn't exactly rocket science, so here's some photos of an 18x18 EPP PBF that I've been using in combat at the probro events for the past year. These photos should be enough information to get you started. Then if you have specific questions, we can figure that out as we go.

Hopefully the photos can be enlarged so you can zoom in on the details.

Rectangle Font Art Material property Painting

Insect Arthropod Rectangle Triangle Twig

Product Textile Sleeve Yellow Rectangle

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
You don't have to get fancy with a foamie PBF. Here's one built from Dollar Tree foam board and reinforced with bamboo BBQ skewers. The hinges are plain old Scotch Transparent tape.

Rectangle Paint Font Gas Art

Rectangle Wood Wall Tints and shades Space

Hood Vehicle Yellow Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can also go to lightrc.com under instructions and still find alot of pics/information. There are 3 versions of the pbf on there.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Guess i will go down the nitro road first,just so i can say i been there,done that,got my ass kicked. lol.
Well, I get that sentiment.
Until you've smoked everyone in the pits it's no fun. The smell of castor in the morning, ahhhhhh.
Seriously tho, if you've seen and flown Mike's (aka ThumbSkull) e-pbf you've seen the best Ive flown.
I need to get out to Eldon or one of the tour stops next year. Remember when we did those Pro Bro Tour shirts? I'm getting old.

Reactions: ThumbSkull

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks guys,there do be a bunch of ways to build these things, time to get out to the shop and try my hand at it.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
You can also go to lightrc.com under instructions and still find alot of pics/information. There are 3 versions of the pbf on there.
I didn't even realize his site was still up. Those were some great quality foamies! Some great info still there too! 👍🏼

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
WELL,what can i say,got nitro in my blood. Started a pbf. got cut out,spine and mounts on. Dug some 72 gear up,and servos,will try to post some pics later. Plus, that fp 40 been waiting to long for a home.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
What kind of standard servos are you planning using? The Futaba 3003 only weighs about 1.25 oz. Are yours heavier than that?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
JR 507 i have,also some mid size 1/2oz jr and hitec. Weight adding up,looks like near 3lp when done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My pbf may compare similar
4 nes507 servos
6oz tank
1450 lifepo
40fp (with 60mm extension)
10-5 apc
maple spine+engine beams
balsa control rods

2lb, 8.4oz

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Plug, the goal should be to end up no heavier than 2 lbs, 8 oz. Once you exceed the 2 1/2 pound mark, the PBF starts feeling like an overpowered slug instead of a super maneuverable overpowered feather. That's also the reason a 2 pound bushing 25 powered PBF is so much fun to fly.

I just weighed a JR 507 servo without the servo arm and it weighs 1.6 ounces. So with four servos in a PBF, that adds up to nearly a full 1 1/2 ounces heavier than four Futaba 3003.
A 700 life battery is plenty big enough, and only weighs about 1.25 ounces.
A typical 2.4 receiver should weigh about 1/2 ounce.
An empty 4 ounce fuel tank should weigh about 1 ounce.
Don't use a switch. Just plug the battery directly into the receiver.
Don't fill up the fuel tank. About 2 or 3 ounces of fuel is plenty for a lazy 10 minute flight at a low throttle setting.

So getting a PBF with a 40FP down to about 2 pounds, and 6 or 7 ounces isn't very difficult.

What Hitec servo do you have? The HS-82BB or HS-85BB should work OK, and the ones I just weighed were .7 ounces each. The metal gear versions would be a better choice and only add a little more weight.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Red Table Auto part Wood Machine
Red Table Auto part Wood Machine

Just a pic of the red devil,33oz there,i used some smaller servos so 32oz plus prop and tank. So be under 2.8lp when done,if i dont muck it up. Pine center,hardwood mounts all lightly glued to board with screws. Thanks McDDD for leading the way.

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
Looking good!!!! You will love the indestructability of the PBF!!!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Looks good Plug!
But am I seeing glue back there holding the vertical fin onto the wing?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yes,i could not screw 1/4 bolts in the tail,kelp tearing out. So i used 3/16 bolts and the 5200 3m,very strong with some flex to it. Did i do wrong,as in was a give point.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts