EVO edge V1.5 - judging interest

EVO edge V1.5 - judging interest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:21 pm

I've had a bunch of people asking me about the EVO edges lately so I've been doing some thinking.

The next version of the edge has has been intended by me to have a removable wing option and an all balsa fuse along the lines of the EVO cap.

Here's where the problem is - I don't have much time any more to design and build these days and what time I do have I give to my new designs. The CAD files for the edge have to be completely gone over since they are currently set up for the foam fuse design that requires custom foam cut by me and that is hard to build.

So... it goes against the grain but here's what I'm thinking. The original mad edge with the stick and tube style fuse worked and I have the cad files for it. I also have the new files for the EVO style wing that worked out fine. If I combine the two I can do a run of edges with old style fuses and new style wings. They'll sacrifice some fuse rigidity which will impact rolling and snapping maneuvers somewhat but it will make kits available to those who want them. They'll also have the bonus of being quick to build. I will use the new carbon tubes instead of fiberglass so that may gain back some rigidity over the original mad edge.

So, with all of that in mind, who would buy a short or regular kit of this version of the edge? One bonus of going with the simpler design is saving money on material and cutting. I'm thinking that short kits would be $100ish and full kits probably $120-130ish.

Pipe up now if you want one. If I get enough noise here I'll put up a formal order thread and start taking money from people but I'd like to see somewhere close to 10 kits worth of interest.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: EVO edge V1.5 - judging interest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Oh yeah, please mark if you would accept a short kit or if a full kit is a must. I'd really prefer to stick with short kits for this run as I don't really have the room to sort wood like I used to.

Alternately some kind soul could take it on themselves to provide wood kits, maybe for a few bucks of profit. Someone could make a bit by buying all the wood from national and then subdividing it and still save all the other bros over what they would spend to buy just one kits worth with shipping.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm down for 2 full kits for sure
Damon75
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Why can't the foam parts just be cut out of balsa? Like the EVO Cap....
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Motowncali wrote:Why can't the foam parts just be cut out of balsa? Like the EVO Cap....

Yeah, what Mo asked...
And I'll likely be down for 4, counting Mo's.

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:13 am

CanCanCase wrote:
Motowncali wrote:Why can't the foam parts just be cut out of balsa? Like the EVO Cap....

Yeah, what Mo asked...

- Case

How you gonna afford the yatch if you keep buying all these kits?
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 am

Make it big enough for a 20cc engine
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 am

CanCanCase wrote:

Yeah, what Mo asked...

- Case

Just to clarify, Case and I want EvoEdges. I really love the stiff fuse of my EvoCap...

Mo
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:46 am

Mchone, Jake wrote:Make it big enough for a 20cc engine

20cc Evo would be crazy.... 5/8 tube with the side plates would be 3/4" thick with a 60" span. That would be removable wing design.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:00 am

V2 Parts were designed to be cut out of custom hotwired 1/2" foam that I made myself. That means that they were custom sized to fit a sheet far larger than anything that you can get in balsa. Foam is also lighter and weaker than balsa so the same cut in balsa would be quite heavy. Trust me on this, the switch from foam to balsa is waaaaaay more than just a quick materials change. It took many hours in CAD tweaking the caps around from V2 (foam/balsa) to V3 (all balsa).

I don't like "downgrading" from the V3 EVO fuse to the old mad style fuse either but its either that or no one is going to get any edge from my plans for quite a while.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 am

Mchone, Jake wrote:Make it big enough for a 20cc engine

Not happening. I don't like 20cc gas and don't want an electric that size so I doubt I'll ever get to it. See above about limited design time.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:08 am

If we can keep the "make it bigger", "make it smaller", "design a yak", "can I have fries with that" talk to a minimum in here I'd appreciate it. I already have far more ideas than I have hours to design and build them and I know the order they are going to get attention. I'm just trying to find a way to help out those guys who have been patiently waiting for edges for well over a year now. Its not the perfect way but the best I've found - IF I can find enough interest to make it happen... hence this thread.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:52 am

Would you be willing to sell just the plans/rib drawings?

I could scracth build a conventional balsa/glass tube fuse and keep it all close to the stock weight, maybe not as stiff but definitely more dorkable to show Damon easy it actually is to do.
libido_knievel wrote:I've done a lot of shit. And lost a lot of brain cells in the process but NEVER have I been so fucking high to be able to read what you post, Eagle. That fucking trip your on must be fucking awesome!
Goofy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:21 am

Is there a Photo of this New Design ?
I may be interested.
SF
I'VE LEARNED THAT PLEASING EVERYONE IS IMPOSSIBLE
BUT PISSING EVERYONE OFF IS A PIECE OF CAKE !
Warped Wing R/C
StinkFinger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:17 am

Damon and dorkable goes together good!!
Damon75
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 am

Goofy wrote:Would you be willing to sell just the plans/rib drawings?

I could scracth build a conventional balsa/glass tube fuse and keep it all close to the stock weight, maybe not as stiff but definitely more dorkable to show Damon easy it actually is to do.

That's what I'm judging interest on right now. The plans and files for a "conventional" fuse exist already. Its the EVO fuse that isn't done. No need for rib kits or anything.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 am

StinkFinger wrote:Is there a Photo of this New Design ?
I may be interested.
SF

No photo. Will look identical to the EVO edge. See earlier threads in this forum for pics.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 am

iBang wrote:If we can keep the "make it bigger", "make it smaller", "design a yak", "can I have fries with that" talk to a minimum in here I'd appreciate it. I already have far more ideas than I have hours to design and build them and I know the order they are going to get attention. I'm just trying to find a way to help out those guys who have been patiently waiting for edges for well over a year now. Its not the perfect way but the best I've found - IF I can find enough interest to make it happen... hence this thread.

Then why ask what we want? Short kit some edges for those that have been waiting.
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Mchone, Jake wrote:
iBang wrote:If we can keep the "make it bigger", "make it smaller", "design a yak", "can I have fries with that" talk to a minimum in here I'd appreciate it. I already have far more ideas than I have hours to design and build them and I know the order they are going to get attention. I'm just trying to find a way to help out those guys who have been patiently waiting for edges for well over a year now. Its not the perfect way but the best I've found - IF I can find enough interest to make it happen... hence this thread.

Then why ask what we want? Short kit some edges for those that have been waiting.

Did you read the first post? He explained he had no time to completely redo the Edge but would bash some designs he already had together if there was some interest. Where did he ask what people want (other than short or full kits)?
"Being inconsiderate and scaring CJ's since Independence Day 2007"
WrongWayRC ". . . I went back to the wood . . . "
Mchone, Jake "I wussed out this year. I was too twitterpated . . . "
chumley
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Well this went down hill quickly
Attachments
moment-before-disaster-151.jpg
Hi my name is DorkitDan, may I fly your plane please ;)
dhooks
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Texas Hobbies