The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Retro Transmitter to 2.4

17K views 87 replies 26 participants last post by  McDDD 
#1 ·
#28 ·
#31 ·
My dad has some old Tx's that look similar. I have thought for a while now about buying a Orange DSM Tx, gutting it and putting it's guts into one of the old cases. Obviously I've not tried it, but I just think it would be cool to fly with not only a really old Tx, but also one that once belonged to my dad.

I realize it wouldn't be a drop in fit kind of thing, but the orange 6 channel TX can be had pretty cheap.

#32 ·
capthis said:
My dad has some old Tx's that look similar. I have thought for a while now about buying a Orange DSM Tx, gutting it and putting it's guts into one of the old cases. Obviously I've not tried it, but I just think it would be cool to fly with not only a really old Tx, but also one that once belonged to my dad.

I realize it wouldn't be a drop in fit kind of thing, but the orange 6 channel TX can be had pretty cheap.
Don't be a cheap ass and get yourself a JR C.O.L.T. :rockon:

#33 ·
gus said:
capthis said:

Don't be a cheap ass and get yourself a JR C.O.L.T. :rockon:
But I am a cheap ass? But I'm not a cheap piece of ass....

#34 ·
capthis said:

It's funny you mention putting a modern radio in an old case.
I just happen to have a DX6i, a retro style enclosure and some blue paint for my next project.
A retro style transmitter I can actually fly all my shit with.

#36 ·
johnnashville said:
An old Kraft Gold Metal Series converted to 2.4 with a Ardonio nano and a frsky 2.4 diy board. It's up and running. it has 6 channels, duel rate switch, throttle cut switch, mode switch, model select button, bind button, usb port, volt meter, 2s lipo power. Programing through the usb port for expo, servo revers, mixes and all that
That's way cool!

#37 ·
There's a guy out of Korea that I've been doing some testing aka guinea pig, that's designed a universal board that will use ersky or opentx, I have 3 of his boards designed for the 9x drop in replacement. It's just incredible what he has done. And Mike blandford aka Mr ersky has been doing large amounts of coding to integrate everything and maximize the boards capability.

#38 ·
Stuffed the old Kraft into the Mad Yak and put 3 flights on it this Saturday. The spring tension on the old gimbals needs some work but it flew surprisingly good. Programming it was not bad. I hade to lug a laptop to the field but the set up only too a few minutes.

#39 ·
johnnashville said:
Stuffed the old Kraft into the Mad Yak and put 3 flights on it this Saturday. The spring tension on the old gimbals needs some work but it flew surprisingly good. Programming it was not bad. I hade to lug a laptop to the field but the set up only too a few minutes.

Need the pick of you and the laptop at the field :mrgreen:

Nice job, I have no clue what is inside a transmitter, other than a battery. It either works or it doesnt.

To put that together is pretty cool. Looks like a fun project. And it works :drink: :drink:

#41 ·
The GD-19 looks great!

I found a GD-19 on RC Groups, but the guy wants $50 shipped for it, so I passed. I was hoping to find one for about $30 shipped. Is that realistic? Or are these old antiques really worth $50?

#43 ·
McDDD said:
The GD-19 looks great!

I found a GD-19 on RC Groups, but the guy wants $50 shipped for it, so I passed. I was hoping to find one for about $30 shipped. Is that realistic? Or are these old antiques really worth $50?
I would jump on it. I haven't seen one for sale in a long time, over a year

#48 ·
Since I'd probably only use the conversion as a novelty transmitter for foamies, I was thinking about using the electronic guts from a DX6i, or maybe an old DX7. A DX5e might be more appropriate since it only has one model memory, and the reversing switches and dual rates would move the old Heathkit up into the Kraft Signature Series class of that era. :goldcup:

#50 ·
years ago, I bought 3 junk boxes for 15 bucks at the (I think?) joe bayer swap meet...electrician co., c/f was there, I remember, had a barnstormer ulti, I think.

anyhow, there was a red ek logictrol setup in there, wish I still had it! was also a 3 line ureely c/l handle and some jetex stuff!

that's really the only reason I wanna go to perry, the old junk boxes.

#51 ·
Wild Fred said:
years ago, I bought 3 junk boxes for 15 bucks at the (I think?) joe bayer swap meet...electrician co., c/f was there, I remember, had a barnstormer ulti, I think.

anyhow, there was a red ek logictrol setup in there, wish I still had it! was also a 3 line ureely c/l handle and some jetex stuff!

that's really the only reason I wanna go to perry, the old junk boxes.
I go to the Joe Bayer Swap meet every year! :) Joe flies at our club and that is a good swap meet.

CF.... :) what can you say! lol

I have a barnstormer all framed up and you'll never believe this but I need to finish it! :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.