The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
No training / extensions needed.. It's indestructible... Learning to fly it, planting it in the dirt, laughing your ... off, putting a new prop on and tossing it into the air again is all part of the PBF experience.. Repeat / enjoy. Just remember that it is not a speed plane. If you fly it fast it will do weird things (including crashing). Fly it slow, nose high and on the prop - you will have a blast.
Yep! This description pretty much nails it. :cool:

So what engine are you planning on using?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got a bunch to choose from,fp40 to start with i guess. Got some 15s,25 and lots of os46. What ever you say,i will go with. Some small servos i have,all shucks,a little diggen i got everything i need.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Tell me more about the 25 size engine you have.

You really don't need special servos. Standard size work fine. A Futaba 3003 or 3004 only weigh about 1.25 ounces.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
will look tomorrow,got a box full of engines,some foxs and tigers. Light weight is needed i gather.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The key to a PBF that is fun to fly is keeping it light. A coroplast PBF that weighs around 2 pounds dry is LOADS of fun to fly, which is why a bushing 25 size engine works so well. A typical ball bearing 25 size engine adds another 2 ounces of weight and ends up weighing the same as an OS 40FP, which is why a lot of PBFs are powered with a 40FP.

Keep in mind that a bushing 25 powered PBF will still be way overpowered, but much easier to learn to fly than a heavier version.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've got about 6 different versions of the PBF, Paintball targets,Streamer combats, Full Contact Combats w/ UHMW Spines (indestructible), Hot Rod version (MVVS w/tuned pipe) ect They are a blast to fly in close space
If you don't use that left thumb other than throttle...lol, it'll be a challenge! It WILL teach you Rudder and make a better pilot out of ya.

Lom
Now, Get up there and "Get Ya Some"

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well shucks,no 25 to be found,hard to believe. So heres a quick list. irvine st 20 enya 35ball enya 15 veco 19 k b 25 fp40 . I have some 1/2 oz servos,if i understand keeping weight down is were its at,will a 15 be big enought. Lots of plus vibes on this,you guys not setting plug up. lol

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
No worries. You are definitely not being set up to fail. In fact, just the opposite. Learning to fly the PBF will drastically improve your flying skills, especially 3D planes. The PBF will teach you how to coordinate the throttle and elevator while in harrier flight, and also how to coordinate them when doing abrupt maneuvering. You will also learn how to correctly use the rudder during harriers and abrupt maneuvers.

The very first PBF I built used an HB 15. While it was fun to fly, it flew much better after the engine was changed to an OS 25 bushing. So of the engines you listed, the 40FP is the best overall choice. The others will either be underpowered, too heavy, or won't run reliably enough or throttle well enough for use on a PBF.

A 1/2 ounce servo might work if it has metal gears. The Emax ES09MD should be a good choice of a 1/2 ounce metal gear servo, however I've never tried using one in a glow powered plane where it gets pounded by engine vibration. Otherwise a standard Futaba 3003/3004 will work fine.

If using the OS 40FP, then go buy a dozen 10x4 GF series Master Airscrew props to get you started. You can order them directly from Master Airscrew with free shipping at $30.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks McDDD,did not think about vibration beating servos up. I know your trying to help,i was joking as many have said there mean to fly,well guess thats the point of it,keep one on there toes.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Found a box full of motors i missed,25 and 35 eyna,ant over 1oz lighter. So,40fp it is. Even the 15 are 8oz,just hard to get much lighter.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Yep! 40FP still wins.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Sky Cloud Furniture Outdoor bench Vertebrate

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
It's really hard to outdo electric on a PBF, even a coro one. Plug, you saw the weight of mine (as J has pictured).

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Might have to build two,how many watts does it need. I will admitt on smaller planes el is so easy,almost cheating. Now that i think on it,i guess same power as 25 mojo,du hd,plus use lighter servos. Guess i will go down the nitro road first,just so i can say i been there,done that,got my ass kicked. lol. If my feet hold up,plan to be more ready for nash next year,that means lots of flying this winter. See the west going get a bit of cool down next week,yep,plug lived thru summer,winter coming,hip hip hurraaa. I can fly most all winter in s.c.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Plug, let's back up a minute.

Are you specifically wanting a glow powered PBF?

Or would an electric powered PBF satisfy your PBF curiosity?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I be open to either,the point is to learn better flying skills. Also,to be a pro bro you got to have a 202,and a pbf,and learn to fly them well. I have found your advice always sound,show me the best way. I got the stuff on hand so making both is no cost. Make one,learn from it,make no two. Heck,a el may be easier to learn on.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Personally, I think your best overall option would be a 18x18 electric PBF built from EPP foam with some carbon reinforcement. This would still give you the PBF experience combined with an extremely durable plane. The Value Hobby 2206 motor and their 12A ESC would work fine. The cheap 9 gram servos would also work fine. Battery could be a 2S 800 to start out with. Later on you could use a 3S 600 for more performance.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Do you have the plans on file,will give it a look. Thats the fun of flying,always something new to try. Think i try the fp40 first,just so i can say i did it,got to be fun.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Personally, I think your best overall option would be a 18x18 electric PBF built from EPP foam with some carbon reinforcement. This would still give you the PBF experience combined with an extremely durable plane. The Value Hobby 2206 motor and their 12A ESC would work fine. The cheap 9 gram servos would also work fine. Battery could be a 2S 800 to start out with. Later on you could use a 3S 600 for more performance.
This is REALLY good advice.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts