EVO series updates thread

EVO series updates thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:48 pm

So I've just spent the last few days at norcal bro flying the snot out of Case's EVOedge production prototype (thanks again bro!)

The good news:

The flight performance of the edge new edge is awesome. Worlds above the old version edge and just a ton of fun to throw around hard. Weight is dead on identical to my bird at 5lbs 2oz and the power with the 800KV version of the motrolfly 3620 has to be seen to be believed. The cap has always been more my style than the edge which was designed for Andy, but even with that in mind the new bird was one sweet ride. I honestly think I probably outdid my cap video contest flights with it a time or two.

The bad news:

I definitely don't like the EPP core nose and canopy area. Its just too squishy and hard to work with. I'm going to re-design both birds for wood-only construction. That will slow the run to production down a little bit while I get the cad files done and new production prototypes in but I'm still shooting for having kits at hobro this year. That's April 5th so you can figure on a pre-order run pretty soon.

Stay tuned here for more details!
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: EVO series updates thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3l55eJCJmc

I think we only got one video of the edge at norcal. Sorry its so short, I dumped it in on the canopy with a botched tailslide (which it does awesome by the way). Also the only damage from that hit was a crack to the rudder counterbalance.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:53 pm

iBang wrote:So I've just spent the last few days at norcal bro flying the snot out of Case's EVOedge production prototype (thanks again bro!)

The good news:

The flight performance of the edge new edge is awesome. Worlds above the old version edge and just a ton of fun to throw around hard. Weight is dead on identical to my bird at 5lbs 2oz and the power with the 800KV version of the motrolfly 3620 has to be seen to be believed. The cap has always been more my style than the edge which was designed for Andy, but even with that in mind the new bird was one sweet ride. I honestly think I probably outdid my cap video contest flights with it a time or two.

The bad news:

I definitely don't like the EPP core nose and canopy area. Its just too squishy and hard to work with. I'm going to re-design both birds for wood-only construction. That will slow the run to production down a little bit while I get the cad files done and new production prototypes in but I'm still shooting for having kits at hobro this year. That's April 5th so you can figure on a pre-order run pretty soon.

Stay tuned here for more details!

dibbs on a kit :popcorn:
athol probro stickbangers club

"There is room in the Hood for everyone, but not everybody finds a home in the Hood"
- goofy-

"Best part is if you dork a harrier from a few feet up, it's like a decent CJ landing" -steener-
doinkedit
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:31 pm

I heard McChicken got vid of the Edge too, but I could be mistaken (or drunk, or hungover.... All are just as likely!)

Guys, this slab is INSANE! Zero flex behind the wing at all. My skill set is limited, but where I usually get 1 turn and then mush in a high speed power-off snap, I had this thing doing doubles and triples... KE spins and waterfalls turn right on the spar, and the whole thing is amazingly light. I dare say (guess) power to weight and wing loading were better than most of the 60-class 6S e :gay: birds I've flown.

Al, keep posting dibbs and other irrelevant comments just so I can see Jordan in your AV!

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Sounds like another sweet plane from Texas Hobbies.
If You MUST Burn The American Flag Please INHALE DEEPLY After It's Lit
whtbronco
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:24 pm

watching Ian fly the edge was awesome this past weekend :rockon: . I did take a turn on the sticks, it is so precise that it really shows how bad a pilot I am. I think my style is "Rough" at best. But Ian's edge was awesome, WTG Ian :tu: :tu:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:23 pm

I absolutely loved the way it flew. Super light and precise! Looking forward to building V whatever it will be. Balsa core, no EPP. :tu: :tu: on the design and lay out. I will likely even build it E :gay:
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 am

I just re finished the mad edge for case. My first try with the RW didn't work so well so it didn't make it to this Probro but I think case will be much happier with this one, but unfortunately it sounds like its behind the curve, lol.

I flew the first flight and noticed wing flex so I had to redo the spars and sleeve them. Now its balls cold and more snow so I can't test it just yet but ill say if the edge could get any better than the mad edge I'd almost be scared to fly it! :P
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 am

If you kept it light I'd say that it will be a good portion of the plane that the new evo is, but without the new fuse construction and wing it won't quite match it for all out performance.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 am

CanCanCase wrote:I heard McChicken got vid of the Edge too, but I could be mistaken (or drunk, or hungover.... All are just as likely!)

Guys, this slab is INSANE! Zero flex behind the wing at all. My skill set is limited, but where I usually get 1 turn and then mush in a high speed power-off snap, I had this thing doing doubles and triples... KE spins and waterfalls turn right on the spar, and the whole thing is amazingly light. I dare say (guess) power to weight and wing loading were better than most of the 60-class 6S e :gay: birds I've flown.

Al, keep posting dibbs and other irrelevant comments just so I can see Jordan in your AV!

- Case

ok
athol probro stickbangers club

"There is room in the Hood for everyone, but not everybody finds a home in the Hood"
- goofy-

"Best part is if you dork a harrier from a few feet up, it's like a decent CJ landing" -steener-
doinkedit
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 am

Dammit Ian, you freaked me out a little with that April 5 date! Please confirm you meant Cinco de Mayo?! I mos def want a turn on the sticks!! :superhappy:
I just booked my flight today :tu: HoBro - there is no substitute :drink: ... except for Athol and Nash, of course :rockon:
Slide 57/OS 120ax BCP | Bristol 48/OS 55ax DTP | MoAss 40/Saito 82 | Wild Tiger/Saito 56 | Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP | PBF/OS 40fp DTP | Demon/OS 32 QTP
Nitro J.
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 am

Hopefully Evo cap proto 1 will be there if I can find a motor that doesn't cost a fortune
LoneStar
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:39 am

I need to make a hobro

Ian, havnt weighed it but it doesn't feel any heavier than my beat up mojo40!
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:28 pm

LoneStar wrote:Hopefully Evo cap proto 1 will be there if I can find a motor that doesn't cost a fortune

Motrolfly 3620 wound to 800kV.

- Case
Nothing significant to report at this time...
Half-Rack
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:29 pm

I was hoping to find a hobby king or value hobby priced motor but all I see in that size has the wrong KV
LoneStar
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:16 pm

after flying this at norcal, i'll say the design power package, and flight characteristics are WILD FRED approved! next generation of slabs is here!
don't argue with me, or i poop on your chessboard and knock shit over! :D
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:46 pm

I have some video and will try to download it this weekend.
Mojo40
Slick540
Fuzion
RazorYakARF
E-Yak 32"
32"epp 3DHS Yak
Sabre56
Lanier Radical
Evo Cap (in bones)
Stix46 (in sticks)
LightRC S-Bach 35"
Yak 40(almost there)
Ferro Plane
MikeMcChiken
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 pm

I flew it at NorCal also. It flys great! Well beyond my ability to wring it out. Survives "Nutting in" as well. Sorry Alan.
RIP Duke, Daddy loves you ALWAYS!
Thumbskull "Wulfie is the Liberace of ProBro's". RIP John, you are missed Brother.
Mchone Jake. "My gym teacher touched me! I didn't mind it"!
Evan Shadix. "wish apc had a trade in program"!
rcaircraftnut
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 am

LoneStar wrote:I was hoping to find a hobby king or value hobby priced motor but all I see in that size has the wrong KV

You could try one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... unner.html

The specs are about right but its untested.

Personally I'd stick with the tried and true 3620 wound to 800. You'll pay a bit more but it is bulletproof reliable and the performance is outstanding. I was blown away by how good it was at 800kv on case's bird.
www.texas-hobbies.com

The Texas hitman
iBang
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 am

CanCanCase wrote:
LoneStar wrote:Hopefully Evo cap proto 1 will be there if I can find a motor that doesn't cost a fortune

Motrolfly 3620 wound to 800kV.

- Case

Case,

What prop are you using?
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Texas Hobbies