The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the better 30cc gassers? If I build a EEV2 I will probably go with gas. Haven’t had a gasser yet so I’m going to need some help.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
I’ve done quite a bit of research on this size engine while looking to power my fatties.
DLE still has a problem with clones.
As far as power they are as follows from what I’ve read and seen
Dle30
Dle35 / EME35
RCGF Stinger 35
DA35
GP38

I currently have a Gp38 and it’s certainly the most powerful in the class BUT something to consider is they do utilize a larger prop. They really rev high with a 20” prop. Most swing a 21-22”. They also done use a standard size or shape exhaust port on the cylinder so using a header is apparently not applicable. The prop drill/hub pattern is also not the same as dle or da 35’s. It’s actually the same as the dle55! So buying predrilled props from, say, VVRC won’t work. You’ll have to drill your props on your own. Also the new ignitions ARE high voltage. They say 6.6-8.4 BUT 6.6 doesn’t work well. They do require 7.4v so you’ll need a separate 7.4v lipo if you aren’t using a 7.4v capable rx and HV servos.
Had I known the above before buying my GP38 I’d have gone with a stinger 35 or DA35.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jake, When you say DLE has a problem with clones, does that mean you might get a clone if you order one?

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Don't forget OS GT33

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
Hey Jake, When you say DLE has a problem with clones, does that mean you might get a clone if you order one?
Yes. Even tower apparently sold clones. There are subtle differences like the font of “walbro” on the carb and the over all appearance is dull with lots of flashing left from the casting. Real DLEs are fairly shiney and don’t have casting marks left on them. They aren’t the same quality as real DLE and DLE isn’t known for quality to begin with.
the only way I’ve been told to guarantee you get a real dle is to buy from the dle US distributors, chief aircraft and horizon. Apparently mile highrc and valley view Aren’t dle distributors anymore. eBay is guaranteed to get you a clone. I know horizon bought tower to apparently now tower doesn’t have a problem with clones but they used to. Infact the last dle55 I had came from tower and turned out to be a clone. It ran like crap until I put a realwalbro carb on it and even then it didn’t make the rpm it should have. The last used dle I had was also a clone and it had similar issues.
ive had bad luck with all the rcgf engines I’ve had so I’ll never try another but I do want to give Stinger engines a try.
I have also had one VVRC engine and it was a paper weight. I won’t buy an engine from them again but I do get all my props from them.
That’s just my experiences and the lates info I gathered when looking for my latest engine.
if I buy another 30cc class engine again it’ll be da or a stinger.

Reactions: chips303

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Also the new ignitions ARE high voltage. They say 6.6-8.4 BUT 6.6 doesn’t work well. They do require 7.4v so you’ll need a separate 7.4v lipo if you aren’t using a 7.4v capable rx and HV servos.
I wonder if that's what's wrong with the DLE55 I recently got. The ignition says it's 6.6-12V. I'm running a LiFe pack and the engine wants to cut out occasionally, like the ignition is being turned off. Only lasts for a fraction of a second, but is pretty unnerving when you're in a low hover.....

Thinking maybe I should get a 2 cell lipo to run the ignition?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
So, I would probably go with GP38 for most power/reasonable cost, DA for very good power and good service, and would also like to try the new Stinger. All that said, I have an OS33, and on the stock, included pitts muffler, it is very quiet and still stronger than a DLE30, but not in same class as DA or GP. The stock pitts is VERY restrictive; I know this for 2 reasons: people tried putting it on DLE30's, as they share exhaust port dimensions, and it would KILL the power of a DLE30, so that alone is evidence of the OS being stronger, stock vs stock. Second reason is, my OS pitts cracked somewhere around 100+ flights on my 74" Edge, and before I had it re-welded, inspection showed a large round baffle with a smaller-than-exit size hole inside the barrel of the pitts. Anyway, OS is expensive, so unless you can get a deal on one, the GP would be my choice, followed by Stinger for cost, then DA for quality/power, and even a DLE35, cuz those have proven to be decent engines for a lot of guys.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
I wonder if that's what's wrong with the DLE55 I recently got. The ignition says it's 6.6-12V. I'm running a LiFe pack and the engine wants to cut out occasionally, like the ignition is being turned off. Only lasts for a fraction of a second, but is pretty unnerving when you're in a low hover.....

Thinking maybe I should get a 2 cell lipo to run the ignition?
Rcxell ignitions don’t take HV I don’t think. Maybe the brand new ones can handle it but they don’t require it. It should say on the side of the ignition. Maybe worth a shot but it could also burn up your ignition.
I’m no guru but that’s just what I know to be fact at the moment.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
WP,

The ignition is labeled as Rcxell, and says 6-12V. When I first got the 55, I stuck it in a plane that originallly had my DLE35 on it and since I was in a hurry I just used the 35 ignition with a lower voltage rating. The 55 ran perfect with it. Later I swapped to the higher voltage ignition that came with it and started getting the cut outs. No other changes in setup. That's why I was wondering if higher voltage might help.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have a VVRC 35. It's an RCGF with a Walbro carb and comes with an NGK spark plug instead of a knock off. You can also get a Bowman ring put in it for $10, or at least that was the case when I ordered it.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
You can never go wrong with a DA35, but the GP38 is also good. I had an OS33 and it ran great too, but if buying again the DA or GP.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Never had any trouble with DLE 20’s and 30’s’s. But that was years ago when they were fairly new, before the fakes showed up.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
30’s are so underpowered compared to 35’s.
I’ll say while my earlier statement on GP’s still stands, I will only buy GP from now on after the level of customer service I’ve been given after mine came with presumably a bad ignition. Joe called me personally and offered to immediately replace the whole engine or just send parts. I said I’d rather figure it out. We talked half the afternoon and trouble shot things on the phone. They helped but still had an issue so he just sent a new ignition and carb in the mail, no charge and no hesitation. He’s just north of Louisville KY, he said. He might even come fly with us when he’s down this way. Personal and professional service has sold me and THE most powerful engine in rc right now. I still don’t like their HV only ignitions and odd prop bolt pattern but I’ll buy GP because of Joe’s service.

·
Registered
156 Posts
30’s are so underpowered compared to 35’s.
I’ll say while my earlier statement on GP’s still stands, I will only buy GP from now on after the level of customer service I’ve been given after mine came with presumably a bad ignition. Joe called me personally and offered to immediately replace the whole engine or just send parts. I said I’d rather figure it out. We talked half the afternoon and trouble shot things on the phone. They helped but still had an issue so he just sent a new ignition and carb in the mail, no charge and no hesitation. He’s just north of Louisville KY, he said. He might even come fly with us when he’s down this way. Personal and professional service has sold me and THE most powerful engine in rc right now. I still don’t like their HV only ignitions and odd prop bolt pattern but I’ll buy GP because of Joe’s service.
What store or shop does Joe work at?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts