The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Latest source for good lipo batts

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  MikeMcChiken 
#1 ·
Reviving my flying and néed a good source for batts, 5s 5000 and down.

#2 ·
Oh wow.. I think you're going to get a lot of opinions on this..
I'm having great luck with Glaciers.. I've yet to try Graphene, but I will eventually.
I have a 39" foamy that I just got done with and bought Flurolon since they had the size I wanted at a great weight. I know it is an off brand so I only bought 2 of them, but they are working out fine.

#3 ·
So true!

Value Hobby Elites had been great and can stand the kind of abuse I subject them to.
I got some Glaciers a month ago from buddyrc just to try, so we'll see. I didn't like the fact that if you order less than $100 they only offer you an "expensive" shipping option. If you go above $100 and free shipping, they ship them USPS... :evil:

#5 ·
Thanks, I was looking for suppliers but brand input is good too. I need to order 4 5s 5000 for 10 s set up, some 4 s 3000, 3s 2200 to replace the ones that no longer work. Haven't really flown much except small 3s stuff. Kind of late in the season but my business has taken a big turn up and I finally have some time to get back to flying models.

#6 ·
I was on their site earlier and was going to order 5s 5k graphines, once in the shopping cart I couldn't access them, their chat guys said I needed to try a different computer so I went from my I pad to , Mac book to 2 different Windows computers and all worked fine on the site until I would try to click on the shopping cart. Think I'll just go with value hobby for now. Bought quite a bit from them in the past and have been very happy.

#12 ·
ThumbSkull said:
Im kinda anxious to try the graphenes. I have always bought G force from Value hobby. many have lasted me 4-5 years. never had a problem with them but as Hooks pointed out, simply working and lasting isn't the whole story. I have a new 35cc size EF laser to test with new G force batts I already purchased, I will have to order some Graphenes and compare.

#14 ·
One thing about graphene if you do a lot of wot , don't be surprised if your flight time is less then you were used to with inferiour bats,. That's because they are releasing more energy even in a deep discharges state which shortens time.

Some ppl confuse this with a battery that is wore out an slumps.

I don't use graphene in every thing due to cost an weight, but if needed theybdobthe job.

I run a 1800 5s packnin my efracer, it holds 70+ amps no saggage, very impressive an doesn't warm up much at all

#16 ·
I've been happy with the ValueHobby Elites in 40C; tried some 30c and not so much...also been pretty happy with the 45C Glaciers for weight/price/performance.

I've been following the thread Dan referenced above, and the guy doing most of the testing seems to really like the HK Graphenes. He seems to believe the ChinaHobbyLine batts are same chemistry as HK Graphenes, just in a lighter, cheaper shrink wrap. As soon as I can recover from buying a couple planes recently, I'm gonna try a couple of the CNHL 6S 5000's in a 120" Bushmaster :)

#18 ·
The battery load test comparison was very informative. I was trying to order some 5s 5000 graphenes from HK but after I got them in my cart the cart icon was useless. I'm ordering some from value hobby now because I need some fairly quickley and I'm not wasting time with a web site that doesn't work properly. Going through my 2s-4s to see what's still useable.

#19 ·
I've used graphens but dont shop labels, I only shop weight so using graphenes of the same weight as its counterpart I also find cooler temps at shorter flight time, I will buy them on sales, versus at a premium cost,

Revlectrix out of singapore has some bargain sales pricing at times.

#20 ·
c/f said:
I've used graphens but dont shop labels, I only shop weight so using graphenes of the same weight as its counterpart I also find cooler temps at shorter flight time, I will buy them on sales, versus at a premium cost,

Revo is the only one of the graphene offerings that seem to be hit or miss, so be careful. And I got bit on their advertised weight before, was way off from reality.

An sales are only way to buy bats, if I see a size I use on sale I try to get it, they last a long time if you never hit them with that first cycle. But I save a tremendous amount by doing this

#21 ·
dhooks said:
c/f said:

Revo is the only one of the graphene offerings that seem to be hit or miss, so be careful. And I got bit on their advertised weight before, was way off from reality.

An sales are only way to buy bats, if I see a size I use on sale I try to get it, they last a long time if you never hit them with that first cycle. But I save a tremendous amount by doing this
What do you mean if you don't hit them with first cycle?
I've been noticing some times my batteries last and sometimes go to junk very fast but I over may have over discharged them.
When I raced off-road using NiCads and NiMh matched packs we used special discharge devices.
Tail lights in series for load and when a certain voltage hit it shut off and that kept high discharge memory intact but LiPo I don't know how to discharge and store.Many different theories.

#22 ·
What I generally see is bargain lipos will have voltages per cell that are not all the same, I'm anal to the third decimal place.
So for the first half dozen charge/discharge cycles I will fly with mixed throttle settings and around 50% of amapacity usage.
I refer this as a breakin BEST PRACTICE. You will see that the per cell volts tend to get closer to each other wether charging or discharged resting volts with this practice. Thats all

High dollar packs dont guarantee you can crush them with discharges near 3V per cell. Timers and volt alarms are dicey based on flying style repeatability. I have convinced myself that using an ESC with Capacity warning is the ticket. I am using Graupner radios with Graupner ESC +T.

#24 ·
3dfoamyfan said:
dhooks said:
c/f said:

What do you mean if you don't hit them with first cycle?
I've been noticing some times my batteries last and sometimes go to junk very fast but I over may have over discharged them.
When I raced off-road using NiCads and NiMh matched packs we used special discharge devices.
Tail lights in series for load and when a certain voltage hit it shut off and that kept high discharge memory intact but LiPo I don't know how to discharge and store.Many different theories.
It's been a while since I read up on the details but in short, once you start the charge /discharge cycles it starts a clock ticking .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.