The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Tubing Size for fuselage

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  gus 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm building a Mojo clone and need some advice on tubing sizes. I think the main tube for the fuselage is 1/2 inch or 12mm. I can get 12X10 i.d or 12/11 mm i.d. The 12/11 would be lighter but is the wall thickness too thin for "crashability"?

Also want to make a removable wing. The size of the tube should be ? I'm thinking the same 12mm diameter.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

John in Prescott, AZ

#3 ·
Get fiberglass filament wound epoxy tube not carbon. Carbon is shit for slabs. You also didn't say which size Mojo.
Don't do removable wing on a 40 size. It's not worth the weight.

#7 ·
sparkplug said:
were is best place to buy fiberglass tubing,looks like im goimg to scrateh build mojo 65,kit be better,but not to be found.
Goodwinds Kite supplies is my favorite place.
They have given me great service.

I agree highly with the above posters on removable wings. If by any means you can transport the plane together, then make it 1 piece.

I've got some amazing 2 piece wing birds from other Bro's and have glued the wings on permanently - much more solid!

#8 ·
found goodwinds last night,does look like the place to buy tube.thanks for heading me to fiberglass tubes guys,i was looking at carbon ,strong, but no flex.besides moving,1 piece wing pain to work on,not to bad for 40s.but understand weight gain.do you think bigger tube in wing would help in flex,perhapes smaller 2nd tube in back,maybe 3/8 on 60 planes.

#9 ·
i use 12 mm carbon from hk. removeable wings suck, better to have a removeable tail like the 91 lamyak. weight gain from compromizing highest stress joint in an airframe is dumb. 4 oz. gain, easy.

lighter is better. i regularly make 2-1/2-2-3/4 lb. airframes. less weight, break less. at 2.5 lb. an fp-40 0r 35-42 1200 3s setup works fine. but do what you want, you'll come to the same conclusion eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.