Back at it (REVO series thread)

Re: Back at it (REVO series thread)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:21 pm

iBang wrote:
Goofy wrote:
iBang wrote:No illusion. The EVO's had stabs out of line but not by nearly as much. Some of the design elements of the EVO fuse that will carry over to this new bird allow me to step the wing and stab out a little bit from the tube without a reduction in strength.

What about coupling?

I've never noticed much of an issue on other planes I have flown with out of line wing/stab arrangements so I'm not worrying about it.

I find it interesting no one has commented on the horizontal stab yet 8)

Foiled :tu:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I completely missed that it is a flying stab. Very nice.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Looks like a hinge line on my phone screen lol.
RIP Duke, Daddy loves you ALWAYS!
Thumbskull "Wulfie is the Liberace of ProBro's". RIP John, you are missed Brother.
Mchone Jake. "My gym teacher touched me! I didn't mind it"!
Evan Shadix. "wish apc had a trade in program"!
rcaircraftnut
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:03 pm

iBang wrote:
Goofy wrote:
iBang wrote:No illusion. The EVO's had stabs out of line but not by nearly as much. Some of the design elements of the EVO fuse that will carry over to this new bird allow me to step the wing and stab out a little bit from the tube without a reduction in strength.

What about coupling?

I've never noticed much of an issue on other planes I have flown with out of line wing/stab arrangements so I'm not worrying about it.

Have you ever messed with flying stabs? I ask because on the combat planes I used to make (modded public design)out of mostly parts from lowes, the flying stab was very fickle. It takes much less area to be extremely effective, and too much it becomes a serious tip stalling muthafuka. I think it was something like 22% before the pivot point or someshit, been a long time since I built one. You also need Hella solid swervos, if there is any slop whatsoever in the gear train that tail will be hunting constantly.....the whole tail moves and there is no stab to act as a buffer.
libido_knievel wrote:I've done a lot of shit. And lost a lot of brain cells in the process but NEVER have I been so fucking high to be able to read what you post, Eagle. That fucking trip your on must be fucking awesome!
Goofy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:17 pm

what are you guys talking about? I see an airfoiled horizontal stab and separate elevator (nice)....but not a flying stab. Has terminology all the sudden changed?
slabs....
A.D.3D
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:19 pm

and no stinkin counterbalances!!!!! :rockon:
slabs....
A.D.3D
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:22 pm

looks like a regular stab with no counterbalances. as long as the hinge line allows > 45 degrees should be alot of fun.
Hangar Queen Brewing
allen
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Goofy wrote:
iBang wrote:
Goofy wrote:

What about coupling?

Have you ever messed with flying stabs? I ask because on the combat planes I used to make (modded public design)out of mostly parts from lowes, the flying stab was very fickle. It takes much less area to be extremely effective, and too much it becomes a serious tip stalling muthafuka. I think it was something like 22% before the pivot point or someshit, been a long time since I built one. You also need Hella solid swervos, if there is any slop whatsoever in the gear train that tail will be hunting constantly.....the whole tail moves and there is no stab to act as a buffer.

Yes, and they are a pain in the rectum. Tried them on Competition Fun Fly toys.You think ripping off counter balances is bad, you end up replacing the whole horizontal after it catches the ground.
Still have one of these left I might use some day.
Attachments
2014_08228-22-140001.JPG
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill
menaceflyer
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Goofy wrote:
"You Just Went Full CJ

:rofl:
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

Re: Back at it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 pm

joebob wrote:Without front sheeting or sub spars, won't it be hard to apply the covering? Seems like it would sag into the bays quite a bit.

It will just like the Skeeters. They flew fine. They also used the interlocking self jigging shear web. It keeps it light but rigid..but as other have said, the covering takes up most of the twisting load, which is fine for a nice uber light bird. They break when they dork, but they are easy to repair because there is so few pieces to puzzle back together. And the covering usually keeps them all together for some thin wickin.
It takes a special kind of stupid to believe Criminals will follow Gun Laws or Drone laws...
All my Drones are electric except one that is 55cc Gas.
Prowler: "Have JED will travel"
RMM
ProBro #2837
Zamfir
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm

There's some bracing in place in addition to the skeeter style rib/sheer web setup since its a larger plane so it will be stiffer and not rely on covering so much for rigidity, but it will cover the same way.

As for the stab - it is airfoiled, but not all flying. Standard hinge line. Removable too I might add so this will be a suitcase-capable slab. I've flown all flying tails, no thanks. I don't care for how they perform.

And yes AD, no counterbalances. This one will be based on a One Design and they didn't have them from the factory so I don't feel the need to add them.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 am

This is still going. I've had a couple of weeks of working evenings that has killed productivity but I'm finally back at it. I decided to make the jump from working in rhino 3D for the wing and stab to devwingcad. Its just a bit easier. I'll still be doing some tweaks with the final files in rhino and the fuse will be designed in there but this does save some time. I pretty much duplicated my entire work with the wing which took weeks in a matter of hours. Admittedly I had the measurements from what I've already designed to help me out but still.

Still shooting to have this done for nash.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:32 am

iBang wrote:I pretty much duplicated my entire work with the wing which took weeks in a matter of hours. Admittedly I had the measurements from what I've already designed to help me out but still.

That's how it starts. So far I've got 11 projects in mine. I'm taking a serious look into just leasing a laser cutter. With an Epilog Z24 I can cut out all of those in a week.

One issue that was caught recently. On the build tab thread, make sure you set the drop down to parallel to the table. It's not the default setting, and without it you get correctly placed tabs that are the wrong length.
Hangar Queen Brewing
allen
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Well if you end up with a laser let me know. I'll pay you to do my cutting since you're local.

Of course I could also just finish off my own CNC router that has been collecting dust for half a year...
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:07 pm

get a CNC router instead of the laser cutter. I hate having to sand the charred edges off laser cut kits to get good glue adhesion. Some things laser cutters are awesome for, balsa kits is not at the top of that list for me.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Terryscustoms over on giant scale news and been getting really good results with his laser cutter. Said he has learned to turn the heat of the laser down so it just barely cuts through the material and it then leaves very little charring to remove.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Motowncali wrote:get a CNC router instead of the laser cutter. I hate having to sand the charred edges off laser cut kits to get good glue adhesion. Some things laser cutters are awesome for, balsa kits is not at the top of that list for me.

I don't care what it is as long as it will cut 90 degree angles. I'm getting backed up on projects real bad.

projects.jpg
projects.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

That's just bro wings. So much more to cut.
Hangar Queen Brewing
allen
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Well you finished mine at least. Huge thanks again on that.

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Texas Hobbies