Critique the EVO cap please!

Critique the EVO cap please!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:57 pm

With demand starting to ramp up for more EVO birds I'm thinking about the design elements that I want to tweak on before the next kit run. I have two options: some minor changes to the build of the cap to allow for a RW option which would make it the Version 4 EVO or I can skip right to my long planned REVO series which is going to significantly alter things.

With all this bouncing around in my head I'd like to hear from those who have built and/or flown my EVO's and get their opinions on what you like, dislike, hate, or want to change. Case found a weak point in the edge's horizontal stab that I'm going to fix in the next run. Has anyone else found something that needs changing?

Please be harsh here - it all helps make a better product in the future! Also, opinions on if you want me to just make these birds obtanium as they are now vs. a whole new version would be appreciated.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Critique the EVO cap please!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:08 pm

fff
Last edited by johnnashville on Tue May 12, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnashville
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Out of curiosity, why thicker balsa on the ribs? I'm using the same stuff that pretty much everyone else uses for planes of this size so I wouldn't have expected a problem.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Nitro rails and a thinner airfoil :mrgreen:

I wanted to take a pull on the Evo Edge just to get a feel for the difference, but Case flew it first...........so yeah. :rolleye:
libido_knievel wrote:I've done a lot of shit. And lost a lot of brain cells in the process but NEVER have I been so fucking high to be able to read what you post, Eagle. That fucking trip your on must be fucking awesome!
Goofy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:47 pm

ddd
Last edited by johnnashville on Tue May 12, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnashville
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Goofy wrote:Nitro rails and a thinner airfoil :mrgreen:

I wanted to take a pull on the Evo Edge just to get a feel for the difference, but Case flew it first...........so yeah. :rolleye:

The cap has nitro rails inside the motor mount so it is slimer ready.

Sorry, nothing I can do about letting Case fly first :twisted:

johnnashville wrote:the kit I got had thin 1/16 (if that) ribs, It was like working with paper.

Yup, 1/16th is what I work with which I inherited way back when since that's the spec for the original mad yak that started this whole crazy thing.

Anyone else feel like the ribs were too thin?
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:16 pm

make it 62.5" wing span for 20cc gas please!
[quote="Wild Fred"]
but especially that servo hoarding ceiling hanging garden tractor driving Carden breaking kit cutting cartoon yak fuselage with funky aileron designing hoosier![/quote]
capthis
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:17 pm

If you want Cappy to fly your cap it's gonna have to be at least 20cc size.... PHUCK LECTRIC! and glow..... :)
[quote="Wild Fred"]
but especially that servo hoarding ceiling hanging garden tractor driving Carden breaking kit cutting cartoon yak fuselage with funky aileron designing hoosier![/quote]
capthis
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Let me amend that first post... looking for design critiques OF THE CURRENT DESIGN :) I may do a bigger one someday to shut up all the gasser guys :P
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Then make sure its a 20cc SU-26 or Su-31 =p
Forever Wicked

Zamfir GBR 32 & RAZOR
Light RC PBF & Rebel Z

Building Board:
Way to many of Ron's kits =p
Wicked_3d
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:13 pm

I posted something a little while ago, but it didn't show up.

My Evo Cap is just about finished. I just need to mount the ESC and locate the batteries to achieve CG. By the way, where is the CG supposed to be?

The fuselage skins gave me some issues before I covered it. They were soft balsa and overhang the frame. I cracked them several times, even trying to be careful. I ended up gluing some EPP between the skins at the canopy area. After covering there wasn't an issue.

No issues with the ribs. They seemed normal thickness to me.

I bought a set of Stix 46 landing gear from Zamfir. They worked fine.

I hope to fly it this week. Flying weight looks like 4 lb 12 oz.
Bob Scheppele
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:38 pm

CG should be in the document I sent everyone for building. If you don't have it I can go track it down. Its almost exactly 1/3 of wing from leading edge including ailerons at root. That'll get you within 1/4".
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:53 pm

I liked the build, it is different than others so it takes a little to get use to it.
the kit was short some sticks that i was able to cut from scrap, we talked about it in the build discussion thread

i only haveabout 6 flights on mine and thelast was at nash, aĺl with very under powered setup, so i dont know what i like or not. I do remember that tail being very responsive :D
RIP Randle P McMurphy 1925 - 1963
nutz
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:18 pm

iBang wrote:CG should be in the document I sent everyone for building. If you don't have it I can go track it down. Its almost exactly 1/3 of wing from leading edge including ailerons at root. That'll get you within 1/4".

Thanks.
Bob Scheppele
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:34 pm

I covered my dislikes in the build thread. a few things I remember though.

1-A couple of the lightening holes in the fuse were in the wrong place.
2-The canopy section lightening holes didn't line up , sheeting to core.
3-The tube floats in the wing since it is 1/2" and the fuse gap in the wing is 5/8"
4-Agree that the ribs should be 3/32 instead of 1/16", Lightening hole in rib next to servo could be changed slightly, my rib just outside the servo bay split from doing blenders. added vertical grain so it won't happen again.

Overall, still absolutely love the Cap, Waiting for the EVO-Edge to show up so I can build it. :rockoncool:

Mo
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Bob Scheppele wrote:
iBang wrote:CG should be in the document I sent everyone for building. If you don't have it I can go track it down. Its almost exactly 1/3 of wing from leading edge including ailerons at root. That'll get you within 1/4".

Thanks.

Just went through the build thread looking for critiques.

Take a quick look at the plans, the CG is 6.5" I have yet to pick mine up by the canopy. Seems that I am always picking it up at the vertical just in front of the canopy.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Hey!!! After I flew it first (all of 43 seconds!) I very promptly canceled my afternoon yoga session and re-hinged both the aileron and elevator! That bird was at 98.5% when I put it back in the slab rack... Ian's the greedy one for selling it off so quickly... :drink: :tu: :rockon: :ray:

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Oh, and as for actual critique... I've flown a MadCap, EvoCap, Mad540, and Evo540... I like them all, and I like where the Evo series took the Mad series for performance evolution... That said, my thoughts are construction related, and listed in no particular order:
- h-stab needs carbon
- elevator joiner is actually a weak point on my proto too. I laid carbon strips along the top and bottom of the joiner, otherwise the torsional stress of a strong swervo, full throw, full throttle, no tail flex snap wants to separate the elevator lobes.
- foam is gone. That's good.
- as cut, it's difficult to shift swervos forward or rearward... You stuffed and balanced mine okay, but had I used even slightly heavier swervos, the motor and battery couldn't have moved farther forward to compensate...
- I wouldn't change the wing at all... Of all the abuse I've given my Evo540, the wing and fuse core are both nearly bulletproof...
- "fuck counterbalances" I say!
- in all control surfaces, all butt joints should be reinforced with tri stock, 1/64" ply, or CNC gussets like an EE... Those surfaces are the weak points.
- now that you've developed an airframe with virtually NO flex, think about the conversation we had regarding hinges and "sacrificial weak points."

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:43 pm

My critique is I haven't flown one! :rant: :wtf: :rofl:
Slide 57/OS 120ax BCP | Bristol 48/OS 55ax DTP | MoAss 40/Saito 82 | Wild Tiger/Saito 56 | Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP | PBF/OS 40fp DTP | Demon/OS 32 QTP
Nitro J.
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Nitro J. wrote:My critique is I haven't flown one! :rant: :wtf: :rofl:

+1
libido_knievel wrote:I've done a lot of shit. And lost a lot of brain cells in the process but NEVER have I been so fucking high to be able to read what you post, Eagle. That fucking trip your on must be fucking awesome!
Goofy
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Texas Hobbies