The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a DLG Kit. I did a search, and this came up:

Bird Gesture Font Line Screenshot

The first one seems like a lead sled. Anybody have any experience with it?

I am looking for a kit. HK has a Raven ARF for $150, but that seems kind of steep. Maybe I'm just a cheap, squeaky tight old buzzard and I should just let go of my inflated bucks to get it? Any suggestions for a reasonable DLG kit?

Thanks for your suggestions!

· Registered
7,239 Posts
Your best option for a DLG is to watch the classifieds on RCG and even then they wont be cheap at least not if you're looking for one that flys well. My Flitz I got used for $500.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BD, I did look there and decided I'm just too tight to fly DLG! LOL!! I'll keep an eye out for something and eventually will either die waiting for a good deal or the market will come back, and I'll feel like splurging again in retirement!! Suddenly that $150 HK Raven isn't looking so bad!

· Registered
7,239 Posts
Yeah they aren't cheap thats for sure. Building out one new will run around $1200-$1500 depending on servos and what not that you go with.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why are they so expensive? I know nothing about DLG so am genuinely curious. Does it really cost that much to stick a pin in one wingtip? 😉
The good ones are carbon fiber covered/molded wings with a pod and boom. The tail feathers MIGHT be balsa, but they are usually carbon fiber to save weight. Add some super expensive small servo's, telemetry for lift, height (Max height to level the glider after launch, along with some code and some way to use it!) and who knows what else. I was kind of shocked myself. That Chow Mein Raven isn't looking so bad.

· Registered
12,709 Posts
Steener DLG
GreenBay WI ProBro 2016...
Steener DLG

· Registered
20,274 Posts
Stay away from that raven. They’re junk. I tried one and while it wasn’t a bad performer, it was too heavy for its size for good thermalling and launching and because of its weight it ended up getting fuse cracks and the wingtip peg constantly broke and I baby’d it.

All the good DLG kits are unobtainum now. Wrightbrothers gambler and mountain models DL50 are out of business.

Your pretty much left with high end $$$ DLGs, dreamflight Labelle or a mini dlg ELF from Kennedy Composites.
I wasn’t impressed at all by the labelle. Heavy and while strong, it just didn’t glide well imho compared to a balsa DLG of the same size.
But the ELF is fantastic. If you can keep up with a mini dlg then that’s your best bet. They’re awesome.

· Registered
7,239 Posts
Why are they so expensive? I know nothing about DLG so am genuinely curious. Does it really cost that much to stick a pin in one wingtip? 😉
Because they are all carbon fiber and a ton of engineering goes into them to perform the way they do. For reference my Flitz is 1.5M wingspan and only weighs 239 grams which is actually on the heavier side for these things. There are some guys out there with a 1.5M bird that weighs right at 200 grams which is so freaking light it could thermal a cow fart.

Reactions: Pro Bro

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wood Pilot,

Thanks for the pointer. I did take a look and the quality does seem better than a Raven. The price isn't that much more at this point. They all seem expensive! The fact that they are out of stock indicates they are in demand, so I'll keep an eye out or get one on backorder.

Thanks! I knew SOMEBODY would save me some dough and point me in the right direction!!

· Registered
20,274 Posts
If you want to stay cheap you can’t beat the elf but I’d say if you could turn loose more to get a “real” DLG I’d say you’d find it worth it and after a season you’d consider that you got your money’s worth from it if you’re actually into thermalling and not just looking for a different thing to fly or way to relax.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll take a look at some of the other DLG's from Kennedy to see what makes sense. It probably WOULD be worth a few extra bucks down the road. I know how that goes. You start with a Tower Hobbies Fun 51, then you get a foamie, a few Mojo's and Slide's and pretty soon you just wish all you owned were Slide's! LOL!!! It would have been easier to go right to the Slide (Or whatever your favorite 3D plane is!).

· Registered
7,239 Posts
If you want to look at a full on performance DLG look at the Fltiz 3 or the Falcon here. Guy's site is a little clunky but he is a top notch dude.

Another option here is the BAMF 2. They even have an option of a receiver ready version which could be nice for someone new to DLG's as the servo setup especially on the ailerons is vastly different than a normal plane.

• Helpful

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we'll have to see what happens to the stock market before my wife will let me get a BAMF 2!! I just did a little swapping in the ham radio arena and she's still reeling from that!! I told her that since I dug the pipe to the well house to replace our main line it saved over $5,000. I figured $1,000 for me was a good reward. I might have to sabotage the line again!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

· Registered
7,239 Posts
Hmmm maybe I need to use that one with the 1000's I have saved us over the years doing all the repairs on our vehicles myself.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doug,

Thank You!! THAT is something I'm willing to try! Any short cut kits btw? Just checking! LOL!! I'm off to get the plans and read all 247 pages of the thread. I've read a few and skimmed some midway through and it seems like something up my alley! I'll need something to build while boondocking this winter. This and a Slide or Wagas Yak may keep me busy!

Thank again!

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Steener DLG
GreenBay WI ProBro 2016...
Steener DLG
Straightup, I TOTALLY missed your response! I was hoping for slightly longer flight times, but I'll take a look at using a Yak! LOL!! I think the Led Sled in my first post might fly farther!

· Registered
12,709 Posts
😁 😁 😁
Steener hosted the GreenBay ProBro for 3 years.
It was nice to have a ProBro only 2 hours away from me (y)(y)
It sure was a good time!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts