EVO series updates thread

Re: EVO series updates thread

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:51 pm

I couldn't even emagine sub 5lbs on a 50 size! Heck I'm happy with 4.5-5lbs on a .40!
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Mchone, Jake wrote:I couldn't even emagine sub 5lbs on a 50 size! Heck I'm happy with 4.5-5lbs on a .40!

It is sort of like cheating. You need to take a pull on one of my birds next nashbro and try it out!
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Covering gets old but it always feels nice to start on it. Its that "rounding the corner" point for me where the build feels like its finally coming to an end.

I forgot to build the ailerons so I'm going to have to throw them up on the bench some time but that's easy enough.

A little preview of the colors. Same scheme as the EVO edge:
Attachments
20140427_225355_zps4pgucecv.jpg
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Looks great Ian. Just a teaser. My MY60 is 26.5 ozs covered.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:24 pm

That's impressive! I expect to hit about 28-29 at the same point you're at. I probably could have hit the same weight but my good luck on balsa ran out and the sticks used for the surfaces were a bit heavier grade. Nothing ridiculous but the fuse and wing were made out of some fairly light stuff. I need to adopt Ted's habit of requesting lighter grade wood when it comes time to do the kits so the average stays reasonably light.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 am

CanCanCase wrote:
LoneStar wrote:Hopefully Evo cap proto 1 will be there if I can find a motor that doesn't cost a fortune

Motrolfly 3620 wound to 800kV.

- Case

Is there any concern about the stated warning that the 3620 is NOT intended for stick banging 3D?

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html

The 3620-750 used for 3D flight will not handle hard 3D maneuvers, damage can result to the magnets and stator if repeated blenders, walls, and tumbles are performed and is not covered under warranty. This motor is meant for light 3D systems where slow light 3D is desired. If you are a "Stick Bash r" go with the 4315 which can handle this kind of abuse.

Is there a suitable nitro power system (2 or 4 stroke) for a guy who just can't get into E-gay setups (no matter how superior they are...I just don't fly my electric birds as much)?
Hyperion Sniper X2
Griffwerks MX
Griffwerks Foamie Bipe
LamYak 40
WWRC LamSuk 50cc
Primo 40
Boxes O' Wood - Boxxer Bipe, Stix 46, Yak 55 UL, Skeeter 40
A ridiculously large fleet of various Fatties
sirzepp
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 am

I was thinking when these kits start hitting the street to try a 55ax/DTC on one. The 55 has retarded power for a 40 size, the put out somewhere between 12-13.5+#'s of static thrust on a 13x4.......a 5# bird shouldn't be Shit for a 55 to handle.
libido_knievel wrote:I've done a lot of shit. And lost a lot of brain cells in the process but NEVER have I been so fucking high to be able to read what you post, Eagle. That fucking trip your on must be fucking awesome!
Goofy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 am

Short answer: no concern on a slab - especially one as über-light as an Evo. Motrolfly has to warn that way to cover their butt with all the Fattys their motors go in. That motor will fly a much heavier plane, and I can see where repeated blenders, crankshafts, etc would tear one up. The truth is, a light slab just isn't flown with the loads the FlyingVagaina crew is putting on their planes.

Ian and I are going on at least 2 or 3 second and third-hand motors that have come out of his planes and into mine... The same Motrolfly he had on the LiteBrite MoAss went through a career at his thumbs, a fully abusive life at my thumbs, and was then moved to my LamYak60 at NorCal, and is still going strong.

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 am

You'd be suprized. My 5.5lbs OMP yak was a Brick even with a 55. But aside from a hunnert tht would be the only way to go because a .60-.75 are door stops, and a .90 2s would be way too heavy. This is why I stay away from the 50 size but after watching ian with the cap and flying the edge I have to get one of them and fag power it per Ian's specs. I love how smooth the edge is but I think the cap is a bit looser, but then again I like edges better and I already have loosey goosey slabs so maybe I should go with the edge anyway. I can't afford both.
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:43 am

A saito 82 to 100 would be good power for the nitro guys. I've also thought about a 55 for 2-stroke. There's just not as many good 2-stroke options as there are 4-stroke.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 am

A .55ax/DTC just about tore the tail off my first Yak47... Stock frisbee kit and I build heavy. I imagine the 55 would do just fine on a carefully built Evo... Then again, what do I know?

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

YS 70. Mine is ballistic on the scratched GBR 50, it came out somewhere around 4.5 lbs dry.
Frisbee
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:39 am

Frisbee wrote:YS 70. Mine is ballistic on the scratched GBR 50, it came out somewhere around 4.5 lbs dry.

I forgot YS. Yeah, that would be a great choice. I bet even a YS 63 would do the job.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:51 am

With the weights your turning out then yes. Your 50's weigh what most if my .40's weigh.
Case's mad540 is 6lbs all up with lipos, wing tubes and suitcase tail, aluminum wheels and foam tires and MG servos.
Probably not bad and I certainly was happy with that weight not only in flight but for a .50 size bird.

I have a standard way to build things.

I lay it all out like a puzzle. Cut and dry fit it all togather. Once happy and strait I hit every joint with 3-4 drops of thin ca. Flip over and hit them again. Sand smooth. That's for everything, fuse wings and tail. That's just how I do it.
Any gaps get filled with baking powder and a couple drops of thin ca.
When I cover I over lap every seam by 1/4".
I'm no par or Ian but I'm happy with my stuff. The covering doesn't fall off after shrinking and it doesn't break from a dork and when I get to sit down and build it it gets done QUICK!
I take my time where it counts. I let my OCD take over on details.
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 am

Don't even start comparing me to par! I'm better than I used to be but I'm still a pretty crappy builder. I just try to make every plane a little better.

6lbs is about right for that edge given the setup that is on it. That's what all of my first run 6S setup mad birds were coming out at. Since then I've done a lot to pull weight out. To be honest a lot of that is in using a lighter power system and lightweight covering, but there are a few other places I've gotten more weight out. I'm actually wondering if the latest one I'm working on will come out significantly under 5lbs because of the new motor mount.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:57 am

sirzepp wrote:
CanCanCase wrote:
LoneStar wrote:Hopefully Evo cap proto 1 will be there if I can find a motor that doesn't cost a fortune

Motrolfly 3620 wound to 800kV.

- Case

Is there any concern about the stated warning that the 3620 is NOT intended for stick banging 3D?

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html

The 3620-750 used for 3D flight will not handle hard 3D maneuvers, damage can result to the magnets and stator if repeated blenders, walls, and tumbles are performed and is not covered under warranty. This motor is meant for light 3D systems where slow light 3D is desired. If you are a "Stick Bash r" go with the 4315 which can handle this kind of abuse.

Is there a suitable nitro power system (2 or 4 stroke) for a guy who just can't get into E-gay setups (no matter how superior they are...I just don't fly my electric birds as much)?

a "stick basher" ? those are the guys on rcpoo, who would bash sticks, lose it, stuff it in the dirt, break the motor, then want a refund for "defective" merchandise. The guy knows his clientele.
don't argue with me, or i poop on your chessboard and knock shit over! :D
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 am

Yes, I noticed most of the weight in the edge airframe was from the big motor mount and thick tube. The wings and tail were light. Its probably why it came out a tad nose heavy.
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am

I don't even want to know how much lighter my new mounts are than that one. The new composite mount is almost 6oz lighter than the light ply mounts I made for the V2 EVO caps. I bet the regular ply mounts are 8-9oz heavier.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:20 am

I didn't weigh it but I don't think it was THAT heavy! But it is ply. Large and stiff.
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like the YS 70 is my choice if I'm going nitro and want decent power. Man they are spendy, but the Motrolfly with a good ESC and batteries would probably be around the same.

Either way I'm dreaming right now...other projects wait and the biggest one...baby Page #2 is going to be here in September.

I'm becoming a no-building kit hoarder. I gotta get the Stinson done...it's clogging up the pipeline.
Hyperion Sniper X2
Griffwerks MX
Griffwerks Foamie Bipe
LamYak 40
WWRC LamSuk 50cc
Primo 40
Boxes O' Wood - Boxxer Bipe, Stix 46, Yak 55 UL, Skeeter 40
A ridiculously large fleet of various Fatties
sirzepp
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Texas Hobbies