The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
buildflycrash said:
I mostly just lurk here because I'm not flying very much at all but talk about biking and you got me. I'm Signed up for the Leadville MTB 100. This is gonna hurt!
The main climb starts at 9,200 and up to 12,400 That is over 3,000 feet in 5 miles! The race is in Mid August but I'm starting to ramp up my Mileage already. I did my second full Ironman last year (12Hrs35min).
I've done a couple of centuries. I can't imagine doing that Leadville thing. That's a LOT of climbing....in dirt no less. To me, riding a trail on a mountain bike is twice the effort of riding the same distance on a road bike....especially when the ground is soft.

There is the Hilly Hundred here in Indiana. It is a road event, 50 miles on the first day, 50 on the second, over some of the hilliest roads in southern Indiana. I've never done it, but may this year, mostly because I can't find a buddy to do it with me. It's also pretty expensive, and a bit of a drive from my house. It might be fun with a buddy though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Statistics for 2016:

1. Outdoor miles ridden in 2016: 2165
2. No flat tires this year
3. Chased by only one dog this year
4. Number of "organized charity rides": 3
5. Maximum Speed for the year: 37mph
6. Average Speed for the year: 15.4mph
7. Longest Ride of the year: 67 miles
8. Average Ride length: 21.1 miles
9. No major bike maintenance required this year, but I did a LOT of preventative and such last year.
10. No crashes this year, but one near miss with my occasional riding buddy when we mis-communicated about a turn.
11. Participated in one "ghost bike" ride this year. That's a bit sobering.
12. Not much in the way of indoor miles this year. Less than 50 I believe.
13. Number of Pizza's I ate with Cappy: one

Overall, I was a little unhappy with my outdoor mileage for the year. I normally shoot for 2400 or 2500 miles for the season. But, the spring was very wet, and I lost nearly a month of weeks of riding this summer to due being out of town for work and vacation. I also tried to spend as much time as I could with my kids in the summer, as they are now both in college and I don't get to see them much during the school year. I've also only been on the bike outdoors about three times since thanksgiving.

One of the organized rides I participated in was the Hope Ride. It's my favorite ride of the year, normally. This year, it began to rain at about mile 7. So, I ended up riding the remaining 55 miles in everything from a light drizzle of a rain, to a full downpour that day. It was a little chilly that day due to the rain, and the ride being in early September. A bit of chaffing in the nether regions due to being soaking wet for the entire day. The worst part is scooting along at 17 or 18mph and not being able to see the road in front of you because of the rain and fog on my glasses.

I did make it down to the land of Cappy and Jag in the fall to ride the Great Pumpkin Metric. The weather was perfect that day.

In 2017, I plan to ride the famous Hilly Hundred. I believe it's the 50-year anniversary for this organized ride in southern Indiana. I've never done it, because it's a two-day event and consumes the entire weekend. But, as it's the 50th anniversary, maybe I'll do at least one day of it. I'll set a goal of 2500 miles in 2017. I'll install new shifter cables, brake pads, rear tire, and lube the head set bearings during the next few weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
Id call that a very successful season Bro. No crashes or major injuries and a repectable tally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,419 Posts
Still awesome at 2100+ Doug!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
JAG said:
You need to ride 3-state 3-mountain in Tennasee. That's a sweet ride.
My brother has done that ride, I believe. That's a lot of climbing. A Lot. Fat guys like me don't like to climb.

I'd rather try to tackle the 160 miles of Ride Across Indiana (in on day) or Ride Across Illinois...preferably with a tail wind the entire way.

One of my co-workers and his wife went to Florida last year. They shipped their bikes a couple of days ahead of time. They started in Key Largo, and rode all the way to Key West. They took their time, and enjoyed the view and the sights. It took them three days. That sounded like fun... but If I'm in Florida, I think i'd rather be underwater on scuba!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,170 Posts
Doug B said:
JAG said:
You need to ride 3-state 3-mountain in Tennasee. That's a sweet ride.
My brother has done that ride, I believe. That's a lot of climbing. A Lot. Fat guys like me don't like to climb.

I'd rather try to tackle the 160 miles of Ride Across Indiana (in on day) or Ride Across Illinois...preferably with a tail wind the entire way.

One of my co-workers and his wife went to Florida last year. They shipped their bikes a couple of days ahead of time. They started in Key Largo, and rode all the way to Key West. They took their time, and enjoyed the view and the sights. It took them three days. That sounded like fun... but If I'm in Florida, I think i'd rather be underwater on scuba!
Florida sounds fun. But itd be tough to pass up flying with WF, Hooks, Thom, sconnie and the rest instead of pedaling :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Doug B said:
JAG said:
You need to ride 3-state 3-mountain in Tennasee. That's a sweet ride.
My brother has done that ride, I believe. That's a lot of climbing. A Lot. Fat guys like me don't like to climb.

I'd rather try to tackle the 160 miles of Ride Across Indiana (in on day) or Ride Across Illinois...preferably with a tail wind the entire way.

One of my co-workers and his wife went to Florida last year. They shipped their bikes a couple of days ahead of time. They started in Key Largo, and rode all the way to Key West. They took their time, and enjoyed the view and the sights. It took them three days. That sounded like fun... but If I'm in Florida, I think i'd rather be underwater on scuba!
It wasn't too bad. It really was a great ride. I have heard ODRAM, one day ride across Michigan is a good one as well. I prefer a loop so I don't have to worry about getting back to the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
JAG said:
Doug B said:
JAG said:
You need to ride 3-state 3-mountain in Tennasee. That's a sweet ride.
My brother has done that ride, I believe. That's a lot of climbing. A Lot. Fat guys like me don't like to climb.

I'd rather try to tackle the 160 miles of Ride Across Indiana (in on day) or Ride Across Illinois...preferably with a tail wind the entire way.

One of my co-workers and his wife went to Florida last year. They shipped their bikes a couple of days ahead of time. They started in Key Largo, and rode all the way to Key West. They took their time, and enjoyed the view and the sights. It took them three days. That sounded like fun... but If I'm in Florida, I think i'd rather be underwater on scuba!
It wasn't too bad. It really was a great ride. I have heard ODRAM, one day ride across Michigan is a good one as well. I prefer a loop so I don't have to worry about getting back to the car.
Agreed. The logistics of the Ride Across Indiana, and having to get back to the starting line sorta of sucks. My dad and my brothers wife drove half way across the state, handing food and water out the window to my brother, like you see in the Tour. He and his team rode the entire event without stopping....and they are fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
..and now the 2017 installment.

This year was not good for riding, for me. I had a ton of stuff going on at work and worked a bunch of (unpaid) overtime and weekends. I missed two ProBro events that I wanted to attend, and my bike mileage suffered as well.

Data for this year....
- 1968 miles for the year, my lowest in many years
- no dogs chased me...yay
- several bike rides with my son this year, that was nice
- no flat tires this year, yay
- no crashes, yay

I spent a bit of time of today doing some bike maintenance. Cleaned everything. Installed new pedals, new brake pads, new chain, new brake cables and housings, new shift cables and housings. Inspected the cassette and chain rings, new grease in the headset, and will finish with new bar tape.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
You didn't better Than I did this year. But I need to ramp back up my riding this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
JAG said:
You didn't better Than I did this year. But I need to ramp back up my riding this year.
We could try to plan to do the Pumpkin Metric in Evansville in 2018. Weather permitting. 60 miles, good food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Doug B said:
JAG said:
You didn't better Than I did this year. But I need to ramp back up my riding this year.
We could try to plan to do the Pumpkin Metric in Evansville in 2018. Weather permitting. 60 miles, good food.
Yeah that is a good ride. Need to check the date when they release it. I think it will be the weekend of NashBro.

But I am looking at doing a 100mile ride sometime. May head down and do the 3-state 3-mountain again. Need to work towards a goal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Well they cancelled the 3-state ride for 2018 from lack of interest. That seems hard to believe. When I rode it a few years back I think there was over a 1000 at the start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
JAG said:
Well they cancelled the 3-state ride for 2018 from lack of interest. That seems hard to believe. When I rode it a few years back I think there was over a 1000 at the start.
The Hope Ride in the town of Hope Indiana has a great 100 mile course. I've done it a couple times. Usually great weather for this ride and the food is great. This ride is ..normally a week or two before Nash. The Hope Ride is my favorite ride of the year. I normally only do 50 or 62 miles.

There is enough climbing to keep it interesting, but no mountains, that's for certain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Doug B said:
JAG said:
Well they cancelled the 3-state ride for 2018 from lack of interest. That seems hard to believe. When I rode it a few years back I think there was over a 1000 at the start.
The Hope Ride in the town of Hope Indiana has a great 100 mile course. I've done it a couple times. Usually great weather for this ride and the food is great. This ride is ..normally a week or two before Nash. The Hope Ride is my favorite ride of the year. I normally only do 50 or 62 miles.

There is enough climbing to keep it interesting, but no mountains, that's for certain.
I'll see if I can find some info on that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
JAG said:
Doug B said:
JAG said:
Well they cancelled the 3-state ride for 2018 from lack of interest. That seems hard to believe. When I rode it a few years back I think there was over a 1000 at the start.
The Hope Ride in the town of Hope Indiana has a great 100 mile course. I've done it a couple times. Usually great weather for this ride and the food is great. This ride is ..normally a week or two before Nash. The Hope Ride is my favorite ride of the year. I normally only do 50 or 62 miles.

There is enough climbing to keep it interesting, but no mountains, that's for certain.
I'll see if I can find some info on that one.
Www.hoperide.org

It is the Saturday before Nash 2018
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
The 2018 installment:

This year, on the bicycle....
1. 1768 miles ridden outdoors
2. 630 miles ridden indoors on Zwift http://www.zwift.com (for those that are interested)
and a small number of rides on my mountain bike that are unaccounted for on my computer.

So, that's a total of 2400 miles for the year. Average speed for the entire (outdoor) mileage, 15.8 mph. Not bad, all things considered. My outdoor season was bleak this year. Bad weather, too much going on at work, and a lot of travel this spring was keeping me off the bike. But I've managed to keep my mileage up during the last couple of months riding indoors.

Longest ride of the season was 55 miles. Average ride was 24 miles.

3. No flat tires. yay.
4. Not chased by any dogs this year. yay.

5. One broken strand on my forward derailleur (shifter) making shifts into the big ring a bit difficult, otherwise, no major mechanical failures. I'll do some repairs and maintenance on the bike in February. The bike is now ten years old, about 20 thousand miles on it. I put an average of $75 worth of parts and maintenance into it every year.

6. Only three people to either flip me the bird or yell at me from their car window this year. One was rather comical. I normally just give them a nice friendly wave back in return. They are driving a 3000 pound weapon. I'm on a 17 pound bicycle, wearing a skin tight outfit that makes me look like a clown. Some people are very impatient drivers, however. They'll cross a double yellow on a blind curve or blind hill to pass me, only to save seven seconds of time on their drive.

7. Only two charity rides this year, and a small number of informal "meetup" rides.

Side note, http://www.meetup.com , is a pretty cool website. I've been on it for about four years now. It's a website that helps people with similar hobbies that live in a particular area meetup and enjoy their hobby together. Virtually any hobby. If you like programming computers while drinking exotic coffee - there is likely a meetup group for that. I'm in two local bicycle meetup groups and a scuba group. it's fun.

I'm signed up for a Gran Fondo (a race) in Chattanooga in early May 2019. We cross into three states, climb 5500 feet, and ride 80 miles. I won't actually be racing... I'll just be trying to keep ahead of the sweeper truck. The 80 miles doesn't seem to bad, nor does the 5500 feet of climbing. But, put them together.... yikes. I'll be doing this event with my Brother, so that should be fun. He is much faster than me, so I'll draft off of him a lot.

I'm also looking to sign up for the "Hell of the West" event this year (September?) in Grand Junction, Colorado. For those of you who might remember, there was a bicycle themed movie in the early 1980's called, "American Flyer". Kevin Costner starred. Two Brothers travel out west to do some bike racing in the movie. The Hell of the West event rides on some of the same roads that were used during the movie. I'm waiting to see if this event will interfere with NashBro or not. The dates haven't been set yet.

That's enough rambling...
 
81 - 100 of 138 Posts
Top