First Time Profile Builder

The profiles that we fly.

First Time Profile Builder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello,

My name is Jon and I am from the UK. I have a love of building balsa / foam planes and I have always liked the profile 3D planes. They are not so popular over here and certainly no plans / CNC files available. Could anyone recommend a first profile plane to build. Preferably from plans that I can draw up in CAD to be cut out or open source plans / files where I could cut my own plane out as shipping costs, plus import duty, works out very costly for kits?

This is my perfect plane, any details on this one would be great! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-SyIRFhX8I
reptilemarine
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: First Time Profile Builder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi Jon, welcome to the ProBro site and the Bro's :tu:

We really need to know what size you are looking for. Do you want an OS 160 size bird like the extra extra in the video you liked?

The extra extra was designed by Bro "HazzBro". If that is the profile you want you can ask him for plans:
You can send him a private message on our site. Here is a link to his page:
https://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1635

Honestly, you've come to the profile 3D scene at a great time. Our fantastic designers have given us some phenomenal flying planes. My personal favorites were designed by TriFlyer3D. The Stix series he designed is amazing. He has a 46 inch one that is a popular size. The picture below is of mine and Bro Ozzy's stix 46 planes built by Jeide in Colorado. If you PM TriFlyer3D he also may hook you up with plans. His Chimera and GBR planes are also incredible flying planes!

Bro Wild Fred designed the LamYak profile planes that also fly awesome.
Attachments
My Stix 46 and Ozzy Tims.jpg
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:29 am

Thanks for the info, it’s all a steep learning curve, having never really come across profile 3D planes in the UK. I don't mind the power source, I fly solely electric at the moment however looking at some of the gas planes they look a lot of fun so up to DLE20 size. Just looking for a stable flier, removable wings with tried and tested build sequence, which the ones I have seen so far all have. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around fat wings, lam wings etc and learn as much as I can.
reptilemarine
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 am

If you want 20cc see if Wrongwayrc.com or HazzBro will ship you an EE60. The EE in your video is the 30cc size EEV2.
If you want stable electric see if DougG will ship you one of his 46” Slicks or 35” MXS kits.

Or scratch build a lamyak from wildfred plans of any size you want.

Most everything else is unobtainable right now. The most popular designs only have a batch ran once a year.

If you don’t care to scratch build then search for the mojo60 for 20cc or the mojo40 for nitro or electric
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:55 am

Here's my two cents........or .017822 euros

First, welcome to the Probro site! If you have read through enough material on here yet, you've already figured out that the guys on here have lots of experience with 3D profiles, and tend to give their honest opinions......and very often they are brutally honest opinions. However that's one of the best parts of the Probro site. Marketing hype and BS don't work over here.

First get an EPP foamie to learn to fly 3D. They are nearly indestructible, and there is no emotional attachment to slow down the learning process.

Next, get an RC simulator that is pretty good at simulating 3D flight. None of them really feel like 3D'ing a real plane, but they are still helpful to learn the basic muscle memory and eye to hand coordination. Real Flight does a reasonably good job.

Once you become proficient with harriers and hovers with the foamie and the simulator, it will be time to move up to the next step, which will be a balsa/ply Probro approved plane.
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:07 am

Great advice ^^^

And I’ll add you can’t reakky go wrong with any probro approved profile. And stay away from ARFs. There aren’t any currently on the market that are bro approved.

Check out profilekits.com for some of the bro approved list.
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:05 am

Thank you all for your advice. I have realflight sim so will get practicing with that and look at building an epp foamie while slowly building a bro approved profile.
reptilemarine
Pro Bro

Return to Slabs