The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a non-aircraft related personal note, I wanted to share an accomplishment that I was proud to achieve a few days ago.

I used to ride a bicycle a LOT in high school. In the summer months, even while working 40 hours a week, I was riding in excess of 150 miles per week. College, a family, and life in general got me off the bike for a long time.

Seven years ago, I got interested in biking again. Five years ago, I upgraded to a new road bike. I was averaging about 2000 miles per year on the bike, trying to lose weight, get healthier, and feel better. And it's worked.

This year, I set a goal of 2500 miles before the snow and ice cover the roads, and I did it.

The statistics:
1. First outdoor ride on the roads in 2013 was in late January, when we had a tiny warm spell in the 40s for a day or two.
2. I hit 2503 miles on the odometer this past Sunday.
3. I averaged about 85 miles per week
4. Approx 2100 of the miles were me, riding alone.
5. Average ride length was 19 miles.
6. Average speed, for all 2500 miles, was 15.7mph
7. Maximum speed during the year was 39mph
8. Longest single ride was 52 miles
9. Got rained on about six times
10. Two flat tires
11. Wore out one rear tire at about 2000 miles
12. One crash, at four miles per hour, on wet pavement, tire got caught in a small rut while I was turning
13. Chased by a half dozen dogs this year, no dog bites.
14. Was able to shorten my belt by two holes
15. No change in weight, but my pants are a lot looser than in previous years
16. Changed out the front brake pads at about 1500 miles
17. 40 miles were ridden with another Bro, Thumbskull. :rockoncool:
18. Cleaned and oiled the drive train approx every 150 miles. An oiled chain is a quiet chain.

...and I'm still not done for the year. Maybe I can hit 2700 or 2800 miles before the snow flies.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
WTG Doug. Nice accomplishment. I used to Road Race up till a few years ago. Got so tired of having to ride everyday to stay in race shape I just parked it. Every now and then I think about riding for fun. Hearing things like your post make me want to get out and ride a bit :tu:

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
:tu:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

For the first couple of years after I got back on the bike, I was pushing myself very hard. It was all about trying to go faster. But, after three years, I was burnned out.
So, I made a conscience decision to just ride for the enjoyment about two years ago. I got out of the drops, and up on the hoods, and actually enjoyed the scenery. I like it much more now.

Oh, one other statistic... Averaged about 1200 feet of climbing per ride. The roads south of my house are full of rolling hills and a few killer hills. Southern indiana, a little farther south than my house, has been the home of the famous Hilly Hundred Ride for about 35 years.

·
Registered
19,934 Posts
That's awesome!

We need pix of the slab rack you have on the back so you can stop by a pretty field as you pass by and fly for a moment.
....you DO have a slab rack...right? :roll:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Very cool :tu:

I have been keeping track of my hikes the last few years. It is interesting to look back at the overall accomplishments.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congratulations. I used to do triathlons. Now I ride the trainer in the garage, and mountain bike. I do not like to ride in the streets.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nice job Doug.

Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear the positive stories in other people's lives. Our society is too inundated with the negative.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
great job, the wife and I do a lot of biking in the summer, its lots of fun.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Way to go Doug, that's quite an accomplishment, and inspirational. Like PapaTrey says we hear enough of the negative.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You da Man :!: ... :rockon:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
:tu: :drink:

·
Registered
518 Posts
PapaTrey3 said:
Nice job Doug.

Thanks for sharing. It is great to hear the positive stories in other people's lives. Our society is too inundated with the negative.
+1 on what PapaTrey3 said!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Awesome Bro..
Riding is good for you. I do it for health reasons(diabetes). 60 to 80 miles a week usually.On a recumbent.I ride recumbent for the same reason I fly slabs, I like it different..
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The weather turned sour early in November here in the Indianapolis area. Snow, ice, and biking don't mix in my book. But, although it's cold, it's been dry lately. Just turned 2700 miles today. :rockoncool:

1 - 20 of 138 Posts