EVO series updates thread

Re: EVO series updates thread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Motowncali wrote:
iBang wrote:I'm still waiting for the epoxy on the pushrods to dry but I threw it all on a scale for the first time. With the big battery, drumroll........ 4lbs 7oz. With the small battery, 4lbs 4.

Holy crap... I've created a monster. The scary thing is that there's more weight to lose. I didn't build this in mega super weight savings mode. I just tossed it together. With careful balsa selection on the sticks and wire landing gear this is easily a 4lb flat plane. Maybe under if you got creative with the servo selection. You've all seen the videos of the yellow one at 5lbs and change. This should be incredible!

Holy crap. That is nice. With a 3300 4S battery landing gear and four servos I'm at 4 lbs 4 oz. still need pushrods, esc and RX. I must have a really heavy motor and servos.... :rockon:

I'm running a really light motor in mine. I was a bit concerned it would be TOO light, but I think that I may not have needed to worry. As light as the plane is, the smaller motor should work out ok.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Crazy!
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:27 am

I think I could title this photo "order from chaos"

My workshop looks like a tornado hit. There's covering and parts everywhere, the floor is covered in balsa scraps and dust, but I'll be damned if that isn't a fine looking airplane that came out of it all. The only thing left at this point is to pick up the ESC I'm borrowing from rookie and stick it on. Everything else is completely RTF.
Attachments
IMG_0114.JPG
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:37 am

Looks nice. If it flys anything like the one you had at norcal bro ill be wanting one
Mojo40
Slick540
Fuzion
RazorYakARF
E-Yak 32"
32"epp 3DHS Yak
Sabre56
Lanier Radical
Evo Cap (in bones)
Stix46 (in sticks)
LightRC S-Bach 35"
Yak 40(almost there)
Ferro Plane
MikeMcChiken
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:38 am

I think your building table looks just as tidy as mine when I'm building.. :D
Since mine is always a caos, I'm hoping for that that's the only way to go when building :lol:

How much for scratchbuilding plans of your monster?
Nipple Glitter - OS55ax/DTC
Foam Mojo - OS40fp/Heineken beer can
Baby Glitter - some cheap electrical motor
Mojo 40 - Saito 82 (repair or retire, dunno?)
MadYak - YS110 or Saitoe Hunnert (ready to cover)

Bork Bork Bork!
bebop
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 am

bebop wrote:I think your building table looks just as tidy as mine when I'm building.. :D
Since mine is always a caos, I'm hoping for that that's the only way to go when building :lol:

How much for scratchbuilding plans of your monster?

As I've told a lot of people so far, there's so much CNC in this bird you don't want to mess with it. I'll have kits soon enough anyway.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 pm

True that is a mighty fine looking airplane, And after seeing the vid of the yellow one I must say this one should be AWESOME

So please keep me on the list as wanting a kit when they are ready.

Have fun at Hobro!
Fred Rasener

Pro Bro 251

3D wanna be.Still working on the SAVE
Phread
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 pm

It flies!

I put a bunch of flights on the cap at hobro. I'm extremely happy with the results. The new fuse design is really badass. Stiff, light, and looks great under that transparent covering. The new ailerons were nice and responsive, and the light weight was a lot of fun. I'm afraid there's no video just yet but to be honest in terms of flight performance, think of they videos of the yellow cap, just... even a hair better. The old yellow cap was out there and I got to fly it again for comparison. You can tell the difference but you really have to be looking for it.

Based on the notes I took while building I've updated things slightly. The fuse top and bottom are slightly larger wood for durability, the tailwheel block is larger and stronger, the slots in the ailerons for the fiberglass control horns are reinforced, and a few notes have been changed here and there to make the build even easier.

As of now the cap is 100% ready to kit. I have a few questions in with James so that I can get finalized costs and then I will put up a pre-order thread. Expect that in the next couple of days so keep your eyes peeled.
Attachments
image.jpg
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 am

55ax/DTP?... :banana: ... :popcorn:
libido_knievel wrote:I've done a lot of shit. And lost a lot of brain cells in the process but NEVER have I been so fucking high to be able to read what you post, Eagle. That fucking trip your on must be fucking awesome!
Goofy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 am

I thought I would update this a little. I've put a lot more time on the cap at the Bolivar pro bro this past weekend. I didn't really get to do too much flying at hobro because of the wind conditions but I fixed that now.

The cap flies very well. At this point I'm completely satisfied with how it performs. I also did some inadvertent stress testing. Knocked off one elevator and the rudder counterbalance, smacked the tail a bunch of times plus did a skidding inverted dork from a roller that I *almost* pulled out of. As I expected, the light weight really helps the durability. It just doesn't hit the ground hard. It also doesn't break when it does hit. Sure I tore the counterbalances off doing stupid stuff and dinged up the leading edge a bit sliding into a post but I can't really fault it for that... that was all on me. The stuff that was concerning: the new fuse construction and what not seems to be holding up great!

Keep an eye out for kits shortly as the finished cut parts are shipping to me at the moment.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 am

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Mojo40
Slick540
Fuzion
RazorYakARF
E-Yak 32"
32"epp 3DHS Yak
Sabre56
Lanier Radical
Evo Cap (in bones)
Stix46 (in sticks)
LightRC S-Bach 35"
Yak 40(almost there)
Ferro Plane
MikeMcChiken
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:45 pm

So with the cap kits well on their way to being in stock, what is next for the EVO series?

Well, the edge needs to be updated and brought into production. I may go searching for a volunteer to build up the prototype for that one since I'm getting a little burnt out on building the same thing over and over again and I have other fish to fry.

Smaller versions of the cap and edge are definitely in order. At this point I see no reason to haul a 50" bird around when I'm convinced that I can get the same performance out of something down a 43-44" of wingspan. Again, I may get someone else to build these up for me.

I also have a few new ideas kicking around in my head for the cap and edge designs. The current planes are at what I would call revision 3 but I'm thinking it may be time to kick them up to a revision 4 and possibly step entirely outside of the EVO series name with some completely new design elements. We'll see, I'm getting a little burnt out at the moment so I may take a breather from designing to work on non-RC projects before jumping back into the new stuff.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Texas Hobbies